Pregnancy 35+ Community
Cord Blood Banking question

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Cord Blood Banking question

Hi Guys,
I had my 25 week check-up yesterday where I started discussing several things with the doc in terms of delivery and such.  One of them was on Cord Blood Banking.  We were considering on doing that with Viacord company.  A lot of our friends did it when they had babies even my close friend with Twins.  However, my doctor doesn't suggest it, bec it creates risks during delivery especially during c-section.  Appearantly it takes 2 min to collect blood from each of the babies.  So if he starts with baby A after he is born there will be 2min lag before he starts delivering baby B and then another 2min before he starts sowing me up.  If he does it after he delivers both babies he'll spend at least 4 min extracting cord blood before he gets back to sowing me up, and his main concern is that I'll loose blood and will need a transfusion or something.  This really freaked me out, and now I'm not sure any more whether we should do it or not.  
The doctor even said that there is no guarantee that these things will be useful in the future.

So I'm full of questions on this and looking for any advise or your experiences.  

Thank You.
I'm not certain when they actually do the cord blood banking process after deliver, however we banked with Viacord for our 2nd and 3rd babies, each were delivered by c-section. My doctor said it was an easy process and no trouble at all.
I have checked out both viacord, and CBR.. Viacord has not stopped hounding me since I placed the phone call. I also have family that has banked cord blood and went thru CBr.
Yeah Im cloudy on this one too....its not cheap and while I do understand the benefits. Id almost feel better putting this same $ into an education fund.
I'm interested in it, too.  I thought the blood was taken from the cord and not from the baby.  I don't want the cord cut until the placenta is birthed.  I wonder if this will conflict with collection.
So I spoke to few more friends, and everyone says that during the c-section there is another doctor assisting your regular OBGYN.  My doctor hasn't mentioned that he'll have a helper so maybe that's why he's concerned about doing everythin on his own.

as far as cost goes, for twins it is 2500 upfront, but they can break that down into 5 monthly payments, then it is like 300 per year, I have heard conflicting thoughts, some say the blood is only good for 10 years others say good forever.. some say it is very early in the process while others say cord blood has saved their child, I think its a very personal choice, and a very expensive one, I still have not decided what I am going to do. but what ever my choice is doesnt mean i love my kids any more or any less.    
Someone clipped a newspaper article for me recently about this topic.  After reading it, my husband-to-be and I preliminarily decided to use a public bank.  From what we read, it sounded like someone would rarely ever need to use their own cord, and if you bank it publicly, there are 2 benefits:  (1) someone else will be able to use it; and (2) if you or your baby ever needs it, the bank will guarantee you get the help you need.  
PS third benefit:  I think the public bank is free.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers