Pregnancy 35+ Community
Discharge and vaginal odor during pregnancy

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ok this is an intimate one but we seem pretty open on this page....but did anyone notice a change in vaginal odor and discharge during their pregnancy?? All the books and websites Ive been on not ONE mentioned this.  And its just odd smelling (of course I have HYPERSENSITIVE nose these days too).  But I just recently noticed it. And the discharge is very slight no spotting or anything to be alarmed about.  But just wanted to hear what some of u much further along experienced.

Ericka 8.3wks
I say definitely have it checked if it has an ammonia smell or fishy or the discharge is white...or yellowish. I've researched info on Bacteria Vagnoisis and it is common among women and can happen during pregnancy. It is an overgrowth of "bac" that is already in vag area, but does and can be treated. Thing is, it can come back. Do search on ask.com. I wish I could remember the site I found where the women who were preg were extremly open with their info. You can use a cream insert or oral meds...ck with doc. Hope this helps.

Savanha~~
When I was pregnant my dr. told me that bacterial infections, bladder infections increase in pregnant women.  Like Savanha said, easy to treat, but you probably should have it checked.  Always better to be safe.  

Amanda
Ive got an appt next week....but felt kind of weird yesterday when I noticed it smelled a little different. LOL Its not ammonia or anything like that....just different.
I have so much more discharge this pregnancy...my doctor even noticed during my first visit. She said it is TOTALLY normal.  Increased blood flow or something.  She said do not sleep with a panty liner and change your panties frequently to avoid any bacteria build up or infection.  I also notice a smell - normal smell that I would probably never notice if I wasn't preggy, but I am hypersensitive about it.  Hope that helps!
The nurse told me this week to expect an increase in discharge if I am not used to it....BUT if it has any odd smell, to call them immediately.
I believe they mention it on webmd... said its very common.. our nose is really sensative and others wont smell it like we do. I havent experienced much discharge.. but sometimes my BM will knock your socks off!! reminded me of when dd had her bad bm diapers!! yikes. lol guess I had better get back into the swing of things.. eh?
im 35 weeks and ive had a odor of sorts for a while. ive been checked for everything under the sun. its not fishy or nothing.. just as you say  its different  and i feel seof conciois cuz i feel like everyone can smell me but i think its just my sensatibe smell. but i think its normal people say it can be infection but with all theae hormones our body is bound to change . if ur doc checks u n ur good dont worry about it.   i change pantys more often and shower more.
Iv had bv n it was more of fishy after sex but i had a smell whn i was preg in fact it was my first symptom ( not tht i knew this at time i thought i had bv again) it hard to describe it wasnt a dirty or even fish smell just not normal for me n was strong but was told nothing to worry bout it just a reaction to hormonal changes but if ur worried go docs n c what they say better to b embarressed for 10min thn suffer with an infection of some kind xx
i am 7weeks pregnant and have slight discharge with a very strong smell....i have an appiontment with my ob next week can anybody help