Pregnancy 35+ Community
Help, I'm 49 years old and pregnant

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Help, I'm 49 years old and pregnant

Hi, I'm new here....I will turn 50 years old this September. I have 4 children, oldest is 25, youngest is 8 ( I had my youngest at 41) and pregnant again at 42 which ended in a MC @ 10 weeks. We haven't used birth control in over 10 years... I still have my regular periods, about a week ago I had a 1 day of a tiny amount of implantation spotting (brown/old blood) I thought my period was starting but it didn't..so I get up this morning with very tender breasts and needing to urinate more frequent the last few days, I'm also feeling tired....I thought I was going through menopause..but I've been pregnant before and I know the symptoms, been felt it was highly unlikely given my age that I was pregnant, even though it felt like I was so today just to make sure, I took a pregnancy test and it turned positive right away....I can't get into my doctor until next week, I'm a very healthy/fit almost 50 year old. My question is at my age, what are the odds of MC, is there anything I can do to make sure of a healthy pregnancy? do I even produce enough progesterone/hormones at my age to support a pregnancy? any advice is greatly appreciated! thank you...
CONGRATULATIONS...I thank God for you because your news gives me encouragement. God told me I was going to meet someone on MH that was older than me that was going to be pregnant; naturally. God promised me several years ago I would have a daughter and I am still believing Him. I began to have some concern because of my age (I just turned 49 in April). But I'm not concerned about my age anymore since reading your story. I pray for God to bless you and your pregnancy. Be blessed.
well first off congratulations :) if you go by the medical world it will be all doom and gloom regarding your pregnancy, and yes the odds probably arnt that good but I would get on a good pregnancy vitamin straight away, there was a lady in australia last year who gave birth to a healthy girl at the age of 5o so keep positive until you are proven otherwise and dont let the doctors get you down, good luck :)
thanks for the reply! my doctor called me today and told me in his 35 years of practice he hasn't had a patient with a natural pregnancy older than 45 let alone almost 50..he told me to go buy a lottery ticket...I bought some vitamins today..if everything goes ok, this will be c-section and baby # 5..I just had a mini tummy tuck last year...so much for that LOL..thanks again :)
well hopefully you will get your wish..I bought another pregnancy test tonight to make sure and it was positive right away again...hang in there and never give up hope:)
Huge congrats to you.  Don't think too much about stats.  Remember that we are individuals, not statistics.  To answer your question...statistically your risk of m/c is high, but it is certainly not a given.  Take this day by day and expect the best.  This does happen, and I think it is absolutely wonderful!  Please keep us updated and I wish you nothing but the best!
thank you...I went to the doctors today and had some labs drawn..I go back next Tuesday for an early ultrasound if my levels are above 1,500..I'll keep you posted...
Thank you. I have faith it will happen. Be blessed.
I had another doctor apt today to go over my blood-work results from last friday (june 8). I was 15-18 days post ovulation at the time the blood was tested and my hcg level was 267 which he said was right about where it's supposed to be and my progesterone level was 31 which the doctor said was great at any age, let alone my age...so I had another HCG drawn today and I go back this friday for another...if my hcg levels keep rising, he scheduled me for an U/S a week from next Monday (June 25)..he said I was in really great shape inside and out and my body wants to keep having babies..
How exciting for you...
Huge congratulations.
woo hoo thats fantastic news, hope everything keeps going as it should :)
well not so good news today... my HCG levels went from 267 to only 450 in 3 1/2 days so I think that's a sign I'm going to miscarry..I am about 17-19 dpo..I'm going to have another hcg level day after tomorrow (this Friday) so we shall see what's going on...but it doesn't look too good despite the good progesterone levels?
oh thats a shame, it may be a blighted ovum, I had one of those last nov, hopefully it will pick up again, fingers crossed for you xx
Hi Debra
I was so elated to read your story and am not losing faith just yet.
Stay positive and we will be keeping everything crossed for you!
Carrie
x
thanks everyone..I will keep you posted good or bad, friday is my next HCG draw..the doctor said it could have been a vanishing twin? or a sign of a miscarriage, although my progesterone levels remain very good...anyway, thanks for the positive thoughts...
It went up, so that's positive.  And your progesterone levels are excellent.  I hate this wait and see.  I also wouldn't give up hope just yet.  Keeping everything crossed for you.
thanks for those kind words...I def hate the wait and see...my doctor didn't seem too concerned about it..he said because I'm very early in the pregnancy..he thinks I may have even ovulated later than I think..but to me that doesn't explain why my hcg isn't doubling? I guess I'll find out hopefully Friday..I'm thinking they will draw my hcg then I'll have to wait till Monday to find out the results..a long weekend...:(
the wait is just awful I agree :) it always seems easier once you know whats happening, good or bad, anyhow, I didnt even think about the twin thing, I had one of those as well, but didnt find out thru bloods but an u/s as I thought I was having a miscarriage due to bleeding but u/s showed one good sack and a wonky one off to the side, so yes thats def a possibility as well....
How awesome! I was thrilled to read your post. I'm pregnant with my 5th child as well, and I also thought those days were over for me, I am 38. My youngest is 11. Best of luck & I will look forward to reading your updates.

Michelle
Michelle, I think you'll be just fine..I had 2 pregnancies (now my 3rd) in my 40's...that's with no medical intervention..all natural..
Your post gives me encouragement although I am still 4 days away from my period. I pray things continue to progress well for you and your family.
thank you! and same to you!!
Hi just wondering how you are fairing?  Am soooo praying for nothing but positive news from you and a perfect and boring 8 months ahead.
Carrie
xoxoxox
thanks for asking but not good news today but at least somewhat closure...my hcg went from 450 to 529 in 3 days so I'm going to miscarry...I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor as to what to do...so I would like to get it over with as fast as possible, I had a D&C once for a missed miscarriage and it did not go well...anyone know about the methotrexate shot? or have any experience with this? should I just let nature take it's course?? any thoughts on what I should do would be greatly appreciated!
2 days later my my doctor finally called me back..now I have to go in for another hcg tomorrow morning and an ultrasound...I don't know why he's bothering other than to rule out an ectopic? anyone know how long it takes before the bleeding starts once the hcg levels stall? I just want this overwith :(
I know the wait is pretty heart wrenching and painful, but your doctor is really doing the right thing, from my experience, as soon as hcg levels start to stall or drop, depending on how high they were to start with, everything is usually over and done with within 2 weeks, if your waiting for a natural miscarriage to occour,  but obviously this is just my experience, will be thinking of you and take care
Maybe suggest to your doctor to put you onto progesterone suppositories just as a backup for the first 12 weeks.

Also go to a naturopath who will prescribe much better parental vitamins than you can buy OTC.

My OB also suggests to take low dose aspirin (helps with blood flow to the uterus) and a good calcium vitamin which I'd get through a naturopath too.

A huge congrats to you. I'm 43 and wanting to get pg again too.
thanks for that and you're right, the doctor made the right call...I went in for another hcg level this am but won't know the results until tomorrow..I also had an ultrasound done , they could not find any signs of the pregnancy in the uterus or the tubes...they found a 2 cm mass on my right ovary that may or may not be the pregnancy..so depending on the hcg results drawn today, 1, we wait, 2, a shot of methotrexate, 3 D&C, 4, a laparoscopy....when the pregnancy thing is  over, I have to have a repeat ultrasound, if the mass is still on my ovary (it may or may not be pregnancy related) I have to have surgery to remove it..the doctor said it may or may not be cancerous..they will do a frozen section while I'm still on the O.R. table, if it looks cancerous they will remove my ovaries at that time...I will keep everyone updated regardless...if it does turn out to be cancer, then this ultrasound was a good thing, I would have never known I had this mass on my ovary..
phew!! gosh you've got alot to take in,, maybe the whole pregnancy was a blessing as if it wasnt for the pregnancy as you said, you wouldnt have known, obviously I'm hoping that everything stays very simple for you!! with low numbers like that its usually to early to see much, anyway, am thinking of you and will check for updates, good luck xx
Debradesign, hope you are well.
Hi, thanks everyone for the well wishes!..I got my hcg results back from yesterday and it went from 467 to 685...I'm bummed, I had hoped that my body was going to take care of this naturally but I guess not..I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow hopefully to see what the next step is? I still have morning sickness :(
So sorry you are going thru this. I will keep you in my thoughts. Hope all is taken care of easily and pain free.
Please, PLEASE keep posting about this. I am almost 44 in a few wks and trying to have a first child. The fact that you naturally conceived at 50 is a huge relief to hear. Whether it results in a child or it was the divine intervention way of warning you about a much more serious thing you may have missed until too late, remember everything happens for a reason. (That's 26yrs of Buddhism speaking.)  ;p

