Pregnancy 35+ Community
Ivf and donor age 47

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ivf and donor age 47

Hi all. My wife is 47, We have been married for 23 years. Got two children age 22 and 19.  After the second child we decided to have the tubes tied.   That was 19 years ago. Well last year we went for tubal reversal and found out my wife had abnormal fallopian tubes after the reversal. After 9 months TTC nothing happened. In early July this year we decided to look into ivf.  The timing was great. The ivf began straight away.  We found a donor and the treatment began.  Our donor gas us 19 eggs, 15 fertilized, and 10 left after 3 days. 2 embryos were transferred on 06/08/2011 and 8 were frozen.  We are now on 19/08/2011. 13 days after transfer and my wife has had 5 pregnancy tests. All have shown pregnant,  The last shows 3+ with clearblue. We advised the clinic and they said the results could be incorrect and we will have to wait until the 20/08. Does anyone know if the tests could wrong and show a false result. The total cost for the ivf treatment was $18000.   Would lover to hear from people as we are unsure of the results.    Ps. I'm doing all the legwork as I think you girls have enough to worry about. 
I think your a sweetheart for posting this.  It's nice to have a man posting on this forum!  So, welcome to our community!

The reason they told you it could possibly be a false positive is because of the HCG injections.  That is the same hormone that a home pregnancy test works off of.  So it is possible to still have HCG left in the bloodstream (and urine) from that.  However, in most cases it is gone app. 10 days pas transfer, so I bet anything you two are pregnant.  Tomorrow is the 20th, so you will have your answers then, but I would bet we are celebrating with you both.  Please try to pop in and update us....nothing we love more here then a happy ending story.  Best of luck, and as we say around here SSBD!! (super sticky baby dust..lol)
If you used a donor, your wife did not have hCG injections, the donor did.  Therefore, a positive is a positive, there is no hormone she is taking that would have given her a false positive.  The clinic is being stupid if they tell you that you could get five false positives.  Congratulations, she is pregnant!  You're going to be a dad again.  :)
Whoops...thanks for the correction Annie!  So huge congratulations to you both!!!  Like I said, love those happy endings!
Well.  It's the 20th and the test still shows pregnant. Thanks for your messages.  Will let you know how we get get on.
I think you guys are pregnant!!!!!!!!  I am looking foward to hearing about your BFP.
I also did DE.  I tested posted 5 days after my 5 day transfer.  :-)
I am now 7 months pregnant with twin boys.
BFP. Just Been tested by doctor.  And confirmed. Yeah!!!!

She had 2 embryos transferred.
Good luck with your twins.  Yes my wife is pregnant. Confirmed by a doctor yesterday.  
I too am pregnant with twins @ 45 with donor eggs. We transferred 2 and are currently 8 weeks 3 days pregnant with twins. So exciting! Congratulations & good luck!
Congratulaions. That's good news. Not sure if we are having twins.  
Congratulations!

Congrats on your twins, hope everything is going ok, our update, my wife is 5 weeks and 3 days, and on the 23/08 and this morning 27/08 she has seen a small amount of reddish blood ( small amount but worrying ) she has no pain or cramps but would like to know how this could affect the pregnancy. Our first scan is not until early September. She is now taking it easy but we are a little worried.  
Still going fine.  My wife is 13 weeks and has had a scan.   All appears ok.  
Thanks for keeping us updated.  Bleeding happens to a lot of women in pregnancy and often is nothing to worry about.  Always best to report it though, so it's good you did.  Congrats on 13 weeks!  That is a huge milestone and the majority of pregnancies that go to 13 weeks result go the distance.  Great news!  Did the scan show one or two babies?  Congrats again!!
Very comforting to hear all of those donor egg recipients with success.  I am on day 5 post ET with 2 good donor eggs.  At 47 I worry about if now suceeding.  I have spotting today and have been having cramps ever since transfer.  

Very hard times waiting but we are lucky to have go this far :)  Is it possible to get AF 5 days after donor egg transfer - I hope this is implantation bleeding.  

Good luck to you all out there - any one out there feeling like me?
My wife went through the same as you. She had bleeding for at least 8 weeks of the pregnacy. It's is more than likley implantation bleeding. I am
Happy to sayy wife is still pregnant and now 21 weeks.  We have 19 weeks ago. Just remain positive, take it very easy and don't stress for the first 8 weeks.
Cazsev - spotting during early stages of pregnancy is very very common.  Implantation bleeding however is typically a very minute amount and lasts only a day or so.  It's also not as common as many think.  For the most part, Dr's often don't know what causes spotting, but it happens in about 30% of pregnancies, and most of the time women go on to have normal, healthy pregnancies.

Babysat - so great to hear your update and so happy to know all is going well!  Please make sure you let us know when your wife gives birth.  We love to celebrate new arrivals around here!
just to let you all know, she is still doing fine and looking good.  it seems likes years ago i was on medhelp.   anyway she is just over 34 weeks and not far away now.

PS my wife is now age 48  - i was 1 year out!
Did your wife use donor eggs?
Yes donor.  If you are over age 45 the egg quality is poor and there is likely to be more complications or mc. We also tried for tubal reversal. This was a complete waste of money and we should of gone for Ivf donor from the start. Check out the clinic we went to.   Ukcfa.  

We have less than 60 hours left before our little boy is here.  

Good luck.
I too went through all you did and am really happy we got to use donor eggs, I am 18w6d pregnant!
God bless you and your wife!
Please keep us posted!
Melanie
My wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy last week   He was 7.0lbs.  What a wonderful week.  
Congrats to you both.  I know you are so proud.  Good luck to you.
Congratulations! That is wonderful news!
WOW!!!...how wonderful congratulations!!!!!!
I am 47 my hubby 29 and just did IVF March 16 with donor eggs in Spain...
Yesterday I did my BETA...722!!!!!
it's a great start after 7 years....

again it's great news!!...makes feel better to hear that someone my age has done it!!!
Just don't stress out. Keep calm. Our baby boy is 15 days old and now travelling the world.   Good luck to u all.
Yes trying to be as calm as ever...pregnancy is proceeding...hoping to hear a heartbeat on Friday!!(25th)....thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!
Good luck to you. Hope all works out.

Our baby is just over 1 month old. Our story is we both went on a big diet before my wife became pregnant. We both  lost 20 kilos each in 3 months, eating the right foods, plenty of fruit and vegs. Plenty of swimming. I believe this was one of the major factors in helping to become pregnant. The weight loss took off at least 10 years in the way we felt.

I would suggest also that you only look at the positive links rather than e negative ones when you are trying to get pregnant as I believe that they have an effect on how you feel and could change the outcome
Our baby is now 10 months old. Mom is now 49. everything perfect. Just had another try - FET a few days ago. Got to wait another 10 days. We feel confident.  Will let you know.
Forgot to mention .    Just wanted to say we used the same clinic in Cyprus.  UKCFA is there UK agents / clinic.
How wonderful to hear an update from you.  Congrats on the little one, and best of luck on your recent FET.  Let us know!!
How's it going? I just read all these and I'm pretty excited for you!
This is wonderful news for you guys!! You are an inspiration for lots of 'older' mums! Good luck for this time round, please let us know how it goes.
We are on day 5 after FET. -all good at the moment. No symptons.  Just a little early to say. Got another 7 days to go. It's a long 2 ww.
Hello everyone. Just an update.

Been reading the comments on our account. Seems like years ago. Our baby is now 27 months old.

The second round of ivf never worked.

But there have been a lot of Twists and turns so we decided to write a book. We listed it on Amazon and kindle. Look for Sarah's child.

I'll post a link. Not sure if I'm allowed.

Www.sarahschild.com.au