Pregnancy 35+ Community
Low HCG

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Low HCG

Hi.  I am 4 weeks and 3 days pregnant but the urine tests done at home and at the doctor's have only been faint.  I had a blood test yesterday and the HCG count was 50.  Today they did a vaginal scan and seem to have ruled out an ectopic pregnancy.  I have been prescribed progesterone today but my levels not been tested yet.  I have been told that the chances are 50/50 but to wait another 2 days and do another blood test and see what's happening with the HCG count.  This is my first pregnancy and I am really upset.  Should I be preparing myself for the worst?  Many thanks.
Tags: low hcg
Its usual for pg test lines to be faint esp in early pregnancy so don worry yourself about the colour. Most importantly are your HCG count or they call it beta HCG. They would like you to test in another 2days to see if your HCG will double or triple (for some people). That is a sign the pregnancy is progressing. However there are many women out there whose HCgs did not double and were slow rising and they went on to have normal pg. My HCG for this3rd pg did not double - but rose slowly only and plus I was spotting so I thought it was not going to be a viable pregnancy. Thank God that after a week, we saw a sac and my HCg rose to what it should be at 5 weeks. Yes you have to wait for your second blood test. Do keep us posted and think positive!
Yep, I agree...unfortunately, it's a waiting game...and that's soooo hard.  As long as your levels are going up, that's a great sign.  I also had slow rising HCG levels and was terrified, but I'm 19 weeks now.  Sometimes too much stress is put into those HCG levels too early.  Be positive for little one....I'll be thinking of you!
When I first got pg my beta was 40 at 14dpiui. Last month I gave birth to a healthy baby boy. My first beta was "low" compared to other numbers I saw but my RE told me that the important thing is that the beta rises appropriately - at least 60% in 48 hours. Good luck!
Thank you Maxine77, momuvtwo0130 and docsaf for your advice and guidance- much appreciated.  I have now had the results of the second blood test- taken 72 hours after the 50 HCG count- it is now registering at 200 (I am now 4 weeks and 5 days) ;0)  Obviously I am delighted and relieved.  The consultant seems happy and only wants to see me in 10- 14 days for a scan at which she hopes to be able to see the heartbeat.  Other posts seem to indicate that 200 at almost 5 weeks is still too low but I am thinking positive.
Thanks again for your kindness.
Thats a great increase, congratulations.  The increase is more important than the actual number. The range of normal is huge.  It sounds like things are off to a decent start for you.