Pregnancy 35+ Community
How soon can you get pregnant after miscarriage

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

After trying to get pregnant for the longest time I did before my 35th birthday(September 26).  For some reason my body just didn't feel right and my husband kept saying I was pregnant. On September 29th I bought a hpt and it was positive. Boy was I shocked. I was oh so ecstatic and so happy. I had finally gotten the baby I wanted for so long. I made an appointment to go to the health dept to confirm the test and to get the prenatals and some info that they give. I had to decide on ob/gyn. Once that was done I made an appointment. Which was on October 23rd. Well I couldn't remember the exact date of my last LMP. So I guessed and the nurse at the health dept said that would make me 9 weeks. Anyway once I went to the ob/gyn he did an ultrasound and that showed that I was 5 weeks pregnant. I was a little disappointed/ but still happy to be pregnant. A day or two before I went to the doctor I started spotting and was scared as hell. He said as long as I didn't have any cramping I was fine.  Anyway on that Friday(26) after my drs. appt I began to spot and spotted the whole weekend. I laid in the bed and kept still as much as I could. I went to the dr. on that Monday(29th) and he informed me that he didn't see an heartbeat and that the sac had not grew. So he took my HCG levels so he could check to make sure I wasn't having a miscarriage.  I called him from work the next day and he said my HCG levels had dropped. My heart dropped when he told me that my pregnancy was gonna end in miscarriage. I was hurt. That evening when I got home from work I passed 2 big clots but I continued to bleed. I called the dr and he said that since I was still bleeding that it wasn't the baby. I continued to work everyday. I was still bleeding heavily. Friday November 2nd while I was at work I started getting bad cramps and I went to the bathroom and that's when the baby came out. I informed one of my co-workers. I felt like my heart had fell out. Then I noticed the bleeding became minimal. I went to see the dr and he checked me on November 5th. Everything was good. I didn't have to have a d & c. He advised not to have sex for a couple of weeks. If I did to use condoms. Of course I didn't I had sex as soon as I got home and have been having it every day since. I still have not seen a period. My body went back to normal in a matter of days. I mean as far as my breast and other little minor things. It's been a month and I feel as if I am pregnant agian. I have the nausea, senstivity to smell, headaches, and other little minor symptoms. Is it possible to get pregnant that fast without having a period?
You ovulate before you get your period.  So, yes, you can get pregnant without having your period.  But, your hormone levels have to drop way down after the pregnancy/miscarriage in order to ovulate, get pregnant, or get your period.  It can take  more than 28 days to get your period after a miscarriage.  Your body won't let you get pregnant if it isn't ready.  You can take a pregnancy test or blood test to confirm.
Thanks a lot for the comment. I went to the dr on November 26 and he did an ultrasound. He said that I had already ovulated. But I have no sign of a period yet and my husband and I have been going at it constantly since the miscarriage. I want to wait another week or two to see if I get a period. If not I'm gonna take a pregnancy test. Like I said thanks for the response.
I was told you can try to conceive immediately after a miscarriage (but to wait two complete cycles after a d&c).  Like chiromom said, it can take longer to get your period after a miscarriage (up to 6 weeks).  Sometimes it takes a while for your hormones to go back to normal, so you can't really interpret other symptoms as signs of a new pregnancy.  I hope you do get a positive pregnancy test soon!
Yes, conceiving after a m/c is possible and according to my doctor it's no problem after a natural m/c. I read on another site that it happens very often.
I have some of the same symtoms (symptoms) like you have (and those were away shortly after I miscarried) like sensitivity to smell, sore breasts and very tired at the end of the afternoon.
I had my m/c on 11/9 so there is a chance that I conceived again without having a period first. If AF doesn't show up the next week I will take a pregnancy test.
I just want to say thanks for the responses. It feels so good to be able to talk to people that know what you are going through. Since the miscarraige (miscarriage) I hadn't talked freely about it. I mean I would talk some to my husband. He has been wonderful through it all. I hope that I am pregnant this time around. If I'm not then I won't give up hope. Because I know all things happen for a reason. Regardless, I am blessed with two beautiful stepchildren whom I love and care for as my own. My step daughter is 12 and she thinks she's my twin. Once again I can't express enough the appreciation and support from you all.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart!!!
Good luck MrsMichele.  i had a mis in Jukly and conceived again in Sept.  I am now 15 weeks!!  Nervous as hell about everything!  I agree- everything happens for a reason.  The babies dad always says "It is the same soul."  

Let us know how you make out
I agree- yes.  I've had four miscarriages and try again after each one.  My dr even let me try right away after the one that included a d&c.  I did get pregnant once right after a miscarriage.  And that result is sleeping in his bed as I type this!  
does anyone know when to expect you epriod after a m/c. I had a m/c on Nov 17 and am waiting for my peroid to come. I have taken a preg test to make sure I have no hcg left. It came out neg. I have been trying to figure out when I ovulate and no such luck. The ov kits all keep saying yes to all diff days. any advice for this.
hi there everyone. i have a question - i had a miscarriage on 15th nov and had unprotected sex on 28th (i used a opk  which was positive but when i read instructions it said if you had recently been preg even if not to full term you may get inaccurate results). i haven't had a period yet but my boobs are all sore, have a dodgy taste in my mouth and slight nausea. could i be preg? i have done 4 hpts but 2 said pos (very faintly) and 2 said neg. could the pos ones have been evaporation lines? any advice would be greatly appreciated x
it seems we're in a similar situation - which ov kit did u use?
hand a miscriage 6week  and think  pregnant but strat my period have some  symptom
I had a period in july to actually one on the 4th and the other at the end of the month that carried on in to aug 6. I got one in sept which I thought was one turned out to be a miscarriage well I got my period oct 25 my hcg went dwn so everything was ok I had sex A LOT... its now dec and I never got one after the oct one. Could I be pregnant?