Pregnancy 35+ Community
Less than 1 on HCG blood test, can I still be pregnant?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I had a low birth weigh baby in '06 and returned to using BCP. No sex until I had unproceted sex around the beginning of May '08.  I was not on BCP at the time.  The guy I was with states he had a vasectomy years back.  About a week after intercourse I started cramping very bad for 3 days with no bleeding.  The following week I had what seemed like a period with the dark red patchy looking blood for a day or two then bright red for the other 4 days.  I have been bloated ever since, breast tenderness, a few days of nausea, dull back pain--and most of the symptoms of pregnancy.  I told the guy and he had 2 sperm counts done and both results were at zero.  Along the way Ive had 2 ultrasounds (outside the pelvis) at 7 wks and at 12wks.  The say that there is nothing there at all. Ive had 3 HPT (all negative), one lab urine test (negative), one qualitive (negative) and one quantitive (less than 1) serum blood tests. Also had all the normal tests done to check for hormones etc. The qualitive serum test and hormonal test were done at "16 weeks" (gestational age if I were pregnant.) Everything is in range except for my insulin.  Its about 6 points out of range.  My OBGYN tells me I am not pregnant and told me to start taking my BCP again but I still have the sensitive breasts, Ive been having what seems like a period for around 5 days every month, it comes a few days early but it comes. My stomach is getting bigger and rounder, around my stomach is still sensitive--cant wear regular jeans ect. I cant wear underwire bras. I'm having cramping, lower back pain, I feel wave like sensations almost constantly in my abdomen.  A few days ago I had dull shooting pain in my thighs and lower back. My heart races when I am startled or stand up too quick and I can feel a heartbeat when I touch my abdomen.  Ive also had skin eruptions( skin moles) appearing on my breasts, abdomen, arms, bikini area, chest and thighs.  So after all this, could I be pregnant?  My OBGYN doesnt want to do any more tests and sent me to a therapist because she thinks I  might be going thru pseudocyesis.  I am going to make another appointment with my doctor to get tested again or get another ultrasound.  Please, can anyone shed any light on this?????
It sounds like what could be a phantom pregnancy.  Have they checked your ovaries?  This seems hormone related and dependent on your age could be peri-menopause.  Again could be IBS... there are so many different things this could be!  I suffer from IBS and my stomach would bloat like I'm pregnant with it.  Also we all have a heartbeat in our stomach naturally.  There is no way there is a baby if they have scanned you, you now need to look for other causes.  Good luck!
I'm puzzled.  With all the tests you had performed, zero sperm detections, ultrasounds, and Neg HPTs...I'm sure you are not pregnant. I do not know what a phantom pregnancy is, so I can't comment on that.  Best of luck!
They checked my ovaries and say there is nothing wrong, didnt see anything like ectopic pregnancy or anything.  I am 39 yrs old and overweight.  Was also wondering if that has anything to do low hcg levels?
We'll I would say your definately not pregnant.  I also don't know anything about phantom pregnancy.  Have you been tested for anything else?  I wonder if your low insulin levels are a sign of a hormonal imbalance.  I wish I could be of more help, but I do wish you well and hope you get your answers soon.
If you google phantom pregnancy you can read about it, it is a real phenomena and well documented.  I too am overweight and just short of your age, so I don't think that is affecting your hcg levels as I am pregnant now with no problem conceiving.  You could, as I said be entering the change, which is possible.  Did your mum enter it young?  If so then it's more than likely that you are.  You need to put pregnancy out of your head and try to concentrate on balancing your hormones, which are obviously out of whack at the moment!  good luck!
I hate to get too personal but how over weight are you and how much exercise do you get?  Sometimes too much exercise can play havoc with our system.
Thanks for all of your information.  I will google that and read what it has to say.   I cant remember when my mom started menopause but I want to say it was in her early to mid forties. And insulin is high --out of range by 6 points.  So maybe......
According to regular standards is am obese ..roughly 50-80 pounds over the standard for my height.  They say I should be around 150 or so.  I try to exersice 3 times a week so no problem on that part.
I go to see my PCP tomorrow.  Maybe she can do an ultrasound of my abdomen to see if there is anything else wrong with me. Maybe I can convince her to let me get a transvaginal u/s too.  I feel as tho my stomach is being twisted and stretched and my back hurts.