Pregnancy 35+ Community
Low progesterone/miscarriage

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Low progesterone/miscarriage

My doctor knew at 5 weeks that my progesterone was low at 7.3. He kept telling me not to worry because the baby was growing and he said progesterone could cause "possible" defects in the baby. At 10 weeks he sent me in for an u/s and found out my baby girl had died at almost 8 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestion?
I am really sorry for your loss,  I would definitly look into your dr's backround.  That doesnt seem right to me.  He should have put you on progesterone.
At 4 weeks my progesterone was at 10.5 the normal should be around 11 (according to my dr) and she put me on progesterone  100 mg 3x daily.

I wish you the best of luck. and again i'm sorry for your loss

Kazwel
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  I would also look into finding another Dr.  My progesterone was 8.26 and they also put me on progesterone 100mg 3x a day.  I am only 4 weeks 5 days but I think it is common for them to put you on progesterone if it is low.  

My first pregnancy I m/c and my OBGYN never even took my blood at all!  They never even tested my HCG (when I was preg., or when I m/c.).  I'm changing OB's.  I'm thinking my progesterone must have been low then too.  I wish you luck!  I'm sooooo sorry to hear about your loss!
you need to find another dr... low progesterone will cause a m/c... you should be on it every month you are ttc after ov... sometimes by the time you get a BFP it is too late..  I was on it with dd now 5yrs and am on it again with this baby and I am 25w today good luck and am so sorry
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've made up my mind now to find another dr. It sucks because there aren't that many OB's here, good ones anyways. My dr is supposed to be the best so it'll be hard. What kind of progesterone should I be on? Cream, pills, etc.??? Your help is appreciated.
I too think your doctor should have given you a supplement as a precaution. However, it's very possible that the REASON your progesterone was low was because it was a non-viable pregnancy to begin with.

I've had two miscarriages myself, and while they didn't monitor my progesterone levels during my first pregnancy, they did detect a level of 9 in my second pregnancy. So I was put on prometrium...as a precaution...but ended up having a miscarriage anyway.

Most doctors will give you a progesterone supplement if your levels are low...just in case.

I am so sorry for your loss.
they are supositories and it is fine to use... your levels go way up inpg. andi is normal...
They did a chromosome check on my baby girl and found no defects at all in her. It was purely due to low progesterone according to all the results of mine and the babys tests.Thanks for your help.
Oh wow! I am so sorry, marie! What did your doctor say when they got the results back? Did he at least say that progesterone supplements might be a good idea next time? Either way, I don't blame you for looking for a new doctor...

When it comes to supplements, I think most agree that the pills (usually prometrium) or suppositories are best, since the creams are not regulated and can have varying amounts of progesterone.

I hope you get pregnant again soon and have a healthy, happy nine months next time.

Take care!
Hi, I've had 4 miscarriages.  I was on progesterone supplements with two of my pregnancies.  Once with pills and with the last one the doctor had my husband giving me progesterone injections.  I miscarried anyway although my levels were fine and nothing chromosonal came up with the fetus.  I've done a lot of research and there's really no definite answer as to whether the progesterone is low due to a non-viable pregnancy or if supplements really help.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.