Pregnancy 35+ Community
NT Scan - Amnio Question

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

NT Scan - Amnio Question

My husband and I decided from the beginning that we would have an amnio done based on our ages.  I'll be 40 when I deliver in May.  We just want to know to have that peace of mind.  I asked my doctor at our last appt about the NT scan since I will be 12 weeks tomorrow.  He said that if we plan to have the amnio that there is no point to have the NT scan.  The amnio will tell us everything we need that the NT scan necessarily wouldn't.  My question is what is the point of even getting an NT scan when the results most of the time are wrong?  Obviously the older you are, the worse the results are going to be.  I've read alot of women get this test and end up getting bad results which in the end just causes more stress.  The only advantage it seems to me for getting the NT scan is that you get another ultrasound to see the baby.  Please tell me if I am missing something on this NT scan.  I just don't see the point of doing it, if in the end it will just cause stress, which as pregnant women, we definately don't need.  
The NT scan is for screening purposes only.  It is not a diagnostic test.  Many women wait until they get the results from that to decide whether or not they want to do more invasive testing (such as amnio).  So it's not that the NT results are actually wrong, they just tell you what your risk factor is.  One of our ladies here (Ruby) had her NT results come back with a 1:1600 for downs syndrome.  She decided based on that that no further testing was needed (personally, I would have made that same decision).  In my case, my risk from NT was 1:13, so I decided to go ahead with the amnio.  Our co-cl, PamelaBee, decided to have neither, as the NT results can scare the heck out of you when all is fine.  It all depends on whether you want to know or not.  If you have already made up your mind to do amnio, your Dr.'s advice is good..no sense in getting the NT and worrying needlessly until you get your amnio results.  Amnio is diagnostic, NT just determines level of risk, and it not diagnostic.  It's a personal decision and we all need to do the right thing for ourselves.  Good luck to you!!!
Exactly, Amanda...we had the NT to give us a risk estimate. It ended up that the risk of miscarriage from the amnio was higher than the risk that the baby had downs...so we stuck with our NT results and didn't worry about it after that. If you are doing the amnio, there really isn't a reason to do the NT.
Hi riley, I agree that there's no reason to do the screening tests such as NT if you already know you are going to do CVS or amnio.

I was on the fence about CVS/amnio, which is the only reason I went for the screening tests. But if you are already set on amnio, why put yourself through the possibility of a false positive on a screening? I see no point. Just my $.02. :)
All I can say is that the NT and blood test scared the **** outta me.  NY Scan came back frin...the blood test that goes with it gave me a 1:8 chance of downs...mind you, "abnormal" numbers start at 1:250.  

So, the NT has the benefit if seeing bay bean again...but can come with bad results.  Like amanda, I too will do Amnio at 16-18 weeks.  

What ***** is you have to wait so long to be able to have the amnio done regardless...

Hi All,

Had NT screen yesterday 1t 13 weeks.  Results came back at 1/1400 for DS.  I am 40, so this is a great statistic (they factor age into the calculation).  We had thought from the beginning that we would do an amnio, but I am one of the 1% of women with recurrent pregnancy loss and have already lost 3 pregnancies in the first trimester, so am more anxious and reluctant than most to go through the amnio... Basically, I fear that I will be that 1 woman in 300 who will have a m/c as a result.  So with these numbers, I am feeling much better about the decision to possibly forgo it.  The reality is though that we don't have the means to deal with a downs baby.  Not sure what to do.  Any thoughts?
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers