Pregnancy 35+ Community
I know this sounds naive, but I'm wondering what contractions feel...

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I know this sounds naive, but I'm wondering what contractions feel like

I just did a post explaining my situation.  I'm 35 weeks (we've been LUCKY to make it this far).  Have been on modified bed rest since 20 weeks and "very strict" bedrest for three weeks (have preeclampsia).  

Saw my dr. yesterday and he said the baby's head is "REALLY low."  But I haven't dilated at all.

Last night, I was having horrible back pains - probably the worst I've ever felt.

I woke up at 5:00 this morning with intense menstrual-type pains in my lower abdomen.  I haven't had pain like this my entire pregnancy.  It's intense, but doesn't "come and go" like contractions do.  

However, every 5 or so minutes, my tummy is getting tight for about 30 seconds and then it will loosen up again.  These only are mildly painful.  Not like the constant pains in the menstrual area.

This is my first pregnancy and I have no idea what contractions or going into labor feel like.  Is this something I Need to wake up my husband for and have him take me L&D?  Or would they just send me home?  Should I call them?  

What do you guys think/suggest?

Thanks so much!!
I am not going to help you much: I never felt my contractions! But my baby felt them and was in distress, I had to have an emergency C-section.

I would call the maternity ASAP and tell them the symptoms you are currently experiencing, this very well could be contractions! Good luck!

Hi there.  The tightening of the tummy does indeed sound like labor pains.  At least those are very much what mine felt like.  If they are not overly painful, and inconsistent in timing, chances are it is braxton hicks, or "practice contractions".  Your body is starting to get ready!!

Real contractions tend to be fairly regular and begin to intensify pain wise (don't worry, it's not horrible!).  They also do not go away, but start coming closer and closer together.

If you are even remotely concerned, do not hesitate to take a trip to L&D, or to call your Dr.  If your water breaks, it is recommended you go to L&D to be checked.  Also, most Dr.s recommend coming in when labor pains are about 5 minutes apart and are intense.  I sort of think of it like a wave.  They begin, increase and peak, then decrease with a break in between.  

The menstural type cramping you are experiencing is likely what is called round ligament pain.  Ligaments in your body stretching and pulling as baby is big now.  It's very common and very normal.

But again, remember your Dr. works for you, and do not worry about calling or going to L&D too often.  I went in several times in my final weeks as I had contractions for about 2 weeks before I went into "hard labor".  I always recommend erring on the side of caution.

Congrats to you!  I wish you a healthy and easy delivery.  So exciting!!
Thank you so much for your replies, ladies.

So here's the update:

We went into Labor and Delivery and turns out I WAS contracting and the contractions were only 1 minute apart! But then I'd have a 10 minute stretch where I didn't have any. And then another 10 minute stretch where they were 1 minute apart. They checked me and I had dilated a LITTLE (just to a 1.  But yesterday at the doctor's I wasn't dilated at all.). But when she checked me again in an hour, my dilation hadn't changed, so they told me to come home.  She actually told me that if I had dilated more - even to a two, then they would have kept me there!  Also, she could feel the baby's head!!  SO exciting!!
did they give you anything to stop the contractions? 35 weeks is still a little early. Normally they will stop labor until week 38 (sometimes week 37 depending on the circumstances)
Wow, that's what happened to me at 32 weeks and actually at 34 weeks. But I went because I knew I had a scheduled scsection and I stay about 35 minutes form the hospital I didnt want to wait. But I wasnt dilated or anything so that was good. They gave me terbutaline each time to stop my contractions. And my pain wa mostly in my back, the came to my stomach were it got tight.

How are you making it on bedrest? How has your blood pressure been?

So you are due around the 10th of Nov, that was my origainal due date but he will csection me on Nov 3, I will be 39 weeks then
My Due date is 11/10 but am prego with twins. My C sect date is 10/28.  
I also have one baby who is very low with constant tummy tighting but have been told no contracting yet which suprirses me.  I go weekly for monitoring.  Next appt is 10/10

Good Luck to you
Thanks ladies!  @ChristineMP - no they didn't give me anything to stop the contractions since I have preeclampsia and it would actually be better if the baby comes early.  When I had my 35 week appointment yesterday, my doctor told me that we now should be "good to go" if I happen to go into labor on my own.  And if the baby isn't here by 37 weeks, they'll induce me.  @sixplus1 - my original due date was 11/11/11 - fun huh? :)  But then my doctor moved me up to November 8th.  

The regular contractions have stopped, although I'm still having them - just not 1 minute apart like this morning.  But the back pain is back again tonight - just like last night.  So I guess we'll see what the morning brings. :)
It sounds as though you are getting close :) I bet you are excited! Best wishes for an easy and uneventful labor and delivery of a happy, healthy baby.