Pregnancy 35+ Community
Dental x-rays at 26 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dental x-rays at 26 weeks

to my surprise, the dental hygenist today recommended i get x-rays, because i didn't last time. (last time i 'thought' i may have been pregnant, and was but didn't test positive yet).
anyway, i said, 'i can't i'm pregnant'

she said, 'but you are in your 3rd trimester, you'll be fine.'

i said, 'i'd rather not be exposed to the radiation.'  (i also think i'm a week or 2 away from my 3rd trimester...but who's counting?)

2 weeks ago my hubby had a bone scan, and i had to stay 8 ft. away from him for 24 hours because they injected something in him... radiation... anyway... i didn't get the x-rays and was shocked she was trying to talk me into it.  i thought we weren't supposed to be exposed to radiation during pregnancy.
during one of my pregnancies they wanted to do a chest xray.  the tech told me right before i was going to get it that if i was his wife he wouldn allow it.  so i left w/ no xray.  my ashtma dr asked why i didnt get it and he said i would have been fine.  who cares, i felt more comfortable not doing it.  you gotta go by your gut instinct.  :)  good choice.  i wouldnt get it done either.   even if they told me it was fine i wouldnt do it
i found these sites:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/xrayduringpregexpert/

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/fetal/373.html

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/xrays.html

Even though the risks of dental x-rays are small, i'd rather not take the chance, and glad I stood my ground, since its an unnecessary xray.  
wouldn't risk it.. better just to wait...
My dental hygenist asks every time I need xrays and will not do it regardless if there is a chance I may be pg. It's not a life altering decision so I would hold off. I went 3 cleanings w/o xrays.
yea... I cant believe she even pushed the subject... she should know her job and not have even concidered it.
I wouldnt want to risk the patient, even though it is low odds.
thanks for posting...
I've heard no x-rays while pregnant. My 7 year old needed a wrist x-ray recently and I even went outside the room into the hallway, which was protected by reinforced walls and doors.

Dental x-rays are not mandatory anyway, and they can most definitely wait until your next visit, when you are not pregnant. It's not worth the risk.  Good for you to stand up for yourself !!!

You may want to mention the incident to whoever the head dentist, owner, whoever is at your dentist. That just does not seem safe.
I agree - talk to your dentist.  The only reason I can think of doing a dental x-ray is to diagnose something more serious as I read an article by Dr. Gerald diLeo on babyzone who said there's a study linking teeth problems to pre-term labor.  When I went for my cleaning while ttc though, my dentist wouldn't do an x-ray on me for fear that I might already by pregnant.
i sont think that he should be even telling to have one because your baby doctor will tell you it's a nono so i would'nt do it it's so unsafe.and you should tell him that your prego.