Pregnancy 35+ Community
Odds of Pregnancy at Age 47?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Odds of Pregnancy at Age 47?

I'm already a whole week late, with subtle signs of pregnancy.  I just turned 47 and was planning on tying my tubes here in the the next month or so -- and now this?  I can't even find out what the odds of a natural pregnancy at my age are.  Some very definite changes from my "routine" cycle.  I've got some nausea, tender breasts and one negative pregnancy test.  But with my youngest son, my home pregnancy test also turned out negative, even though I was pregnant.  It just seems ridiculous to be pregnant -- we weren't even trying  and my husband didn't even have an orgasm -- he limped out during that encounter (around my birthday).  So it seems kind of like a joke.  I'm about ready to try a test again -- still no period and almost 2 weeks late now.  I keep reading how it's almost impossible at my age to get pregnant naturally.  Any comments?

Lindy
Viewing 1-200 comments:
You could be pre-menopausal, or pregnant lol
I am 50 and am 2 1/2 months late with pregnancy symptoms.  I went to the doctor and she actually laughed when I mentioned I might be pregnant.  My periods have always been very normal and then they just stopped 2 1/2 months ago.  I also have a new husband as of last May (ex had a vasectomy after first 3 children).  She said she thinks it is menopause, did a PAP and a blood test which was negative for pregnancy.  The symptoms are still here 3 weeks later so I will just take care of myself and see what happens I guess. She wouldn't do an ultrasound because of the negative blood test.

Momof16
Its not ridiculous, you may be pregnant, Its possible and Its almost imposible  as you wrote. Its really ridiculous to believe that there is not possibility to get pregnant after 45 or even 50 years old. If you are older under 45 or more and you have your period every month you can get pregnat  of course not to easy as a 25 or 30 years old woman but you can get pregnant.
I am 45  and I still looking for my second child after 2 miscarriages and I will be looking  for him or her until I am  48. Its really ridiculous for me when I meet a woman who does not want to try again and again because what doctors say about this, they just want donnor egg or adoption but of course Its up to of them. Good luck.
I saw your post on the fertility forum and thought you might be pregnant.  But, now reading that your husband "limped out" I highly doubt you're pregnant.  It takes a mans orgasm for sperm to fertilize the egg.  You're probably having menopausal symptoms.  Wait a few more days and take another test for sure.  But, I would relax, chances are you're not preg.  Good luck!
I am 46 and trying to get pregnant after two recent miscarriages.  I was told by my Reproductive Endocrinologist, who is very up to date on all of the statistics, that the odds of a natural conception at age 45 are 1 in 200 (or 1/2%).  After 45, fertility drops off dramatically (and most women that age aren't trying to conceive), so they don't even track the statistics after that point.  Also at 45, the miscarriage rate is 75-80%.  So even if the encounter with your husband had been more "successful," your odds of conceiving (and then carrying to term) would be extremely low.  A particular woman's chances can be considerably better, depending upon her egg quantity (as measured by her FSH score).  (I have been pregnant twice since last spring, but still miscarried, so I have a much better chance than most women of conceiving again, but still the same miscarriage rate due to quality problems in 46 year old eggs.)  You can't really go by your "symptoms," as they can be caused by fluctuating hormones (which are common in perimenopause).  Since it's not absolutely impossible you are pregnant, however, you might ask your doctor for a blood test, and then you'll know for sure.  Most women on this website over 45 really want to be pregnant so I hate to share these bleak statistics with them, but it sounds like in your case the low odds that you're pregnant will be good news....
Well everyone

Thanks for the comments.  It looks like my cycle was just out of the ordinary this month (I think).  And I'll be relieved, since I'm just not up to another baby right now.    My son has a chromosomal condition (extra Y), and was quite a handful for years.  Although now he's doing fairly well, considering his "disability".  It looks like he has the social skills to hold a job down as he gets older, although he still has severe learning disabilities.  After raising him (he's now 12, 6 feet 1 inches and 190 pounds or so), I have learned so much about disabilities and advocating for children.  I've met a couple moms of children with Down's who have had their kids mainstreamed in school.  One mom was told her son's IQ was in the 50's before she insisted on mainstreaming -- her son (now 18) learned to read starting in 3rd grade (although he repeated this grade) and by graduation was reading on a 6th grade level. He surprised everyone (including mom) and ended up higher functioning than expected.  He is now attending a program for "extended education" which is on a college campus -- and his IQ still tests in the 50's, so go figure.  He will continue to learn skills to become as independent as possible (although he doesn't drive).   Another mom tells me she expects her daughter to receive a "typical" high school diploma, although her daughter has had a lot of accomodations, etc.   Particularly important to these kid's success are strong parent advocacy, and keeping them OFF any psychiatric medications, including "ADHD" medications, which can actually worsen behavior, adversely affect epilepsy, etc.  So -- just in case anyone here receives the prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome, etc. -- just wanted to let you know these kids can still grow up, thrive, etc.  Anyways, I'm more able to accept a special needs child (should that happen), but really prefer a "breather".  My hubby is younger than me, and we don't have any kids together.

