Pregnancy 35+ Community
How long do you have to wait after a D&C?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Just checking to see how long one has to wait to conceive again after D&C.

Is the potential scaring bad for pregnancy?

I am so sorry for your loss. After a D&C you should not have intercourse for at least 2 weeks or until the bleeding stops. It is also recommended that you use contraception until your health care provider advises that it is okay for you to try to get pregnant again. I think most doctors recommend that you wait to try to conceive until your cycle returns to normal...so they want you to have at least one normal period before trying to conceive again.

Scaring from a D&C can cause issues with future pregnancies. Scaring can interfere with implantation. But many, many women go on to have healthy pregnancies after a D&C.
My ob had me wait 3 weeks before having sex and then one full cycle before ttc again. If done properly you shouldn't have any complications from the D&C with future pregancies.
I have had 3 d&c's and everytime they told me to wait one cycle.  More often then not, I had my first period about 5 weeks after, but everyone is different.  

With a d&c, scarring is a possibility.  However, it is not all that common.  I had a normal healthy baby boy after 2 of my d&c's.  

I am so sorry for your loss, but know that having had a miscarriage does not increase your chances of having another.  The vast majority of women do have normal healthy pregnancies after a loss.  Good luck to you as you try again.
Thank you for your comments! This was my 4th D&C. Last time I was so sad it took me 9 month to try again. But, I feel I am getting older now (40) and have not time to waist if I want another one!
All the time pressure adds to the pain of the loss. It is sometimes overwhelming!

Thank you again for your advice.
Aww, I'm sorry. I know how hard multiple losses are.  Have you had any testing done?  Stay strong...I got my miracle and I know you will too.  ((((Hugs)))
I've had 3 d&cs.  First two was told to wait 3 cycles.  The last one was told I didn't have to wait.  I have had 2 m/ c and 3 healthy pregnancies.  Good luck to u
I am a 42 yrs old and I have had 2 d & c's in a 8 month period because the embryo's heart stopped at 8 wks and 10 wks.  I was told is because of my age (42) , my eggs are old but I was told to wait at least three months before trying again.. Doctor said it is not impossible to get a good egg in with the bad one's and that I can conceive.  Scarring is not an issue after d & c's in women is not common, although it can happen but is not common...  good luck my best wishes.
Hello, I am 42 going to be 43 yrs old.   I had one MC at 40 and three months later conceived normally.  I have a 27th month old dauhgter who is smart as hell and cute.  Don't worry it will be fine just make sure that you don't over excert yourself doing stuff no heavy lifting eat well take naps ect. It is more than okay to be preganant at 41 or 42 or 43 just as long as you take care of yourself and follow what the doctor says at all times.... Good luck to you hope all goes well keep us posted with your progress...  

stinka123
Hello kathy, I amso glad to hear that at 43 yrs old you have had a natural conceivement and a healthy good pregnancy.   I am 42 yrs old and have had two (2) miscarriages in the past 8 months where the fetus stopped developing at 8 wks and then the second no heartbeat at 10 wks.  It was devasting to me!!! doctor says is bad eggs.. but that I can keep trying because somewhere in there, there is a good egg and I can conceive normally... You are my Inspiration and my encouragement to not give up, you have given me hope so many congratulations with your baby much happiness!!!!! god bless
stinka123