Pregnancy 35+ Community
Hypnobirth anyone?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hypnobirth anyone?

Hello-

Has anyone used\Is anyone going to try hypnobirthing techniques for labor? I would like to have a natural childbirth (if no complications, and if possible) but I'm afraid that I'm going to panic if there is a lot of pain. I looked online and could not find a hypnobirthing class in the area. I did sign up for a Breathing and Relaxation class. I was wondering if there are books, CDs, DVDs that anyone would recommend so that I can self-teach the hypnobirth process?

Thanks so much for any recommendations!
To answer your question, No, I have not used hypnobirth, but admire women that give birth under these conditions, completely natural, and drug free.  Honestly, its not for me, I'm a huge cry baby when it comes to pain, especially after going through it the first time being induced, there is no way in Gods green planet I would go without an epidural/meds.  But, I wish you a very successful and stress free labor : )
Hypnobabies is the course I've chosen because it just sounds like a great fit for me. I'm sorry there aren't any courses being offered near you. Have you tried local birthing centers or midwives? Sometimes they offer these classes "in house" but will let non-clients sign up for them too. They may not be well-advertised on the internet.
From what I understand, the pain relief from using water (bath/shower) during birth has been rated comparable to medication, and being allowed to birth in more natural positions such as hands & knees, or squatting, also alleviates much pain.
(The traditional lithotomy position closes the pelvic opening by up to 30%-- this position is convenient for doctors, not laboring women!)

BEST of luck finding a hypnobabies class! If I hear of any good books/dvds/CDs I will let you know!
Ooh, ME (: I love it!! It takes major will/mind power and if you are good at that, then you must try. I do not use any form of pain relief and remain calm...except for the very end when I do lose a little bit of control, but it's still not that bad. I find a focus, become very in tune with my body and also calming scents help. I made my own rice sock, sewed a velvet calming color around it and infused it with lavendar. It really helped. We put it in the microwave. I also had my daughter play with my hair to relax me and made a playlist on my iPod that had calming sounds. ALL of it helped! Good luck, I never took a class, just decided I wanted to do it and did!