Pregnancy 35+ Community
Having a baby in a "foreign" country-not bilingual (yet)

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I (Canadian) just moved to Germany with my German husband and am 5 weeks pregnant (36years old - first baby). I am learning German but am no way bilingual. I guess I have 9 months to study. Has anyone had a baby and/or had prenatal care in a country where they can not speak the language? I am suprised how many doctors do not speak english. My husband and I are currently looking at all our options.  I would have to live in Canada with family for at least 5 months in order  to have my baby there at "no cost" - of course this would mean most of the time I would be without my husband and he may not be back to Canada  in time for the delivery. Thanks for any advice or stories.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Hmmm, sounds like you're in a bind...Personally I would be skeptical to be in your position..."Lost in Translation".  Although you have time to learn the language...I'm assuming your husband is fluent in German?  If so, what are the chances of him being with you for every Dr appt up and including delivery to translate for you?  If that's doable, would you consider that option?  Otherwise, I'm afraid I would chose to live in Canada for the 5 months and work it out...sorry, I probably wasn't very helpful, but best of luck to you!