Pregnancy 35+ Community
Getting Pregnant at 37 easy?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Getting Pregnant at 37 easy?

I got pregnant first try when I was 37.  I couldn't believe how easy it was!  I'm now 37.5 and have begun to try this month.  

Because I got pregnant easily at 35, am I likely to get pregnant easily now at age 37?  What are the odds?  

I have read all over the place that fertility begins to take a nosedive at 37 and this scares me!!!

I am timing sex perfectly.  I know when I ovulate and I had a biphasic chart this cycle.  I am now on DPO 8 and feel no symptoms, so I don't think I'm pregnant as of yet.
I believe there are so many variables to fertility, that it's just too hard to say what your chances are. If you got pregnant easily at 35 and have had no other problems - no miscarriages or anything - I would *guess* that you are probably okay. But, it's just not possible to predict something like that based on age alone. There are some 40-year-olds here who have struggled for a couple of years to get pregnant...others got pregnant right away. I do know that, generally, if you have tried for six months without success, your doctor will likely begin fertility testing. I'd talk to your doctor about it! Good luck!

Tricia
Hello and welcome to the forum!  You are right in that it does become more challenging to conceive after the age of 35, but tons of women have much success.  I, like you, became pregnant my first time trying at 42.  When I turned 44, we started TTC again, and I thought it would be just as easy for me.  Well, it wasn't, then I became obsessed!! I did opks and cm and bbt detection, and every month I wasted a small fortune in HPTs only to see a BFN.  So, I took a different approach. Intentionally being inconsistant, and not doing opks. In other words, I gave up.  Well, the first month I did that, I became pregnant. It was a shock to say the least.   I would say, you will be successful.  It may not happen as quickly as you hope, just be mindful of your fertile and ovulation time, BUT be sporadic as well.  Have sex on unpredictable days leading up to your detected ovulation. Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted!  Pam
fertility takes deep plunge once you get into your 30s and start sharply declining.   You may found it easy at 35, but two years can make a big difference.  Not to mention everyone is different.   You just to keep trying and give it about 6 months.  If no luck in 6 months see a specialist.  

And yes it is true....it does take a big nose dive at around 35, 36, and 37, and then it just goes down from there.    but you might get lucky and get pregnant right away again.   It so hard to tell ...as easy as it was the first time is not a predictor of future attempts at getting pregnant.....trust me!!    I know from experience.

Also the other thing you are up against is the high risk of miscarriage in your late 30s.  Keep that in mind if you do get pregnant.   Lots of these pregnancies fail and you have to keep trying.   So it is very challenging trying to get pregnant now :(
I'm new here but am learning, that everyone is different. I've had 3 healthy babies and I am now 38 and we wanted to have one more, I did get p/g right away-no problem but at 16.5 w I had a m/c. The risk of m/c is higher but I wouldn't focus on that at all. I wouldn't worry about statistics, just start ttc and see how it goes. Don't worry or be nervous. Even though I am going through one of the most difficult times since the m/c we are optimistic and hope to ttc.
Best of luck.
Natalie
I also want to add that, while being informed is great, sometimes statistics can just scare the **** out of you. Honestly, I would NOT recommend paying attention to that. All it does is serve to make you so paranoid that you think every little twinge is a problem. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I almost wished I *hadn't found this forum (even thought there are fabulous women here). I became so freaked out about the statistics, that I was SURE I would miscarry. And that just ruins the beginning of the pg. There were times I wished I hadn't gotten pregnant, I was so scared. And that s*cks. Now I'm beginning to relax and be excited and enjoy being pregnant. I wish I had felt this way from the beginning (like I did with my first two).
I got pregnant when we started trying at 38.  I also got pregnant 3 times at 39.  No problem at all.  I am now 40 and trying again, and my OB is very optimistic.  It's true it can be a bit more challenging in our late 30's and 40's, but this site is a testament to how many women conceive successfully.  I wish you luck, and look forward to reading your post that you are pregnant!!!
Thanks guys.  I am just very nervous of my age.  From what I've read, it may just take a few more months than 2 years ago.  I have a history in my family of very fertile women, so I have a feeling that I'm one of the lucky ones.  

I read yesterday, that a 37 year old woman only releases healthy eggs 20% of the time when she ovulates.  Is this also true?  
I'm 37 and have an 18 yr old but have been try to get pregnant with my husband for about 8-9 yrs. He has no kids and we both saw doctors and both of us are healthy. I've had many times I thought I was pregnant and wasn't and now I have no doubt that I am but I'm scared to hear no again. How doI get pass this?
Well, statistically fertility does slowly begin to decline after 35.  However, a saying I heard the other day applies here...."Statistics mean very little when applied to the individual".  There are lots of us (myself included) that had children in their late 30's and early to mid 40's.  My son was born when I was almost 41.  Since then I have conceived 3 more times, although they have ended in miscarriage.

If you have been trying for longer then a year and are over 35, my suggestion would be to see an RE.  Often times it's something simple they can help you with.  If not, then there are alternatives out there, but yes, having a baby is still quite likely..you may just need a little extra help in getting there.  And remember that women of all ages have fertility issues.  But 37 is definately not to old, not at all.  I wish you luck!