Congratulations on your blessing of protection!

-Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
yes, the fact that I will be 50 in a few months and got pregnant naturally was still pretty amazing..my doctor is still amazed about my my pregnancy and progesterone levels being so good (naturally) I don't have any health issues, we are a very outdoor active family in sports and such, I have never smoked, never any drugs, we don't drink..not on any meds..we don't eat junk...I also don't take any vit. or supplements, never have..iI think t's living a good healthy lifestyle that allowed me to get pregnant at almost 50 (we had a very healthy natural pregnancy,baby boy (10lbs 3ounces) at 41 and another natural pregnancy at 43..I cannot compare my history with my mothers or grandmothers because they both a hysterectomy in their early 40's due to fibroids...

my eggs however are still old, those, my healthy lifestyle has no control over I suppose...on a good note, I started cramping pretty badly lastnight and my bleeding has started and I'm VERY relieved that my body is taking care of this naturally as my HCG level came back at another rise at 685, from a draw 2 days ago and I was scheduled to get a shot of methotrexate Monday morning and possibly a D & C this next week..so I'm relieved..I will keep updating....

thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and concerns!! and stay healthy..
Another update..I started cramping and bleeding early this past saturday morning and passed some clots so I went to the doctor on Monday for an hcg to see if my body was taking care of the miscarriage or if I was going to need a shot of methotrexate and or a D&C my hcg came back at 47 from 685, 4 days prior, so I'm relieved...I'll be glad when this is completely over with!
Hi Debra-

good progesterone is not always an indicator of a healthy pregnancy and no matter what some of the gals say, slow rising betas are not a good sign either- I miscarried at about 7 wks.. my last beta as around 1389 but it was slow rising and though my progesterone was great, I still miscarried. My u/s also showed I was behind so I kind of expected it.

I think it is amazing that you conceived at almost 50 though and I am sorry about your m/c-enjoy the children you have as I am still working on #1.

My doctor was just surprised about the  good progesterone level at my age..
I know it doesn't indicate a healthy pregnancy...I too was not surprised at my M/C as my doctor had told me, I had an 80+% chance of miscarry at my age...I def. enjoy my kids, they are a blessing!! I guess if we decide we want more, it's donor eggs...my doctor said I have a better than average chance of conceiving and carrying to term with donor eggs..we shall see, as I said, we were not trying to have another baby, so all this is still very much a surprise...
I have been reading your posts and I just want to say, I am sorry that it didn't work out.  I know it was unplanned, but it always gives the rests of us hope.  I   hope they monitor you until your HCG is back to zero.  I think that is always a good idea, that way if your period is late next cycle, and you take another HCG test, you know it is a new pregnancy if your level is elevated.

Risa
thank you...they told me I was good to go when my hcg was at 47 and that I don't need to come in anymore..I don't have any more pregnancy symptoms so I hope it is resolved..my bleeding has all but stopped also, so I hope it is over...
thanks again..

Debi
sounds as if everything is all over, I'm glad that it all happened naturally for you :) sorry that it had to happen, usually once your hcg levels are 10 and under, your cycle should be back to normal, so hopefully yours is there or soon will be, takr care :)
Debi,

Thanks for posting!

Like you, I had a spontaneous pregnancy at 49 (49 years, 7 months).

Unfortunately, I began bleeding and lost pregnancy symptoms at 8 weeks, the vaginal ultrasound showed a gestational sac and a larger than expected yolk sac.  I passed this tissue 8 days after I started bleeding, a second ultrasound confirmed they were gone but my HcG was still at 3225, so I am going to be testing each week with the intention that my body will bless me with resolution as it blessed me with the pregnancy (12mm of tissue left to release as of last Tuesday).

I am sorry for your loss and grateful that you have children to enjoy!

The one thing I've learned in this pregnancy is how" wonderful and supportive a community we have, that has certainly helped weather the ups and downs!

Meg
I just was looking thru sites n came 2 this.ur story has really encouraged me.im 39 yrs old n been married 2 a 30 yr old 1 yr july 30th.said he didnt wnt kids of his own b4 we married.i hav 4 of my own frm previous marriage n grandkids.4 days ago he decides he wnts kids n thinks he has 2 divorce me 2 meet some1 else 2 hav thm.i wnt 2  get a tubal reversal done but its gna take time 2 save up the money,but 2 me its worth it 2 kp my marriage n try 2 hav a child wth my husband.i thot 39 wld b 2 late but ur story pumped me up even more 2 do this n by the grace of God it will b a success.God bless you! C.R tx
Hi everyone! 37 days after I started bleeding/miscarrying my period came and everything is back to normal...

msmegruns, sorry to hear..my hcg never got that high, so your miscarriage might take longer to resolve...hopefully you won't have to have a D&C...it's not a fun thing to go through...and yes I enjoy my kids so much!!

Crtx, the sooner the better..you might want your doctor to run some tests before you plan a tubal reversal...I had a very healthy pregnancy and a 10lb baby at 41, and 2 miscarriages after that..my sister was going to have a tubal reversal at 42 but they did 2 FSH levels and the doctor refused to do a tubal reversal based on her not so great levels....so the sooner the better for you..and good luck! you never know!!
I was wwondering if anybody knows if its possible for me to ever have a Baby again. Im very healthy and just turned 49 and havnt had a period in a year.  :(  I have a younger BF, who loves me regardless, but its killing me wondering if i could conceve or not with all the medical help there is out there. My Dr, said I could carry and referred me to a fertility specialist. I havnt gone yet.. Not sure if im ready to face the music yet.. I just pray that there may be a possibility..
Thanks,
Cindy  
I just found out a week ago that I am about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. I am turning 49 in July. I have 10 birthed children but m/c twice in the last 2years I have been taking vitamins and folic acid for months but not to get pregnant just to fight the menopausal feelings. Could you tell me did you carry to term and what did you do if you did to help the pregnancy. I'd not what did you do to cope? Thanks melinda
I'm very sorry for your losses.My heart is breaking for you.
But I hope you are feeling better today,

I'm sending lots of love,  healing and hugs to you both.You are in my prayers all the time.

Debradesign, how are you doing today? What is your news?
I'm 48 June 19 wil be 49 I have missed period at least 1 1/2 months my nipples are so sore and sensitive but I do jog with no actual breat pain just nipples, got blood work yesterday no results yet! I ansolutely cannot accept this pregnancy, I have fibromyalgia and severe depression and am completely bed ridden all winter! I pray in not pregnant! Thoughts on sensitive nipples ?
I cant imagine how you feel.  Im 32 weeks pregnant at almost 40 and my body can barely handle it.  Fibromyalgia is very painful and pregnancy would be a nightmare for you.  

I hope this will be of some comfort to you...Its possible you could be pregnant.  However,  even if you are,  the chances of misscarriage are extremely high for your age.  I read a study only 1-3% of 49 yr old women conceive in a cycle.  And of those women that actually conceive,  over  84% will misscarry.

gl.
Hello mom10ofmany, I just turned 49 a couple weeks ago and have 11 children. Through the years we have had 2 miscarriages, and 2 years after our youngest (now 7 yrs) was born, I had some strange pregnancy that we thought must have been a blighted ovum or something similar.
I am wondering how you are doing in your pregnancy? Have you ever homebirthed?
hope to talk soon
donna, mommy to a bunch
Ladies, I was happy to hear that a friend of a friend announced that at 50 she is 8 months pregnant! They waited for all tests to come back positive before they made their announcement. This is their 3rd child. What an exciting holiday it will be for this family! I wish you all many blessings and great hope.