Pregnancy 35+ Community
Not very happy : (

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Not very happy : (

Hi Ladies!  I took a HPT about 30 min ago, and it was negative...BUT...I'm still 5 days before my period is due.  Plus, last month I spent a fortune in HPTs, so I grabbed a couple Dollar Tree (New Choice) brand $1 preg tests, which I've heard both good and bad reviews...so, I'm hoping it's too soon to test, or my $1 HPT are worth every bit of $1, meaning junk! My first pregnancy, I tested early (about 5-6 days) before AF, and I got a double red line, with one light pink, and as the days went on they both turned dark red...so that's why I'm so eager to test this early. It's amazing how your body can play tricks on you.  Days ago, I felt cramping like implantation, and I had slight tingling in my boobs...so I smiled to myself and thought YES! YES!! But, I know both implantation and premenstral symptoms can be VERY similar and it can really trick you into thinking you're experiencing early pregnancy symptoms, when it's just ole AF getting ready to make her appearance!  Oh well, tomorrows another day!!  Pls keep me in your BFP thoughts!  : )  Pam
I knew I was pregnant before a positive HPT because I broke out...this has happened with all 5 pregnancys.  I would try again in a day or so...easy for me to say :)  Good luck!!!
I think 5 days prior could be a bit too early, though I've had luck testing around 4 days prior.  For me, the key was using a First Response Test (which are UBER sensitive), then pulling the thing apart and holding the little strip up to the light! LOL!  This time, I was 10 dpo and only by doing that did I see a faint line.  My husband thought I was nuts, but I saw it!!!  I tested two days later with the First Response and it was a little darker.  The Dollar Tree ones never showed up as early as the First Response for me.

One thing I noticed, is that first morning pee didn't work at all for me! I got a darker line later in the day.

Sheri
MEGA BABY DUST!!!!!!! I hope you get a BFP soon!!!!
Thank you for all your comments...If this were last month, I would have ran out purchased 10 of the most expensive HPTs by now...but I'm going to give it a couple more days, if still neg from $1 HPTs, I'll get a First Response or Clear Blue.  Ahh, the joy of waiting...
You would think by now they could come up with a test that tells you at conception!  Maybe we impatient ones (as you know I am jjust like you that way) could "invent" something?  At 5 days you are right at that border line where you may or may not get a postive, so I am going with its too early.  Do you know what HCG level those dollar store ones pick up at?  I bet there is a 1-800 # to call and find out with.  I have called both FR and Clearblue to find out..lol.  (Its 25 for them both).  I am with you, waiting is for the birds, but I am still keeping fingers and toes crossed for a BFP for you!!  Also, I had a similar experience as Sandi...positive FR test and negative urine at the Dr.  Their test wasn't as sensitive, it took blood work for them to believe me!  Best of luck Pam.
Actually, though First Response says the level they detect is 25 mIU of hCG "officially", Consumer Reports did a study and it detected 12.5 mIU of hCG very reliably.  Other reviews noted that it detected hCG as low as 6.3 and 6.5 mIU, right after implantation.  They list it as the best pregnancy test on the market as far as sensitivity and accuracy.  I have to say, even though it's expensive, it really is awesome.  I had twins the first time and tested positive 5 days post ovulation.  That's 9 days before my period was due! Of course, my HCG was much higher because I had twins, but still, that's crazy!

Sheri
The $1 store brand says 25mIU, and on the box it says "Compare to EPT".  That's the only reason I bought them...I'm going to refrain from buying a pricier one for now...thanks for the info!
I too think FRER has the best track record.  Many women on both fertility and this forums have had great success w/it.  I'd wait a couple extra days and test w/that one even though there's nothing wrong w/dollar tree - I just don't think they're as 'sensitive' - best of luck and SSBD! - jen
I know you think I was crazy for waiting for the test but I have always been told to wait till your at least two weeks late to test because anything can make you late. I am exactly one week late today but I am also 99% sure I am pregnant too because I started morning sickness (not in the morning) yesterday.  I will be testing this coming week.  I am hoping you are pregnant too
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers