Pregnancy 35+ Community
External Cephalic Version (Manually Flipping a Breech Baby)

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure done???  I’m 36w5d and my son is still breech, they want to try and flip him tomorrow.  They are only going to give it 1 try and if he doesn’t go the first time, then they are just going to leave him alone.  But I was wondering how painful it really is.  I watched a video on You Tube and it didn’t look to comfortable.

If he flips and stay head down I will be inducted on December 29th, if he stays breech he will then be delivered by C-section on the 29th as well.  So hopefully I will have Gavin before the first of the year.  I really hope he comes on December 29th, because my birthday is December 30th and my daughter is on December 31st.  But hopefully the version will work and he will stay head down and I just hope he comes before December 29th.  I would really like to be home and settled with the baby before Christmas.  

PS - Who knows maybe when they are flipping him my water will break (which is a chance) and he will be delivered tomorrow - You never know.

Debbie
Here is a great website that should be able to answer a lot of questions.  I have only seen and heard of this procedure on Discovery shows like Special Delivery, Birth Day, etc...it appears to be common and very safe if done correctly and by a capable Dr.  If  you had a csection previously, it could cause a rupture to where your incision was.  It also could induce labor, so be ready!  Good Luck

http://www.webmd.com/baby/external-cephalic-version-version-for-breech-position
Hi Debbie:  just read your question and sorry I don't have any answers for you but thought it was kind of neat that I too am having my daughter on December 29th (scheduled c-section).  Right now I am 35.1 weeks but the doctors are worried about me going into labout early (my due date is January 12th) and they believe I have a lot of scar tissue from my previous 2 c-sections so they scheduled me this time for Dec. 29th.  Anyways all the best on your "flipping" tomorrow!!

Take care
Dawn
Hey Debbie,

As you know, I don't know a thing about this, but I had to wish you luck tomorrow.  I cannot wait for Gavin's healthy arrival!!  Always thinking about you!!
I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you today for your procedure!  Pls let us know how it goes!  Pam
Hello All:

Well Gavin is now head down.  They did the version and it was a success, I just hope he stays that way.  If he doesn't come before December 29th, I will be induced that day starting at 7:00 am.  I really hope he is born on the 29th because my birthday is the 30th and my daughters is on the 31st.

The procedure was very painful, I couldn't believe I let them finish, his heart rate stayed stable the entire time, I'm sure he was wondering what the heck was going on.  My husband couldn't believe how much they were pushing and twisting and turning my belly and the different shapes my belly went into during the process.  I looked down one time and I literally thought the doctor was going to jump up on the bed with me, she was hands deep into me, it was amazing.

Debbie
I am glad that your baby rotated without any problem!!  
Sorry about the pain.  I hope you are resting the rest of today.
Oh great news!!  I've seen them do the procedure on TV, and sometimes it does look like the Dr is ready to mount you!!  Talk about up close and personal...glad to hear it's over with, now time to relax!  Pam
Sorry it was unpleasant, but I am glad it was successful.  Now all that's left for you to do is sit back, relax and wait for him to decide to make his debut!!  I can't believe how excited I am...lol.  ((hugs)))