Pregnancy 35+ Community
How do you know?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

How do you know?

This is my first pregnancy and I have no idea if I have been having contractions... how do you know or what does it feel like?
I'm also 1 1/2 cms dilated does that mean ill be going into labor any day? I'm 36 weeks.  
I've had 3 and been induced all 3 times. I just know that when contractions started i first felt like the baby was pushing really hard in there or like my uterus was being stretched.. Then it got worse to the point where I couldn't talk or concentrate while it was happening. I guess it feels like a REALLY bad cramp plus your stomach tightens up and feels really hard.. I think you will know.. It's hard to ignore!  Blessings to you!
Im 36 weeks and dilated to 4 mi dr said i could go into labor  soon or i might just stay at 4 cm till mi due date... ask ur dr. Lol cuz im new to this too
I agree with the previous comment...being dialeted doesn't mean you are going into labor any time soon..also it can start two ways....your water breaking and then contractions or just contractions...with two of my children my water broke and I felt like a baloon popped inside me so that was pretty obvious...with another one my water broke but it was only a trickle and I wasn't sure at first if it was water leaking....the way you figure that out is get up and walk around if you continue to leak a little with almost every step it's water not your bladder. ...and finally with my fourthit started with contractions this may be a little trickier for the first time moms since towarda the end of your pregnancy you will feel contractions which are not labor contractions....if you feel a contraction start timing it..labor contractions come in the same interval and they don't go away....non labor contractions are irregular and you don't have to stop doing what you're doing...labor xontractions will stop you in your tracks...they may not be super painful but painful enough where you have to concentrate on breathing....also don't confuse abdominal pain if you are about to have bm :) contraction pain is coming from your lower back and radiates around your belly.....
Great description ennya. Then you just have to deal with the people in L&D telling you not to bother coming in until you can't handle the labor contractions anymore.
Yeah I heard all kinds of stories and really it all comes down to your hospital ...but here's few things you should know...if your water breaks go straight to the hospital don't even call and ask if you should come...at this point you are running
The risk of infection and if they tell you to go back home ask for something in writing that you are not risking an infection....this will stop them in tracks for sure....second some hospitals like mine refuse to give epidural after 5 cm like mine....make sure you know if they have this rule in case you want epidural...I had all my children four of them without it ....but in case you want it you really need to know