Pregnancy 35+ Community
Diapers

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Diapers

My husband and I will be having a girl in 2 months. Yay. We are trying to prepare as much as possible before her arrival. We started purchasing Pampers when we go to the grocery store. However, I heard a person talking about be careful because some diapers work better with girls than boys.

So my question...which brand of diapers work best for girls?

Thank you!
Casey
Tags: diaper
It's more of a child to child basis rather than dependent on gender.  Each child is built differently, so each diaper fits differently.  My kids all had small waists and HUGE thighs.  I used Pampers... and, well, now I use cloth because I've found them to be far more adjustable to fit my child the way they need to.  It's going to be trial and error - but, for the most part, you probably won't run into much error unless your baby ends up with a body shape that is different from the norm.
I have a boy, and can tell you that Pampers were the best for him.  And he was super tiny at birth...under 5lbs.  I tried Huggies and they leaked.  I was talking to a friend who has both, and she swears Huggies for girls and Pampers for boys.  I don't have a girl, so I can't swear to that of course.

Congrats on your little girl!!
I have one of each and for my son pampers only. For my daughter huggies or pampers seemed to work fine. Congrats!
we are doing cloth...
Since I am a greeny... I will be using cloth ... My friends think I am crazy but after doing lots of reading... I think they are best all around and research shows in the end they are about the same cost...

Congrats on the upcoming event!!!
Actually, I've only been cloth diapering for just over 3 months and they've already paid for themselves.  Of course, it greatly depends on which type of diaper you're using and whatnot  - but we're using fancy schmancy AI2s and everything still looks close to brand new.  Even with potential replacements due to wear and tear (and forgetful husbands), we estimate a savings of $600-1000 total by switching to cloth - which includes the cost of water usage, but doesn't include savings from the first 9 months of baby's life.  That doesn't include use for a second baby or the return you can get if you resell them when you're done with them.  So, unless you go a little crazy with buying more diapers than you need, cloth should save you a lot of money.  It's just the startup cost that kills you. :)
cloth is cheaper, better for the planet, better for your baby's skin (diaper rash is common is disposables and rare in cloth diapered babies) and they are WAY easier than the ones our parents had to use because they come in prefolds, fitted, etc so you don't even need to learn to pin if you don't want to. :)
pampers from birth for a girl, she was also tiny 5lbs10oz.  i tried huggies and i didn't like them, although having said that i do use huggies overnights when she got into size 3 pampers for the day
Huggies worked well for our little girl.

That said babies come in all different shapes and sizes so you will need to experiment to find what works best for your little one.  As she grows, you may find that you need to change brands.

Whatever you do, don't buy too many until you know what works and for the simple fact she will grow very quickly at first so could go up in size very quickly.

I have always loved Pampers, until they added in the drymax.  That has caused huge rashes for us.  So I actually go online (ebay or amazon) and find the old style pampers and buy them.  I use Pampers Babydry or the Target Brand if I don't have the pampers on-hand (these actually work very well) at night time for our daughter.  Used cloth with her until she was daytime potty trained.  With my son I used only Pampers Swaddlers than Cruisers.  Again I loved these until they made them with the drymax.  SO many chemicals in these things it's scary.  This next one, I found the old style swaddlers online to use for the first few months and then we will again use cloth.
A wealth of information! Thank you!!
I use Fisher Price diapers. I had a bunch of coupons for 2 packs for the price of 1 pack so I am using my many packs of diapers (I had bought various sizes). I have had 2 leaks so far I think, I am sure they compare well with other brands.

I did like the Pampers Swaddlers for newborns, they used them at the maternity for my son so I had bought a few packs after coming back home, as well as some Huggies. I also used cloths when he was a newborn but now that I am back at work, I have no time to clean cloths.
Pampers worked great for both my daughters. Huggies leaked for both. I will say that Luvs was my favorite though and is not as expensive as the others. Sometimes more expensive does not mean better.I also liked the Target Brand as mentioned above.
We also did some cloth when our daughter (now 2.5) was born.  But pretty much every hospital around here uses pampers swaddlers for all newborns and they really are the best!  So we used those and cloth until she was a little older and then pretty much used everything - or whatever was on sale.  :)
Diapers? It really dosen't matter what brand you get but never get Store Brand ones. On my baby boy they leaked and ww where on holiday and when he did his thiing in them they ripped (sigh). And now I do use pampers and they are quite good and my son loves them because they are soft and he has never got a rash from them!!!!! ^-^ oh and congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey use whatever they cost alot , just change the baby like you should and you should have no problems.