Pregnancy 35+ Community
Concerns

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Concerns

I wanted to share some news of my own:   my husband had a mole removed from his arm last week and the biopsy revealed melanoma.  Luckily he caught it early but the margins weren't clear so he's having a deeper, wider excision made w/a skin graft to make sure all of the cancer's gone.  It's been a strange week.  While it was a shock to find out about the melanoma, it's a relief that it was found so quickly although he's noticed this mole for two months (he's in trouble).

Please pray for us that he has clear margins free of cancer - melanoma's extremely dangerous once it reaches the 'airports' (lymph nodes).  That's what the surgeon called them yesterday - funny - ha, ha!  You ladies have been so supportive of me during my ttc, pregnancy and post partum!

Oh one more thing - i too have to have hernia repair surgery - good grief!  I was irritated about it until I read Rachel's post today and realized that it's a trivial thing to deal with & I needed to get over it!
jen you and DH are in my prayers, I know what you mean about rachels post, I start to cry every time I think about it. How dare I complain when she is going thru such heartache, Please keep us posted, and as I said I will pray to god this went no farther, you have certainly had your share of c rap going on. when are you having your hernia repain, good grief, is the hernia new since noah, or have you had it for a while.  
If it helps you any, My dh has had melanoma in a few places, 18 years ago. because it was cought early it has been under control.
Make sure He keeps the  check ups in time to come.. Just incase more pop up. My dh will stilll have them come and gets them cut out to this day. his poor back looks like a road map from threw out the years.
just wanted you to know.... theres hope
you have your hands full.. Hang in there, Its got to get better yes?
thanks Teresa and Luci!!

The hernia appeared (huh) right after Noah's birth.  They think it happened during pregnancy.  I think it was the c-section - ha, ha!

Thanks for the inspiration and hope, Teresa.  I really think he's going to be okay - it's just scary.  Thank goodness he had it checked but you're right - he's going to have check ups every 5 years 6 months apart to make sure there's no more cancerous moles.
Wow Jen! You all can't catch a break can you!! I will certainly keep you and DH in my prayers!! Glad everything came back okay with DH's mole!! And with the hernia- I had two repaired in 04 along with a gallbladder removal!.. ALL at the SAME time!! Kind of glad it was together though, I sure wouldn't want to go through any more surgeries then I have to! I can just imagine the pain you must be in! I know I could hardly do anything for the longest time after they got so bad, and I didn't even know it was a hernia until I found out I had to have my gallbladder removed. They went in to check it out and asked me if I had been in pain for some time and when I said yes and they told me what it was I was flown for a loop!! I just thought it was from my gallbladder! The thing about it was.. I knew I needed my gallbladder removed, but didn't have any insurance so I kept putting it off.. until I found out about the TWO hernias.. ugh!! then I HAD to have surgery! I went to Ohio State University Hospital.. only because the would do the surgery without insurance and put me up on a payment plan... Ended up costing me 52,000.00 though :o(.. but just for the pain to go away it sure was worth it!!

I will keep praying for you!! When you having the surgery done?
I'm having mine done August 22 and he's having his Aug 8 - as you can imagine, his takes precedence.  He's doing so good w/all of this.  When he told me about the melanoma, I just burst into tears but I'm so thankful that it was caught in time.

Gosh Patty that's a lot of $$!  I wish I could have a tummy tuck while getting that d@mned hernia repaired.  Wouldn't that bre cool?  At least I don't have to have a general.  That always wiped me out.  I can't believe you had TWO hernias - where were they located?

I'm not in a lot of pain from the hernia - the main reason they're repairing it is so it won't get bigger.
Hiatal and Umbilical Hernias... so... stomach and naval regions. I was in tremendous pain for a couple years! Yeah a tummy tuck would have been great to add in there! They just put this mesh stuff around mine and so far so good! But I have heard from DH (speaking from experience) that Canada is the best place to have the surgery! They are lots cheaper and higher success rates.. I just couldn't afford to travel out of Ohio at the time!
Wow, you have so much coming at you right now.  I will keep your DH in my prayers and I hope all turns out well.  It is so great it was caught fairly early though.  My mom had that on her arm and I am happy to tell you that 4 years later, she is still fine.  She did have to have a bit of radiation therapy on it as she too let the mole go longer then she should of, but no recurrence.  I hope that story gives you some comfort.  Take care of yourself as well.  Hernia repair usually has no complications, so besides being sore, I bet you are back to normal in no time at all. All the best to you and your family.
hey jen

i'm so sorry to hear about this..  i'll pray for both of you even tho i know you will both be fine...  

In the whole grand sceem of things, 2 months probably isn't that long. some people put off going to the dr for years..

Hang in there..
Well der.... I was wondering why you weren't giving me the details!  I didn't realize you had posted about it.  I'm praying for both of you. I just know everything is going to turn out fine.  

Do you want me to take care of Noah while you get your hernia surgery???

Yes Sharon I want you to come to New Mexico and take care of my child since my mother has so far shown no interest in wanting to even be around him!!  Girl, you are soo sweet to say that!  I think caring for No after the surgery is going to be interesting - I look forward to the challenge - I'm not kidding you!  I think dh and I are going to have to get creative.  Noah's going to have to be able to sit up really, really fast :-))

I swear he and I are getting to be ol' fogeys!  It's kind of funny though.  I'm so grateful that the cancer was caught early!!  I cried a few tears though at the beginning.  Thanks for your stories! - jen
Jen,
OMG where the HELL have I been????? I'm so sorry I havent been around!!!!
You know you and DH are in my prayers.  And Sharon has to take a number behind me to care for No!!!!! I didnt get a chance to read everyone else's post yet but will do it now I just wanted to comment ASAP...and I'll PM ya about MIL
((Sheila))
I will certainly keep  you both in my thoughts and prayers... I know he will be just fine =) You all have been through alot... geez I think you both need a well deserved break... ! like a nice quite Island ..hehhe ..you would be sure to recover quickly !!!

Hugs

Kelly & Ty
thanks for your prayers, Sheila and Kelly!  Kelly I can't believe your baby's 4 months old -what a big boy!

Sheila - you know I'd love for you to take care of baby No!!  He'd love it too -ya know, I was thinking of Saraya not sleeping through the night and how happy I am that No had done so the past week.  Anyway, wouldn't you know it but the little stinker woke up at 1:30 - just like old times - to p-a-r-t-a-y w/his poor ol' mommy!  I'm so tired that I've gone into the hysteria stage & can't stop laughing!
HOLLY CRA.P woman!!!! you and Wade are in my thoughts, heart and prayers!!!! we are sending you all our love, all our best wishes and you know how much I love you girl!!!! I am SOOOO SOOO GLAD that thing was cought early!!! and yes, he is in big  trouble! ;)

Girlie, please keep us updated ok?? How are you doing other than dealing with all that, and your own health?? =( I am SO sorry you're going thru this!

How's my baby's boyfriend? heheheh, sorry ladies, Noah is taken....

I am upset this morning since my parents are leaving tonight and probably not coming back for a while.... plane prices are going in-sane!!!  we'll try to bring them up again in December... we'll see... =(

Maddie is going to the babysitter on thursday! =((((( (hell yeah im taking wednesday off!! my boss is being a ***** here lately, and im at the point of just about not caring much anymore!!!)

*sighs* oh honey, I miss you so much!

but you're right I look like a damn wimp when I think of our friend Rachel...... I am horribly shocked by it.... =;(
my heart aches so bad for her.....
((((HUGS))))