Pregnancy 35+ Community
Nuchal Translucency

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Nuchal Translucency

I am 34 and pregnant with my third child.  I have had my NT scan and just received my blood work back (hcg and PAPP).  The blood work was within normal ranges, but my NT scan was 2.8mm at 13w3d.  Is that above the 95th percentile?  How much should I be concerned over just the NT scan?  I have a level II u/s scheduled for 6/9 but am scared to wait that long to find out if the baby has DS.  Would you recommend the amnio?  Whether morally wrong or not, we would probably terminate with a severe defect or DS.  Would you reommend waiting for Quad screen results and the level II u/s before proceeding with the amnio only if the risks are greater?  I'm having trouble concentrating because I'm worried so much.
Sorry guys...thought I was posting this on the expert forum....although I'm sure u guys are the experts now :) .
Actually I'm glad you posted and would like to hear other's responses. I'm in the same boat as you with debating about amnio or not. First child, 36 years old, adopted. I was thinking of doing all the non-invasive tests first then consider amnio.

Good luck.
Jen

I was in a similar situation with my 5 year old, when the afp came back as 1:39 Downs.  I declined amnio b/c I would not terminate.  Since you state you absolutely would terminate (and I make no judgment here, I don't think I would, but I also cannot imagine being in that position, so I respect your decision here), then I think you would want to do amnio regardless of the other tests.  Why wait for those results when you can directly to the test that will tell you?  
Did your doctor give you positive results and recommend an amnio?  My nuchal translucency came back negative and the blood work came back negative (but the ratio scared me 1:120), but my dr said he would not recommend an amnio with an overall negative result.  Did you get an overall negative or positive?  If it was positive, I would get the amnio.  It is nerve wracking, I know.  I would not have had the baby had it been found to have severe defects either.  I work with severely handicapped children, and know it's not something I'd want to do to my own child.  Good luck.
I will be having my NT scan in a few weeks, and DH and I have had a lot of discussion as to amnio and what we would do if there was DS or a severe defect.  I think if my NT and then the other non-invasive tests they can do show any indication we will do the amnio.  A lot of my friends, and my sister in law have had amnio and had no problems, they also said it really wasn't a painful experience.  We are still on the fence as to how we would handle the worst case scenario (although I completely believe in that its the parents choice, and you certainly wouldn't get any judgement here either), but we at least want to know.  Given that I will deliver 2 weeks shy of 40, my odds are somewhat increased, so for us its the best choice.  Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best, I know none of these decisions are easy ones.  Take care, and good luck to you.
My high risk ob/gyn said that anything above 2.5 is a cause of concern, like alikat said , if you are keepign this prg no matter what then i think you should not worry too much.

Whatever you decide it should be an informed decision and amnio will provide you with accurate information.  Also, amnio may ease your mind about potential serious defects.  I would not want to stress myself out and keep guessing about what ifs.

I am sure your baby is OK though.  Good luck!!
Get the Amnio...the other tests are just your "odds" and you seem sure of what you would do in the case of poor results. get the amnio, why spend the whole pregnancy thinking about your odds?
Ok...now I'm even more confused.  I got the nurse to tell me the risk rates and she said 1:549 for Down's and 1:9925 for Trisomy 18.  Those numbers look pretty good, but I don't know if they include that Nuchal Translucency # or not or are just the results from the blood work.  They are going to try and have a Dr or Nurse meet with me today to discuss when I go in for the Quad screen.  If those #s include the NT screen that I'm likely to wait and see what the Quad screen and Level II u/s show.  Aaaaaaahhhhhh
It sounds like everything is OK from what you have wrote.  And I would recommend Amnio if it seems unclear or confusing up to this point for you.  It will clearly give the answer.

HOWEVER....I must be a bit biased ....my 2 yr nephew has Downs....and this kid is a super star....and I mean that.  He has not been limited with Downs in the least bit.  And if you do your homework honestly if God had to pass a child a disability.....Downs is the LEAST severe.  So what if they walk/talk later than other kids?? Minor really.  But I do respect it is your body and child and if you and your DH are comfortable with that decision (and would never 'wonder' years later) then you must do what you must.  Just thought you may want a different point a view on the Downs. Personally for so many of us on here its so hard to get pregnant or carry the idea of terminating something you work so hard for is an impossible idea. So please understand it was not being critical of your personal choices.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers