Pregnancy 35+ Community
Methergine after miscarriage

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Methergine after miscarriage

I am 37 and had a miscarriage about 3 weeks ago.  I was 6 1/2 weeks pregnant.  With the exception of one night that just felt like a big bowel movement, I didn't have any cramping or pain.  I bled for a week, then stopped for 2 days, then started bleeding again but worse.  My hCG counts have plateaued.  I am going in every week for blood tests so they can keep an eye on things... I'm  not sure what the results are yet of the tests from this week.  They did an ultrasound and everything is out of my body and an exam showed everything as normal.  Since I am still bleeding a lot and my counts are still high, they put me on Methergine for 2 days.  It's suppose to make me cramp up so my body discharges what ever is left of the placental tissue.  I just started the medication this morning and have already taken my 2nd pill for the day.  While I'm feeling really funky, I definitely do not feel any cramping and I'm not sure if the bleeding is going to subside.  Has anyone gone through this before?  I know it might sound better to most that I'm not having any pain but I'm also worried that my body isn't healing properly if I'm not feeling anything.  Any suggestions?
I would probably give your Dr. or even pharmascist a call.  I know every women is very different, and if there wasn't much left that could be the reason for no cramping.  The common reason for cramping is your cervix opening, and if you were already dialted, perhaps there is no issue.  I am only speculating as I am not a Dr.  I had a bit of a bad experience with a drug intended to help when I had my first miscarriage.  I bled profusely and wound up requiring an emergecy D&C.  So if you are concerned it is not doing what it is supposed to, please do not take a wait and see approach, or rely on any information here. Call your Dr.  Reactions to any drug taken for the first time can vary from person to person.

I also want to add...with the bleeding.  If you start to bleed heavily (1 pad per hour) please seek emergency medical treatment..do not wait to see your Dr.  

I am sorry you are miscarrying...I know how difficult a time this is.  I wish you healing.
Thank you for your comments!  I am only going through one mini pad (sometimes 2) a day... I'm not really bleeding through that but when I do go to the bathroom, it seems like a LOT of blood and clotts come out.  My Dr. said since my uterus is pretty much cleaned out, a D&C probably won't do much good at this point and would only be done as a last resort.  I never thought I'd say this but.... bring on the CRAMPING... I just want to get this over with.  We would like to try again and the longer we have to wait, the older I will be and the more risks I fear I may face.  Just want to close this chapter and open the next one. :-(
I know how you feel.  I hope it's over for you soon and you can move forward.  And try not to worry..having a miscarriage does not make you more likely to have a second.  Unfortuantely this is something so many of us go through, and the majority of us go on to have healthy babies.  I just had a healthy little boy 7 months ago, just before I turned 41.  And I fully intend to have another!  It will be ok.  Take good care.