Pregnancy 35+ Community
Gestational Diabetes @ 31 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Gestational Diabetes @ 31 weeks

Hey ladies! I hope everyone is feeling/doing good!!!

I am 31 weeks and was recently diagnoised with Gestational Diabetes. I have been unable to control it with diet only so I start on insulin injections today.  I am very disappointed that I will have to be insulin dependent. This whole thing has been very stressful and overwhelming. Just curious if anyone else is going through this as well. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! xxoo
I was diagnosed with GD around 32 weeks of my last pregnancy.  My daughter is now 5 weeks old.  I too had to use insulin. I used a pen injection at night.  It was not painful.  My doctor continued to increase my amount up until delivery.  My fasting numbers were always high.  The good part of it all was the added monitoring.  Extra ultrasounds to monitor her size meant I saw her often.  I also had NST twice a week which meant hearing her heartbeat more often.  She did great throughout the pregnancy!!  I was also to be induced early to ensure she wasn't too big but she came on her own.  The nurses/doctors monitored her blood sugars for the first 12 hours after birth but she had no problems.  Good luck and let me now if you need more information.
I didn't have this, but did want to wish you well.  There have been many many women on these boards over the years with gestational diabetes that did just fine.  They had healthy normal babies and did not require insulin after the birth.  Your only 9 weeks away and as llayton said, will probably get to "visit" with your little one more often.  All the best to you!

I also had diabetes during my pregnancy with my daughter.  I was on insulin from about 3 months.  My daughter was fine and born at 38 weeks (naturally) and weighed 7 lbs and 3 oz.

Now I am trying to have another baby and am on insulin already.

Your risk of developing diabetes in the future is quite high so this can also be an advance warning that you'll need to manage your blood sugars carefully from now on, even if you get off insulin after the pregnancy.

Actually, insulin makes things a lot easier to manage than just with diet and exercise.  Be very strict about monitoring and try to eat lower carb.  Control your blood sugar well and your baby will be fine.

You can PM me if you want some more information or have more questions, or else reply to this thread, which i'll add to my wathc list..

Thanks for the wonderful information ladies! I have to do one injection at night because my fasting numbers are too high. The rest of my numbers throughout the day have been fine and easily maintained with my diet. I do miss all those carbs and sugars ~ especially at the very end of the pregnancy but I will do whatever is best for my little girl!!

Thanks again for all the insight!

xxoo
Keep up your good work.  The requirement for insulin usually continues to increase as the pregnancy progresses.

Then use what you learn to continue the healthy lifestyle after the pregnancy.

Cogratulations to you!