Pregnancy 35+ Community
Can smoking pot by your spouse affect the baby's health?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I am 38 years old and have been married for 2 years. My husband & I are thinking of trying to have a baby (we have no other kids). My husband smokes pot and has smoked pot for a very long time and smokes a lot of pot. My question is - does anyone know if becoming pregnant from "pot infected sperm" (for lack of a better term) can damage the baby? I am already worried because of my age and I don't want to take any other risks. We both want a child, but he doesn't want to give up the pot. He has smoked it since he was 16 and truly - it hardly even affects him. I don't like the fact that he does it, but I have sort of learned to live with it. When we were still dating he promised he would quit before we ever had a child. But, that's a whole other issue. My question at this time is - can getting pregnant while your husband has pot in his system somehow affect the baby? I would appreciate anyones input on this. I know what some of you might be thinking and you know what? I'm probably thinking it too - so please save the lectures for someone else. I'm not that young any more and my window is running out fast and I feel like if I am ever to have a child - it needs to be sooner rather than later. It's not like I'm in my 20's and can just get a divorce and start over. Besides, I do love my husband. He is great in every other aspect. So, please - I would appreciate some input here. Not sure where else to turn - I really don't want to discuss this with family members. Thanks.
Hi there!  First off, no need to explain.  This forum is about helping, not judging.  

I would probably talk this issue over with a Dr. to be certain, but as far as I know there shouldn't be any issue with the health of the baby.  I do know that prolonged pot use can impact fertility, but am not certain if that is just in women or not.  Of course once you are pregnant, you should not be exposed to second hand smoke of any kind..cigarette or pot - as you know everything you breathe in the baby is, so that is really important.  Make sure it's not in the house, or around you.  And then there is the issue of exposing the baby to it, etc., but I know you have probably already considered that.  Babies and children shouldn't be around an abuser of any substance. Honestly, I really do think those are the only challenges you face.  I really highly doubt that the fact that he is a regular user will impact his sperm in terms of creating any sort of abnormality.  

I do think you should probably have this conversation with a Dr.  Their job is to assist, not judge, so try to keep them to the point, know what I mean?  You may find yourself getting a bit of a lecture, but at least you will get your questions answered.  Again though, I would be surprised if there was an issue.  

I hope you update us as I am curious as to what a Dr. says...particularly the fertility issue.  

Good luck, I hope all works out for you!!

Hi, i would just like to say im no doctor but i can only tell you what other people have told me as i was in a similar situation, well i was the one who smoked pot and did quite often and had been in the early stages of my previous pregnancy as i didnt know i was pregnant. I stopped smokin as soon as i found out and havent smoked since. My OH also smoked pot with me but hadnt smoked it for long. Anyway ill get to the point lol I was told that if he had been smoking it for a long time (hes 47) it can make men infertile but so does smoking cigarettes. If you are smoking pot during the prenancy then thats where you could have problems they say it can increase the risk of miscarage, smaller birth weights and possible link to learning difficulties etc but a lot of this hasnt been medicaly proven as its difficult to say wheather its the smoking of tobacco or pot but they both are obviously not good for you and baby.
As for pot makin the sperm 'infected' i can only assume that the same would apply for those men that drink heavily??? my man has been a heavy drinker for over 20 years and most likely was drunk when we conceived but i dont think that would neccaserily mean that the baby born from that sperm would somehow have the 'affects' from that??
It is difficult to answer really as he always said to me 'my whole family are drinkers so i dont stand much of a chance' but i think that is more learnt behavour rather than genetics (im sure many would say im wrong)
I f the sperm would be affected by pot it would probably be more lazy and you may find it more difficult to concieve (conceive) but i really cant think of any reason why it would mean your baby would be any different because of it. As long as you dont smoke and you dont sit around hubby when he smokes im sure youll be fine. But id really interested to see what other responses you get as i say im no doctor. Good luck with the baby makin and i hope you get what you dream of xxx emma x
i took so long to write that, adgal and i have writen the same sort of thing lol! good luck let us know how you get on
I cant speak for anyone else but my first two kids where weed spermies lol I mean my hubby does not smoke anymore i guess he grew out of it but we both smoked for a while and I quit with both of them about 6 months into the pregnancy. This is not a hey he shouldnt stop because he should but I had two perfectly healthy happy and extra smart girls who attend academy schools so I wouldnt worry to much but when the baby is born he should def stop smoking!
So I got curious and did a little reading on this subject.  Basically, what I found was what I sort of suspected.  There is no evidence of chromosonal abnormalites from pot smoking in fathers, however it does decrease and slow down the sperm.  So it can impact fertility.  Other then that, its basically the common sense stuff..pregnant women should stay away, just like they would from exposure to tobacco smoke, or drinking, etc.  

Good luck to you again!

Just wanted to add a bit of info... I have taught drug addiction classes and the truth is .. That no one really knows theveffevts on the spermor on a developing fetus... I willnsay the same to you that o did to my students... The process of making and growing and raising a baby has many risks not to be negative... Why add to them and if you decide to TTC and get regnant you need to be careful when being on contact with anything he touches or wears when he is smoking cause the resin is worse then the second hand smoke... The same As tobacco!!! It goes everywhere and builds u and stays for long periods of time... Just be aware...

As Hebraic it runs in the family... Medical science has discovered a addiction gene and it can be triggered in a baby by the use of substances by either ther the mother or the father!!!

Good luck with your decision...
My understanding is that it mainly affects fertility because of slowed down sperm motility. Just as the other ladies said lol! Best wishes and ssbd to you!
Ok, I was married to a heavy pot smoker and smoker....I got pg right away 15 years ago....but he should still stop at least until after you get pg...my new DH is an alcoholic but wants a baby so badly that he quit alcohol 2 months ago, wears loose pants and is taking care of himself...
SSBD
Melanie
My father has been a heavy pot smoker for at least 45 years and I'm the oldest of 5 children. Not something that I would recomend exposing a child to but it didn't seem to affect his fertility.
Thanks so much to all of you for your support and comments. I will definitely take the advice and talk to my doctor, but I really wanted to hear from some "real" people who have been through similar situations. Just so you all know - I don't smoke pot, never have, and never plan to. And my husband smokes it in the garage - he is not allowed to smoke in the house and he knows better. However, I am a bit concerned about the comment of the resin being on him and that being harmful to the baby. I had never thought of that before.

We had a huge fight this weekend because I asked him to stop smoking before we got pregnant (not the first time). I went off the pill a month ago and after he got all pissed off this weekend and said some really mean things to me - I decided to go back on the pill. So, I'm now back on the pill and not sure what is going to happen. I'm confused but need to decide pretty quickly what is going to happen. He said he will stop smoking once we have the baby. Maybe I should just trust in him to do the right thing.  I do appreciate all the comments made about the  normal babies born from pregnancies where there was pot smoking involved (by the man). That gives me some hope and comfort. To be honest - I'm absolutely horrified of child birth and part of me I think is looking for some excuses not to get pregnant. To make matters worse - my husband was laid off a month ago so we are stressed about that.

What does SSBD mean?

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for caring. :-)

Amy
I have to tell you that I really respect you for the way you are thinking about this.  I think if you do choose to have a baby you are going to make a wonderful mom. So many don't take the time to look at the entire circumstance of their life the way you do and it's sad because bringing another life into this world is probably the most important decision and responsibility we will ever make.

I have to tell you I personally don't think that smoking pot is a big deal...I am pro legalization actually.  I personally don't like it, but don't think its that bad a thing.  The concern I would have if this were me is that he doesn't see the importance in giving it up to have a baby.  I hope he comes around and you are able to come to the right decision for you!

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope you choose to stick around.

Amanda

Oh...SSBD means Super Sticky Baby Dust!!
you know besides possible health risks you have to look at the rest of the picture as well.  seeing as its illegal what if the police were to find it?  they will not care that you say it isnt yours, they will remove the child from your care.  is that worth is? i know you are not smoking nor would you want this but its something else for your partner to realize.  

i hope you both can find something that works for you as a couple and as parents.
From experience (not me, my DH), no chromosomal abnormalities have been detected via sperm. However, it can affect the sperm motility, mobility, count, etc. We were fortunate that he was the exception---huge count and all turned out well.

But it is now a continuing issue for me value/moral. I'm not saying I don't understand the usage but for me, it's getting old. If it's a once in a while, alone, at an adult-only party--I get it. But daily usage? I think there is more going on that meets the eye (ADD? Coping mechanism? etc). And those issues shoudl be discussed, possibly by a professional.

But again, medically, no evidence for the baby. Just possibly making a baby can be affected. The good news is once they stop using 100%, counts, etc. can go back to normal. Good luck.
Hey all ... Just wanted to say that the use of marijuana is NOT illegal everywhere... There are states in the US and around the world that have legalized it...  It is illegal to drive under the influence of it, in EVERY state and the laws will be getting tougher about this. And THC stays in the system for months especially for daily users... It can take 60 days or more to get occasional use out of the blood or urine...

Statisics and medical results say that it does less medical damage to the human body than alcohol does including to the developing fetus, but it does impact the brain in different ways and has been known to have the same results when detoxing as getting off caffeine. But in some cases more extreme...

The other peice that has come up is the moral/value issue. To me it's not morals or values but why does he NEED to alter his consciousness on a daily basis??? What is he escaping from ??? And do you wish to bring a child into a relationship that has that as a part of it...

I Agee with Adgal... It is really good that you are asking these questions and taking your tome before just doing which so many people do!!! I applaud you and your process...

We are here if you need us!!! This place is the best for support!!!

I am pregnant to my partner who smokes pot quite heavily, and i think this is why he had very bad sperm morphology, his chances of becoming a father were quite slim, so it was quite a miracle i fell pregnant, and we are both 37. However, all is healthy and well with my pregnancy so far (23 weeks) so i wouldn't worry too much about the actual health of the baby from pot.
I know this is an old thread but there is something here that jumps out at me that I have to say to anyone for anyone that is still looking for answers on a situation such as this...

I first have to applaud CnfsdnCo - she was obviously thinking of the well-being of her child first and I wish her well. Now I now that the general concensus on this forum is that pot is fine, yada yada yada. But when someone can't give it up, or comes up with deadline after deadline on when they will give it up, that is a problem. And it's no different from from an alcohol, gambling, or hard core drug problem. The behavior is the same. Rationalize all you want. If you refuse to put down the blunt in favor of a child, that is a problem.