Pregnancy 35+ Community
Here's my update from today's appt :)

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Here's my update from today's appt :)

My appt went very well. I have to admit, I was nervous, but the genetic counselor was great. She went over our blood results in more detail & there were three areas that are tested & I tested normal in two & the one for Down's was on the borderline. Of course my age was also factored in to determine my positive result.  Her assessment, based on 26 years of experience, was that our babies will be just fine ;) There's only a 2% chance that one or both babies will be affected.
Our anatomy scan showed a boy & a girl! So, now we're accepting the fact that we're having one of each :) We're still confused as to how that happened since we had a single embryo transfer & can't remember bd'ing around that time, but we are excited nonetheless ;) The scan showed three markers that "could" indicate an abnormality, one on our girl & two on our boy, but the doc looks for supporting markers to back up those findings & there weren't any, which is great!
The amnio was quick, but it was also a bit painful. They have to do it twice because our babies are in separate sacs. The needle itself didn't hurt, but when it goes through the uterus, Yikes! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't recommend it or that I wouldn't do it again. I'm just sore now, so I'm taking the rest of the day to relax. We'll get our results in 7-10 days & all of our concerns will finally be answered. The amnio will reveal the babies' genders & whether there are any abnormalities, Down's or otherwise.
Thank you so much for your support :)
I'm so glad to see your post, I have been checking in for an update from you.  First off, congrats on boy/girl twins!!  If I was to have twins, that seems like the perfect world scenario to me!  I am so happy to hear that your risk assessment only came in at 2%.  What excellent odds those are!  I'm sorry the amnio was painful for you, I guess I just got really lucky with mine, but I am glad it's over now for you.  Put your feet up and relax and within 10 days the happy news that all is well will be confirmed, and you can completely enjoy being a pregnant lady with no worries!!  You have been on my mind all day, so thanks for updating us!!  
Thanks for thinking of me :) It's ok. The amnio was definitely worth it. I'm just sore & have been relaxing all day. Yes, we're excited about boy/girl twins, but a boy & a girl from a single embryo could result in problems for one or both. So, it was a good day & I feel relieved, but I'll celebrate completely once we get our amnio results. I can't say I'll hold off on shopping, though! ;-) Thanks again!
I m glad that u r feeling so relaxed after tests. I m sure u guys r lucky one having a boy and a girl.
Good luck for amnio results too. Take rest my friend I know those test sound like really scary. I was reading yesterday and me and dh got very nervous.

Tomm I also have 1st trimester screening wish us good luck.   Go for shopping !!!! yay
Good luck!
Congrats!!!  I have boy/girl twins and they are great.  I am also pregnant with twins again and my hubby and I are hoping for boy/girl twins again.  You got great news.  I go for my anatomy scan in about 5 wks or so.  I am looking forward to it but nervous too.  I had the amino so I know exactly what u went through.  You will feel better when those test results come back that your babies are fine.  Good luck to you and your little ones!!!  It's nice to hear of other moms to be having twins.  Are these babies your first & second??  Take care and relax!!!
great news on the test results coming back at only 2%!!  Hopefully the amnio results will prove that some fluke happened and you o'd at the same time as your ivf and are having boy/girl twins from that rather than something else.  Have the doctors given any indication how it could have happened this way or what the results could mean for either baby?  Sorry if this is too personal.....I just ask because my mom and I (she is a nurse and a MH stalker, she reads daily but hardly ever responds) were talking about your post the other day and then did some internet searching to find out how that happens.  I found a few articles about 1 egg being fertilized by 2 sperm and then splitting which can cause the boy/girl combo but usually means that the girl is missing an X and could have reproductive issues.  I guess that is a rare instance.  If it happened and both were boys you wouldn't even know it happened.  Just thought I'd ask and hope it isn't too personal....

good luck to you!!   I really hope the amnio results are good and you have a happy and healthy remainder of your pregnancy!!!!
Jeanie20: Yes, our first pregnancy! So, these will be our 1st & 2nd :) Wow, I can't imagine having twins twice! How exciting :) The next 5 weeks will fly by & you'll be having your scan. Thank you for the well wishes & congrats :)

jennyb473: Dont worry, it's not too personal :) Yes, we're concerned for just that reason. Not two sperm fertilizing one egg, but one egg splitting & resulting in boy/girl twins who have issues. If that happened & they started as boys, but one dropped a chromosome, she could have Turner's Syndrome, which would mean reproductive issues, she wouldn't go through puberty, etc. If one starts out with an extra chromosome & drops it, they could be perfectly healthy boy/girl twins. Yes, both instances are extremely rare. My dh & I honestly can't remember being intimate prior to IVF, so the whole thing is confusing. I'm happy we decided to do the amnio & we'll get the results next week. Hopefully our little ones will be perfectly healthy :) Thanks for thinking of me :)

gabbster & help4baby: Thanks :)
Congrats on the boy and girl!  I am not sure how that happened either...
Congrats on the boy/girl..  Wow that is quite unusual for 1 egg to do that. Cannot wait to hear that the amnio results come back showing both babies are ok.

My amnio hurt as well. Ouch! My uterus contracted on the needle itself and doc really had to tug to get it loose.
Congratulations on the boy/girl twins.  And on the 2% risk.  That is great news!  I hope the next week or so goes by really quickly for you :)
Baby4me70: Thanks :) Luckily I only have a week to wait for my results... I'll keep you all posted!

Quinnsmomma: Thanks to you, too ;) Yes, it's very rare, but my doc thinks it's possible also that one baby was conceived via IVF & the other naturally, although dh & I cannot remember bd'ing around then... Since they retrieved 22 eggs, they could have missed one & if we did bd as far as a week prior, it is a possibility... Who knows?! I just can't wait to celebrate that our babies are okay :) Ouch! That sounds painful having to tug the needle out. The first needle hurt more than the second. I'm sure it has to do with placement & muscle, etc. I'm just glad it's over & I feel good :)
I just missed your post :) Thanks for the support! It means so much!
Congrats on your boy/girl twins! How wonderful for you!! Glad the amnio went fine and I'm sure your babies will be fine too!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers