Pregnancy 35+ Community
I feel bad......

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I feel bad......

So, i have gestational diabetes for the third time, and i have been quite good eating all the right things and keeping my sugar levels under control, but this afternoon my partner walked in with a strawberry icecream and hot chips. I couldn't control myself, i polished off half his icecream and ate a plate of the hot chips. It was soooo good! For 4 weeks now i've had to sit here and watch him and the kids eating blocks of choccies and lollies and its been so hard that i just caved this afternoon. I am pregnant and get all the same cravings, but haven't been able to do anything about it. Surely i couldn't have done that much damage? And baby has been measuring small, not big.
Me too. I started buying "Smart ones" in the red and white box. They have brownie a la mode, I think apple pie, strawberry shortcake, um....i cant remember all of them but they do the trick. Dont allow anyone to bring gallons of ice cream in house. They are the ones who should feel guilty! Get the tiny edys cup ice cream for a dollar if u cant stomach sugar free. Also there are some really good sugar free chocolates in a christmas green bag, cant remember name but their turtles are awesome if you like caramel and chocolate. I will post if I think of more. Oh and dont make eye contact with chip bag!!!
Try skinny cow. Ive heard its good but I havent tried yet. Im weening myself off ice cream.
Oh yea...try sugar free fudgesicles. Try buying popsicles too, the welchs fruit bars are VERY fulfilling when you want ice cream. Remember to check your labels. I try not to grab things with over 15g of carbohydrates per serving.
Thankyou so much!! So you suffer from this diabetes thing too? When i went grocery shopping today i bought some sugar free chocolate bars, and sugar free mints. And i buy heaps of those nestle diet yogurts too. I'm finding it really hard to control myself at the moment, i think i'm really over pregnancy lol. But i know the end is near, and i know how healthy eating is really good for me and the baby, in fact a lady in the shop today complimented me on my figure! Said how i was all baby and that she reckons i'll snap back into shape straight after. That helps keep me going i guess.
I have had gestational diabetes with all three of my babies. .and heading that way with this one two! I wouldn't worry too much about a single bing..after ur pregnant. .lol ..the baby has it's own set of kidneys that will produce insulin for it ! The major concern is the strain on ur body when ur suger stays high for a long time..also if ur sugar is super high when u deliver the baby could go into shock because his kidneys will over produce insulin to compensate for all the sugar! So  one binge here or there not a biggie ..but I would try to stay away from endulgin on the regular! Are u on insulin?  If so u could adjust ur dose to compensate for ur high sugar? All my babies were normal wieght 7lbsand had no issues because of my diabetes! Good luck and hang in there. Xxx
No, i'm not on insulin, just diet controlled. I took my daughter to the movies today and while i got her maltesers and lollies i sat there and had a can of diet coke and a diet yogurt! I'm trying to stay on track really hard, and am also taking the dog for a walk every afternoon as i know exercise really helps too. Thanks for your kind comments ladies :)
Also I just went to my diabetes education and she said be careful of sugar free snacks. .they often have just as many carbs as the real thing plus added chemicals..she said ur better. Off eating small amount s of the real thing.
Oh really? And i've been eating those sugarfree choccy bars! The thing is, i don't think i could just have a piece or two of real chocolate, i'd end up eating the whole block! I've been deprived of everything for too long lol. But thanks so much for your info.
I know its hard..pregnancy is the time you think you should beable to eat whatever you want! And I know for myself as soon as they say u can't have this! It's what I want the most. .lol! Just be careful about what type of artificial sweeteners are in there..like splenda is ok ..but the kind in the pink packs are not! I think its aparithine..I can't spell. But they will cross the placenta and supposedly aren't good chemicals for baby!