Pregnancy 35+ Community
How to calculate Ovulation when I get spotting 2 days and then periods

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

How to calculate my ovulation when I always get 2 days spotting before my heavy periods? Should I calculate these 2 days of spotting also as part of periods? If this is the case then my periods were on Oct. 20, 2008 and not Oct. 22, 2008.

I also thought my ovalution is 4 Nov as I got spotting on that day but today is Nov 8th and I got little spotting today as well. Which made me again totally confuse to calculate my ovulation date.

Please help me as I am totally lost and don't know that how to calculate my exact ovulation date so that I can get pregnant.
Spotting just before your period is pretty common, and very normal.  Count the first day of actual flow as day 1 (I was really confused about this too, so I asked my OB).  Mid cycle spotting is not necessarily a result of ovulation.  Don't use that as a good indicator.  If you have 28 day cycles, you probably ovulate around day 14.  Try an ovulation predictor kit, or google "signs of ovulation".  Charting your tempatures can also help, although my personal preference is the ovulation predictor kit.

Oh, and you should see a Dr. before you start trying.  If you are having mid cycle spotting, you may have low progesterone which can make if tough to carry a baby full term.  They can give you medication to treat it.  Good luck to you.
I had the same problem.  My doctor said to count the very first day that I spotted as my first day of my period.  I would usually spot for 3 days or so before my flow would get heavier.  My doctor suggested I use an ovulation kit....and it's worked every time!!
Good Luck!
Thanks a lot to both of you. I just got confused here as Adgal you are saying I should count when my heavy flow starts and Idivecch5 says her doctor says when its first day of spotting. these 2 different comments made me again confused. But I agree with both of you that I should buy ovulation kit and check how it works. Thanks again for your immediate reply. Adgal thanks I will follow your further suggestions as well. Regards sandra
I started spotting on February 3rd. Only spotted for 8 days, no blood flow at all. Do I still calculate my ovulation using Feb. 3 as the first day of my period. I spotted everyday for those 8 days, but at points during each day there wasn't anything at all. My period wasn't even due til today. I took a hpt and it was negative. Please help me.
I want to know the exact same thing!!  It's so frustrating!  It's seems so easy for some women to just fall pregnant while others need to get their timing right, urgh!!!
I have spotting too but very light for 2 to 5 days beforehand. I always count day one as the first day of reasonable flow and when I do that I have a 29 day cycle and ovulate on day 15 so must be doing the calculation correctly. I swear by the BBT. My temp rises on day 16 unless I have been travelling.

I am more concerned about your mid cycle spotting. Have you had that before? If it happens again I would mention it to a doctor.

Take care.
You don't count spotting at all when looking for ovulation. Like Adgal said you count the first day of your period.. alot of women spot before there actual period.. The first day of bright red blood is when you start counting in your cycle some women are 28 days, some are 32 ect. So use OPKs til you get a few charts under your belt then you'll always have an idea when you ovulate.. And if your spotting for long cycles my Re says you need to be seen because it can  be a hormone thing that needs to be evaluated .
Pum and Nina are correct.  Spotting doesn't count, it's the first day of flow.  As Nina suggested, give the Ovulation Predictor Kits a try. That's how I sorted out my best days to conceive and I am a big believer in them.  It's a bit of an extra financial investment, but well worth it for the results.  I know it's tough....many of us here have had trouble either falling pregnant or staying pregnant, but there are also many success stories here.  Tracking, time and patience.  You'll get there!  Good luck.
hi. im new to the cite fith402, iv always counted from the day of spotting, becuz for me i still have the cramps and when ovulation day comes the signs are there every month the muscus change,the ovulation pain and the rise in sex!
I HAVE MIDCYCLE BLEEDING RIGHT BEFORE MY PERIOD A WEEK PRIOR TO MY ACTUAL PERIOD, WHICH CONFUSES ME AS WELL. IT LAST FOR TWO DAYS BUT ONLY WHEN I WIPE. WELL THIS MONTH IM EITHER LATE OR PREGNANT. IM A WEEK LATE SO ILL TEST IN ABOUT 3DAYS MY PERIODS IF LATE GIVE AND TAKE 9 DAYS LATE THE MAX OR 4 DAYS EARLIER MIN.
I had  2days spotting before my period, I always count the first day, please what should I do to improve a chance to conceive
I've been spotting on and off for two says I suffer pcos and I've had the rod out for a month as of the 13 I've had one norm cycle I've done a few test but neg. I've been havin unprotected sex a lot (when I. Can get it) and still nothing I used to bleed anywhere from 4weeks -7 weeks and have a week break then back when the rod was in. What do you ladies think my last period was on the 8november and I bled up until15th when I had the rod out. If spotting started on the 7th December and again yesterday 8th what do you think is happening I'm lost.