Pregnancy 35+ Community
Natural Pregnancy after IVF - possible?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Natural Pregnancy after IVF - possible?

Hi Ladies,

I recently gave birth to my DD after a successful IVF treatment.  I was just wandering if it is possible to get pregnant naturally after going through this procedure.  Or will we need to do IVF again to have another.  We were diagnosed as "unexplained".  

Thoughts or experiences anyone?
Your chances of getting pregnant naturally are not made any worse by having had IVF.   A lot depends on your age and other factors, and since you don't know why you had trouble before, it's hard to say if having been pregnant will change things for the better, but at least it doesn't mean you have reduced your ability to get pregnant naturally.  
I got pregnant naturally with my son after a failed/miscarriage IVF. I too was diagnosed as unexplained.
How long had you been TTC before resorting to IVF? I'm also wondering if I might be able to conceive naturally after having done IVF even though we were TTC for 2.5 years before this.
hi .. I know about 5 different people that had their first child through IVF after years and years trying .. only to fall pregnant naturally the next time .. and very easily too .. I think it doesn't matter if you have an IVF or natural pregnancy .. your body just recognises being pregnant much easier the second time.  Of course, if your IVF had been because of fertility problems not unexplained fertility, then you may have to have IVF for the next child.
oops .. just saw that you were unexplained .. no reason why it won't be natural next time though .. I am 39 and 11 weeks pregnant and if this pregnancy goes well and we get a bub in 6 months, we will probably use one of our frozen embies next time as I will be 41 by the time we want a 2nd and the 39 year old egg will have more chance of survival
You truly know FIVE people who got pregnant naturally after IVF??? That number seems astonishing to me (and will probably make me overly optimistic when the time comes). How old were they for both pregnancies?
I know of two or actually three.  They were surprise pregnancies because of course the ladies involved had IVF and didn't think they could get pregnant naturally.  Needless to say they were sooner than those three had wanted the second one to be, especially since one of them was a c-section and then bam she was pregnant way too quickly after, no complications though thankfully.
I do .. I'm not sure of the exact age of a few of them (friends of friends) but going by my friends age.. I think the IVF babies were when they were between 35-37 and the natural ones a few years after that

The 3 that are my friends were for IVF bubs: 36, 34 and 38 .. my friend who was 38 (39 when she had her bub), was planning to do IVF a while after the first and got naturally pregnant when she was still breastfeeding her 9 month old .. quite a shock!

the 34 year old had her 2nd at 37 .. they had only just started trying again.

the 36 year old was too broke to try for IVF again so was putting it off and they tried naturally for a year (with one miscarriage) before falling naturally ... I also know quite a few people who tried IVF and had miscarriages only to go on to do it naturally after .. all these people around me have kept me strong in our 4 1/2 years of TTC
I had been trying for 2 full years with no results before I did my IVF. After the IVF/miscarriage I got pregnant naturally 4 months later but miscarried. I got pregnant naturally 2 more times, an other miscarriage then a successful pregnancy that started almost 2 years later after the IVF. I believe that the IVF unblocked something in me allowing me to get pregnant on my own, not sure what though!
Amazing. I hope I can be this lucky!
Wow.  Thanks so much for all of  your responses.  My husband I we trying 10+yrs prior to our first IVF cycle, which resulted in our beautiful baby girl, as well as 8 frozen embryos.

I would of course love to get pregnant naturally as well and wanted to get a sense of the likelyhood.  Since our IVF cycle resulted in so many embryos.

--Terisa
Very inspring! I will keep my fingers crossed that I can also get pregnant naturally in a couple years.
I had my first born child thru IVF ( 3rd attempt) @ age 36. After 2 years unexpectedly conceived naturally . There is hope.
I had my first DD through IVF in 2002. Our DX was male factor infertility, although I always wondered if there was some " unexplained" with me. At 7 months pregnant my husband and I split. When my daughter was 15 months old I started dating an old highschool friend. We were together ALOT for 8 UNPROTECTED years and nothing - he already had two children naturally. Now I have been with my fiancé for one year-
TTC for 6 cycles... I am almost 37 and 6 weeks pregnant! Never thought it would happen but SO happy. We could never have afforded IVF again.
Congratulations!
I would like to tell you my story me and my husband have been together for 15 years and after 10 years we did ivf and had my dd and when she was 4 months I had leep surgery on my cervix, and when she was 14 months we found out I'm pregnant it was a big surprise I'm now 20 weeks with a boy. So it can happen our reason for ivf was low sperm count. We never thought we would ever get pregnant again but it can happen.
A freind of mine has had 2 lots of ivf 9 yrs apart, she was told she could never conceive naturally, anyway her baby she has just had is 9 mnth old and she is now about 15 wks pregnant with baby #3.She is still in shock on how this has happened.
I have personally had this happen. Over two years ago, after two failed rounds of IVF, I was told I probably couldn't have children of my own due to poor egg quality (by the way, I'm now only 24 years old, my husband and I went through infertility treatments when I was between 21 and 22  - I accidentally clicked on 35+ and saw your post). Before the rounds of IVF we were diagnosed as "unexplained" because nothing seemed to be wrong. Once we did IVF they were able to see that almost none of our embryos survived past about day 2 or 3. That's when I was diagnosed with poor egg quality... Well, here we are - two years later and I am 24 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy! Completely natural, no medical treatments at all. This was a huge surprise for us. A total miracle. ♡
I went through 3 rounds of IVF to get my DS who is 8 now. I found out i was pregnant naturally in February and am 38 weeks now and 39 years old!! It can happen....