If things don't go back to "normal" here in a couple weeks, I'll consider going to the doctor.    I've been like clockwork the last several years, and women in my family don't typically go into menopause until their late 50's or near 60 (which can be good AND bad).  My thyroid medicine was changed slightly in the last month, so maybe that affected things.  Fortunately, I got rid of heavy, horrible periods when my dose of Synthroid was raised about a year ago -- first time in well over a decade my periods were somewhat more "normal", and I had asked doctors for YEARS and YEARS to "Check my thyroid, I think I need more thyroid medicine".  BTW, hypothyroid issues can cause infertility -- just a hint for some of you gals.  Natural ways to boost it are iodine, selenium, and rhodiola -- along with exercise.  Of course, there are those who just need thyroid medicine to be more "normal".
You're definatly knocked-up lady!!!
My mother had my brother at 46, my grandmother had my dad at 48....it could be menopause but you still could be pregnant. Just because your husband 'limped out' doesnt mean that some of his little soldiers couldnt have escaped before then. You dont have to have full intercourse to get pregnant.....i would suggest you try another test in a few days ....and keep us informed. Good luck.
I just turned 51 and am three weeks late and having pregnancy symptoms (nausea, fatigue, etc).  I have never been pregnant.  I  took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative. Does it make a difference if you take it in the evening vs. morning?  I would be elated if I was pregnant and so would my husband.  
I always took it in the morning, but they say it doesn't matter after you are further along.  I took a test yesterday for the fun of it and it is still negative!  I'm 24 weeks now.
you tood a pg test and it came out neg?
Have you tried a blood test?  Sometimes a pregnancy tests wont detect your pregnancy until your second month. I know because that happend to me with my second pregnancy, so I had to do the blood to confirm.
do you fill the baby? Im confused... You mean you have gone this long and no dr has said your pregnant? DEMAND a u/s!!! atleast get another dr. that is crazy.. Maybe Im misunderstanding.
I am 48 and have regular periods and have been trying for a 2nd baby with my husband since last May when we got back together after 16yrs.....1st and only child was by him 20yrs ago!! So I`m hoping to hear of others that are trying or have concieved at this late age despite that statistics, it is encouraging so keep us posted ladies!!
oh by the way....I say NEVER SAY NEVER.... It can always happen... when you least expect it. smile  Im living proof!! funny how I can smile now..atleast thil the 23rd.. thats my birthday!! 45 and pregnant... aint that special! ....shaking my head... dont get me wrong.. Im tickled pink now. .. but I still have my panic attacks, and  my omg's.. gonna go take a bath and go under water now.. wonderful stess relief these days.

It took us 9 years to have my dd 16 years ago and now we are 25 years and having our second dd.  you keep having those periods? It can happen... dont give up. and I wish you the best..here is some baby dust for  you!!
Yes, I had negative urine tests, went to the doctor at 9 weeks and had a negative blood test.  She refused to do an ultrasound because she said it was just menopause since I was 50 years old.  I had never missed a period in my life until October 14.  I kept having symptoms of pregnancy and went back to the doctor at 16 weeks.  She gave me an ultrasound and there he was!  I just took the HPT yesterday for fun to see if it would show positive. It was still negative and I'm 24 weeks. My oldest child is 28 and I have a 24 year old daughter that is pregnant with me!

momof16 plus one
I'm 46 1/2 and people are always assuming that I can't have any more kids. But am still getting my periods every month. So I bought some ovulation testing kits from the drug store to find out if I was still ovulating. Yep, I'm ovulating every month like clock work.
oh wow.. dd too? isnt that cool!!.. is she in the same town?
darn drs!!! cant believe you went thru all that and finally get an u/s for proff.. I bet she felt stupid! glad to hear they are ontop of it now.. geez...
Yea, I think it is really neat to be pregnant with my daughter.  She doesn't seem as thrilled though.  She definitely thinks I'm too old!  My kids are 28,27,24,21,19,19,12,11,11,10,10,9,9,7,7and 7.  The youngest 10 are still at home and are so excited.  They are already fighting to see whose turn it is going to feel the baby move.  I can't imagine what they will do when he is born.  The oldest aren't too thrilled, but I try not to pry in their lives and I expect the same respect from them.  My daughter isn't due until November so I hopefully she will mellow towards my pregnancy as hers progresses.  She lives about 4 hours from me.  
I want to see a family picture...

your dd probably just wants all the attention on her...
That is SOOOO cool mom of 16 and given me hope!! Look forward to seeing pics of your new son!!
This is a HOT (meaning exciting) thread...ok...I have to calm myself so that I can write like I have some sense. ;o)  I am floored, because I was going to come in with my story...just heard it from a friend who lives in N.C. & works in a hospital there. She told me that a lady in the neonatal ward who is 56 yrs. old...Did you all see that number? The lady is 56...gonna check to make sure it wasn't 54, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past 50 and the lady got pregnant NATURALLY!! HEY...it ain't over until the Big, Beautiful & Bodaius lady sings and apparently girlfriend is still warming her vocal pipes. I was soooooooo happy & encouraged by that news. It inspires me that I can still carry my baby from my own body...I don't have anything against any other method...not DE or any of them. You as an individual have to come to "THAT" place in your heart where you know... now is the time for me to go in a different direction...try a new way and I am not there.

The story that I've shared is great, but my Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl...momof16 has put the icing all up side the proverbial CAKE. ;o) Sorry ladies...had to go a lil' slang on ya to really make my point. That is the LADY...she brought it to the movies...meaning she made the statement that kicks all those nay sayers...especially negative RE's comments out the window.

See...my thing is this, we all have our own idea of what is good for us. So...if being over 40...some even think 35 is too old for you to have a child...fine...don't have one, but don't be so discouraging as to say these things to others whose hearts desire is to conceive a baby and aren't sooooooo worried about the age factor. I mean I believe we are all mature indivuals and that we are intelligent enough and can research the risk involved w/becoming preg at a more mature age.  BTW: This isn't directed at anyone...just my think out loud mind on download. As I've shared and know that many have read, my bbf was 46 when she became preg...thought she too was going to "sweat-city"(our term for it ;o) for a while, but instead she was very much positive w/baby n belly. ;o) She delivered a healthy & beautiful  baby girl after she turned 47.

It can be very disheartening when you hear someone (usually medical doc) say it's all over for you...you won't be able to conceive period w/your own eggs and definitely not naturally. So, for all the Sister Girlfriends 35 & over...special shout out to my GURLZ 40+...know that it can be done. Go the distance...whatever that is for you and don't allow anyone to take your hope away...DO YOU...whatever that is and however long it takes for you.

I really enjoyed this thread...very diverse in that we all have these different opinions, but more to the point...we have a strong over 50 lady on this thread who is 2 1/2 months pregnant...NATURALLY...it seems...correct me if I'm wrong momof16. ;o)

reflect8ion: You hear what I'm saying girlfriend? Do you! ;o)

kiaragirl: Work it out baby...you can do this!!! ;o) Check out Ms. Lady...momof16!! ;o)

vma: You are too funny w/that reply. ;o)

Dad2Maria: Work it out girlfriend...stay strong

Tennesseegirl: Gurrrrrrrrl...you are so full of baby beauty...I'm just waiting to see how beautiful girlfrriend is going to be when she gets here. ;o) Post plenty of pics of Ms. lady, or was it still Savanha? ;o) Yes...I remember.

Cheers Ladies,
Savanha~

I am now 6 months pregnant and will be 25 weeks tomorrow.  I am really enjoying watching the faces of the doctors who deal with "numbers" every day.  I deal with faith in
God and I know that God can do ANYTHING!  I've seen so many miracles already with our adopted children from Russia.  All should have been dead or severly handicapped.  They are all "normal" today.  Some of them were denied adoption by a judge until God turned things around for us.  We are a family of miracles and I will gladly testify to that.  This isn't to say that I haven't had my share of heartache.  I went through years of abuse that finally turned into physical violence.  I left my husband and raised 8 children basically alone until I met Mark last year.  My 3 adopted teenagers went off the deep end and got into drugs, sex and left home.  Yes, it has been hard at times, but God has answered Mark's prayer for a son, even at my age of 51.  So all things are possible.  

As far as it being harder to be pregnant at my age, I haven't noticed a difference.  I'm still active, although I take naps every afternoon.  If I feel tired, I slow down what I'm doing.  But we love to camp and hike and will be leaving in a few minutes for another weekend trip in our RV with 10 kids and a dog!  I feel great. No high blood pressure or anything.  I'm not a health nut,  or weight watcher or anything.  Just a fairly "normal" old woman!  I asked not to be monitored as a high risk patient unless some problems arise.  I don't like all the poking and prodding and tests.  The prospect of having a Down's child doesn't scare me.  I will raise him with joy.  Right now, I'm loving being pregnant and feel very, very blessed!

Joann
No wonder you got pregnant momof16 with that fab attitude!! You are an example to us all!! THANK YOU!
OMG I feel like I am 80 this time copared to the last pg... I keep saying being pg at 34 is so different than 28... I am so much more tired this time.. I enjoy it more but it is kicking my butt
Hi Momof16 and Everyone Else:

Somehow I lost the address for this site and didn't post for a while.  As an update, I think I might have been pregnant for a couple weeks or so and then lost it.  I'm back to clockwork periods.  I'm not upset or anything -- wasn't quite ready for another kid anyways.  But it's nice hearing comments from all of you.  Women older than 45 are almost treated like aliens or freaks for being pregnant, and told we're likely to miscarry or give birth to highly deformed babies.  But I don't think that's true and most of these women will have normal kids.  So good luck to you and congrats!  Wish you the energy to go along with that young one on the way!

Lindy
Ladies...

Back on TOP. ;o)

Cheers,
Savanha~
As I seit here and read your comments, I am blown away of how much love,determination and dedication you (young) hearts have for your family.

Savanha- By the way I love that name. You go girl!!! You tell it like it is.

Momof16- You are an insperation, to this generation. I admire you.

And to all the other mommy's and mommy's to be. The numbers on the cake don't mean nothing, its what is in the heart and sole. Take care and Congratulatons to everyone!

Hopefully soon I will be joining you all on the baby train.

Hugz,
Pamela

Well I have never posted before on the web, so here goes.  I am 47 yrs soon to turn 48yrs.  My husband and I have been married 16 yrs and this was our second marriage for both.  I had a son previosly and he had a daughter and son.  Our children when we married were 12,11,8.  I then got pregnant with our daughter at age 32yrs.  From there we had four more daughers with a total 5 daughters. Total today is 8.  I had my last planned pregnancy at age 43yrs.  Well  we were just floored this week when I did a preg. test and results were positive.  I tried to conceive with my youngest for a year.  This time we were watching signs and trying to avoid preg.  I am still in shcok and feelings of guilt that I wish to miscarry.  I have had two miscarriages but so far this preg. feel viable by all signs.  I am probably only 5-6 weeks.  So yes it is very possible to become pregnant naturally after age 47 yrs.  I pray for the graces to come to acceptance of this preg.  Also how does everyone handle all the negative comments from family and friends?  My hsuband will be 72 yrs when this child is 18.  Thank you for listening any positive comments welcomed...
I turned 45 a week ago... gulp..
when I fist found out I was pregnant... I freaked!! The ob made me feel like a bigger one when he saw me with a big pos!! (just the inpresion I got).. He started talking the testing... the extra bloodwork... etc.. the rate of m/c.. the amnio testing... of course I was still in shock and just wanted to craw under a rock.. but now? I think Its wonderful.. and what a Joy?.. I will get to do again!!  I really dont care what others think.. Im just happy I get another oppertunity to fall in love again... now how special is that? oh.. btw..
funny... NOW.. hes saying I have a body of a 20 year old!!!!!!
I say GO FOR IT.

kymoms.... lol.. you cant look at the Big picture like that... will drive you nuts.. I know.. I did that at first...you need to look at day to day and enjoy just that... smile
I can understand why you would be a little frightened.  I have no doubt though that when the shock wears off you will be excited and feel happier about the whole thing.  As for negative comments...it is so common these days to give birth a bit older, and for those that feel the need to comment negatively, I say ignore them...actually I would be more likely to tell them where to go, but thats not for everyone.  You will be great.  I will be just about 40 when I have this baby (my first), and plan to have at least one more, God willing. As so many have said, age is just a number.  And although we defintely have a slight increased risk for defects, its not that much higher, and we can test for them.
Good luck to you!
HI,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) What encouragement! Finally, some positive vibes for us "older" ladies. I have been quite discouraged until today when I read this thread! I have felt foolish and selfish for wanting another baby...until today! You all have givien me the boost for the extra mile I have needed! I will only ttc naturally...it's in God's hands anyway. Do any of you take fertility blend or anything natural? Any good stories to share? Thanks again...you have blessed my heart!

Blessings,
Michelle
I just got a herbal supplement that has black cohosh, agnus castus, wild yam root and red sage, which is suppose to balance my hormones but also says not to take if pregnant ???? (didnt see that bit till got home) so hoping all these things will help me tc naturally.
I am 51 and conceived naturally.  I am 30 weeks.

I am 39 and conceived naturally - 3 times since nov.  I did use egg whites last time to help with ECM, but thats kind of a controversial subject as some believe it can cause problems.  I was going to use preseed next time if I didn't conceive this time.  I know, not as good a story as some of our late 40's and early 50's mom to be's (momof16, I swear, you are my hero!!), but I was still told it could be difficult for me.  Don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say, you know your body best.  Good luck to you.
I found this forum by googling "odds of conceiving at age 47" because I'm in the same situation as you are.  I'm TERRIFIED that I'm pregnant.  I have one daughter, aged 11, and the reason I never had other children is that my pregnancy was a nightmare.  For some stupid reason I never forced my husband to get a vasectomy.

I was hoping to hear that it's impossible to get pregnant at my age, so I'm feeling discouraged.  I rarely miss a period, though my cycles are fairly irregular (anywhere from 19 to 50 days). For women my age who WANT to have a baby, I wish you the best, but for me it would be a disaster.  On top of having to spend 4 months in bed sick, I'm also worried sick about genetic abnormalities.

I can't even take a pregnancy test for another week.   The stress is killing me.
My fiance went bike riding with a 50 year old woman yesterday - she did a triathlon this year and had a baby last year!  She got pregnant at 49.  I loved hearing that and just wanted to pass it along for all women who WANT to have a baby late!  (own eggs/natural pregnancy)
I'm glad to hear all of these women have had pregnancies w/their own eggs - kudos to you and congrats!

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that lots of times women aren't successful in their 40's.  Conception is one thing but carrying the baby to term is another.  The rate of m/c is extremely high due to egg quality.  I could get out links of scientific data to back me up but I know that it's useless.

Of course there are women age 40+ who get pg w/the 'golden' egg but believe me it's not as often as everyone would think.  Sorry to be the downer one here.  
When I told the doc I wanted a baby she was ok about it when my husband was with me. When I next went on my own feeling I had her backing she was very negative with me.  I insisted I wanted a baby so she reluctantly offered advice.  I wont see her without my hubby now.  We have tried for a long time now.  Well a year and a half.  I appraoched a second male doc in order to request chlomid that i had been told about.  Well he just made me feel like a darn fool.  I thought I was back in the headmasters office as a child having not done my homework.  I am on my first bash at chlomid.  All the notices from you older woman have given me sooooooooo much hope.  I am forty five by the way and have never had a child.  I have so much to tell you all but I am worried the world will know who I am! can they find out from this site!  if not I can tell you the problems i have encountered.  They are very private.  I will keep trying for my first child.
good luck everyone
holly - I'm not sure what kind of dr you're seeing, but I highly recommend an re (reproductive endocrinologist) especially due to the fact that you're 45.  I'm sorry your dr made you feel bad.  That's why I suggest seeing the above dr.  They know so much more than a regular ob/gyn about fertility.

My own re had a baby w/her own eggs at 43 so nothing's impossible and she's the first one to say that but she's also a realist.  The ultimate goal is to have a healthy baby & of course a healthy mother as well.

I believe your privacy will be protected on this site.  The ladies here are supportive and give great advice.  I've never seen one who've gone searching for someone's identity.  We're all here to support one another through pregnancy/babyhood.  Btw, I had a healthy baby boy at the age of almost 45 in April (we used donor eggs).

I hope everything works out for you - good luck!
WOW...this post is STILL alive. ;o) I just want to add my portion. Again...anything is possible...just know that much. ;o) My bff was 46 when she became pregnant. It was all natural, she had NO problems & she had her healthy babygirlf at the beautiful age of 47...all Natural w/o any meds(labor lasted 2 hrs.). To me...it's just beautiful. ;o) Now, she is the oldest, but I also have friends fr. 38-43 that have had babies...some natural & some w/RE assistance. This journey is Personal...you have to do what is right for you & go the distance that's best for you. Yes...that's me, total optimist here. ;o) SSBD to ALL.

Cheers~
Savanha~~
I'm 42 (43 next month), and trying to have my first child.  All of you are an inspiration to me :)  Good luck to all!

Hugs,
Shari
More, please!!!
hi  I am 43yrs old and the mother of 3 grown children 19,20 and 21 .. have been in a new relationship for awhile now and we desire to have a child together and have been trying to conceive for 8 months with no luck.....I have irregular menstrual periods.. all my homone tests came back WNL except my thyroid level was a little low.... am on thyroid medication and Provera right now... am also taking herbal vitamins to help with conception.. my left ovary has been hurting a little and my cervix is really sensitive... am hoping to get a good period in 3 to 7 days and then I will be able to test for ovulation. OBGYN says I will need to see a reproductive endocrinologist if I don't get pregnant soon... am so worried that I am not cycling or releasing eggs ..
hunny - I'd see a re sooner than later.  At our age, time is of the essence.  I hope you get your AF soon so you can get on w/ttc.  If you're not ovulating, there's definitely meds to help you start the process - good luck - I hope you get your BFP soon!! - jennifer
Hello Everyone,

I am 43 years old and two weeks late with my period. My husband and I had three "encounters" that were unprotected. Two of these encounters were right after my period ended, so I cannot even imagine that I ovulated yet. Now a bit of history...

I tried for 10 months to get pregnant with my fourth child.  I stopped trying in March 2008.  I have three wonderful children ages 10, 7, and 4. I realized that my life is good the way that it is.

I am terrified to do a test. I am also wondering if I am in periomenopause.  My periods were irregular my entire life until I turned 40.  After age 40, my periods came every 28 days like clockwork. Naturally I am very concerned.  I guess that I am just looking for a little bit of support from older women who can relate to my situation. My husband is okay with whatever happens, so that is good.

Thanks for listening...

Lori
if you are two weeks late a test should be pretty accurate! so if it is negative, you can imagine that your periods are just starting to change with age (i'm 40 so i'm not saying anything negative about your age!).  if it's positive, you need to get to a dr. asap!!!!! it's time to test!
The test came back positive  today.  I am off to post another topic on this....
this is awesome and wonderful news! please update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi!  I just found this site and am very happy to.  I am 47, will be 48 Nov 23rd and am 29 weeks pregnant... due the first week of Nov as I have to have repeat c-section.  I guess this was planned since I haven't taken birth control for 9 years and have one son who is 6 yo.  I have a 26 yo from a previous relationship.  I just thought the lady had already sung and it wasn't possible for us to conceive again.  Finally I told my husband to go get a pregnancy test because either I'm pregnant or going into menopause so either way I have to make a dr appt.  We just looked at each other for the longest time...and had to wait 3 LOOOONG weeks to see a dr and get the first ultrasound.  Our experience this time with doctors has not been as good as when I was 41 and had my son.  This time it seems their attitude is : you deserve what you get (eg Downs Syndrome, miscarriage, etc)  My doc with my son was very supportive, understood the stress and fears of a late pregnancy and actually performed all my ultrasounds; explained what he was looking for and what he was seeing.  This time I'm being treated like I am 25 and pregnant...no different.. they looked at me like I was crazy when I was crying when I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid at 19 weeks.  I know it sounds like we chose the wrong docs...we re on our 2nd OB already and just didn't want to go through one more.  We decided not to have Amniocentisis as it would have 0 effect on whether we continued the pregnancy or not.   With an already high probability of having a miscarriage at my age, I didn't want to increase that by even 2% with the amnio.  I know I'm rambling, but am just thrilled to have the thread to keep up with.  I have had no complications with high blood pressure or gestational diabetes and am just enjoying the journey.  I wish everyone luck
Congrats to you, I just love hearing stories like this.  But your Dr's attitude really ticks me off.  Their job is to help you get through your pregnancy as healthily as possible, not to sit in judgement.  Anyway, congrats to you, and I wish you a healthy remainder of your pregnancy, and a healthy happy baby!!
I agree!! It REALLY bugs me that drs think they have the right to treat people like this..after all, at the end of the day they are providing a service just like any other job that does, and should just get on and do their job! Congrats to you tho!! I am thrilled to hear about your news as we have also been "trying" since reuniting 18mths ago (had a son and lived together 20yrs ago, but split when he was 3) and I`m 48 this month :-( I`m getting close to the point of accepting it aint gonna happen (been using ov tests and preseed) so your story has given me a tiny bit of hope again. THANK YOU!
You never know... the doctor I'm seeing now asked me at my first appt if I wanted my tubes tied during the c-section... I said OMG don't you think we are done after this?  And she said the woman she saw before me....50.    As for this team of doctors, I am rehearsing my talk with these ladies before I leave this practice.  I figured I could take 5-10 minutes out of their weekly staff meeting to offer some advice on how to treat patients.  While I was rehearsing last night, I remembered that the doc I saw when I thought I was miscarring was not mine... when I did see my doctor she never mentioned it.  When I hadn't felt the baby move all day another doc sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored... when I saw the next doc, she never mentioned it and none of them have said anything about the ultrasounds...I go in the tech does them and I leave.  So they are not even looking at the chart, or see that everything turned out ok and so don't mention it?  All they have to do to make women feel they are being taken care of is ask ONE laser specific question or statement... like oh, i see you went in for monitoring...that must have been scary, or I'm so glad you came in and found out you weren't miscarring... that's it!  In that whole 10 minutes I'm in their office I would feel cared about and would tell everyone how great they are.  Or if they want to be extra special they could call and just make sure you are ok....   Instead of :  how are you, do you have any questions, ok we will see you in a few weeks.  One appt she asked me if I had questions and I had 4.  After each one she said OK, we'll see you... and I had to say: I have another question...   Ok, I'm done ranting... I just had all this since I was rehearsing last night.   All of my posts from now on will be positive!  We are thrilled and excited to welcome this baby; although the room isn't even touched yet....developing.
My 6 yo son keeps finding things and in his cutsy voice says "this SOOO cute! this will be perfect for Elisabeth!"  I wish everyone a joyous week and a plus on the pregnancy side!
older woman+poor sperm morphology--what are the chances of a natural pregnancy do you think?

Dear Community,

I am 47 and have been trying to conceive with my husband for the last three years.  (We were married two years ago). My husband is 37, and has very poor sperm morphology--93%of his sperm have abnormal morphology--likely due to an undescended testicle which HE, not his mother, noticed at around age 6 or 7. This problem was corrected, but can still result in infertility.

I have been tested for hormone levels several times over the past three years and my FSH is 4.8, which is really good for my age. We finally decided to try IVF last September and at our first consultation the doctor initially thought I was ten years younger because he looked at my hormone levels before checking my actual birth date.  

Nevertheless, the IVF failed. We had two top grade embryos implanted, but they didn't take. We tried a second IVF several months later and had three high quality embryos to implant. Again no pregnancy. I was devastated, but am still hopeful. We will try IVF again, but I am wondering, hoping that I could conceive naturally. I have this gut feeling that this is how it will work for us. Only 25% of IVF cycles lead to live births no matter what age of the woman, so it is clear IVF does not guarantee pregnancy. (I am not interested in donor eggs. I want my own genes in my child).  So, now to my question.

Has anyone had, or hear about, a similar situation--that is, older women, poor sperm morphology, but natural pregnancy? I know that I am ovulating--I get all the signs--pain, mucous etc. I really believe I could get pregnant naturally if we had better sperm. But we don't. Is there still a chance, do you think? Hoping, praying to hear there is.

Bessie1
What does your dr think based on your hormone levels?
I'm sorry I don't know much about those issues, but I did want to wish you luck!!  I hope all works out for you!
Hi, again,

The doctor was surprised the first IVF didn't work. He was sure it would because everything looked swell-good endometrial lining, nicely formed oocytes, etc., but no luck in the end. The second time round, he was also hopeful because he said the embryos were even better than the last time. Afterwards he did say that he would continue to try with me, but I would have to accept the possibility of things not working. So, at least he is trying given my age. He uses low stimulation because he believes strong protocols are hard on the eggs of older women. Many, many other doctors would not even look at me, so am lucky that he is willing to try some more.

Thanks adgal for the support. And good luck to you as well. What a hard thing to want children but not have them. I am praying as well. Miracles happen.

Bessie
Bessie - you're right.  Most drs won't do IVF w/women in mid to upper 40s.  I was fortunate that my re even considered me a candidate because of my age (43 at the time) although she was pesmistic (sorry for bad sp).

I hope you're successful on your next cycle - SSBD!
Hi All!

I am 47 turning 48 in January 2009, and was trying to get the facts on fertility at my age, and what a surprise!
I am actually NOT trying to get pregnant, but have not had a period since August 3rd (out of the norm for me).
My last period, however was much  heavier than usual and I passed several large clots. There was one in particular that gave me a bit of a scare, as it  was quite large.
I had no symptoms of pregnany prior to my last period.

There are definate hot flashes, however!
So just who am I, teetering on "officially that last change of my life" or still possibly fertile?
I have 3 wonderful children, 17, 11 and 7 making me just about 40 for my youngest.
I must say, to this day my husband and I joke around about our youngest being the milkman's, as we are not quite sure how it happened!
In fact, I might go so far as to say if we both leave our socks on the bed when we go to bed I'll get pregnant!

My husband is 56 years old, and is very active in participating in our 2 younger ones. He runs and takes care of his physical self.

I on the other hand actually have lupus, epilepsy, and a few other ailments that should have rendered me infertile, or so it seems!

SO, akk you out there, getting pregnant is a definate possibility!! Look at my odds: husband is mow 56, I am 47, and we had three natural pregnancies.
Having lupus was a definate complication, but I had a GREAT high risk Dr., who NEVER left me feeling that I could possibly NOT be under the best care there is...

So, a wonderful, caring Dr(s), SEEING other "older" pregnant ladies happily waiting in the waiting room (a BIG plus....)was a big plus for me.

I am now rambling, as I aproached this sight feeling like I might be crazy for always using protection when intimate, looking for something that says I am infertile 100% at 47 so relax, but I guess with the odds being in my favor in the past, we should continue having protected "encounters!" Bad for me, but GREAT for all you ladies who want to have a baby at our age!!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful, sometimes heartfelt posts.

Roroxy47

The day after I posted my previous post, I got my period....and in a big way!!

So, I guess in the future when late with my period I will post here.

Can someone answer this for me? I probably should know this, but, does HAVING a period automatically mean I am ovulating??? I have all my reproductive "parts", but..had heard somewhere having a period does not automatically mean ovulation..which sounds like they may have been referring to someone who has undergone the removal of some or all of the reproductive "parts"...

THAN YOU SO MUCH!!!

Roxy47
Roxy - unfortunately the odds of conceiving at 47 are slim but what's even harder is carrying the pregnancy to term.  Miscarriage happens in 80-85% of the pregnancies conceived past age 45 because of egg quality.

I'm not sure if you're ovulating or not.  Just because you're getting AF doesn't automatically mean you're ovulating.  You could chart your temp or take opt to see if you are.  

The truth about fertility is harsh at our age (I'm 45).  I had to have 'help' conceiving at age 44 w/donor eggs.  I've heard of very few cases of successful pregnancies past 45 - there's always a miracle baby here and there but it's more like winning the lottery.

About birth control - I'd go to your dr and see what he recommends.  

Thank you so much for your post.

I'm guessing the delayed, then very heavy periods may just be that - miscarriages.

So rather than putting  myself through this I will seek effective birth control. I never thought to prevent pregnancy to save myself not only the possibility of pregnancy, but more the possibility of pregnancy losses, which can be very dangerous.

Thank you for opening my eyes as to WHY it is STILL important for effective birth control.

Roxy
Hello Ladies!
I've never posted on any website before so here's my story.  I'm a newlywed at age 47. We just celebrated our 4 month anniversary. My husband has 3 kids ages 22, 21, and 15. It's my first marriage and had even given up on that happening.  The 15 yr old lives with us and is a delight (most of the time). It's my first mommy experience.  My husband is 50 and had the big V some years ago.  He told me the other night that he would like to have a reversal so we could try to have a baby.  I'm a diabetic so that increases the risk but, I'm thrilled at the prospect.  I could certainly use LOTS of advise, encouragement, and prayers.  I've been very encouraged by all of your stories!!  God Bless!
First off, Welcome!!  May I just suggest you start a new thread with your question?  At the top of the page you should click on "Post a Question."  You may find you get more responses that way, as currently you are on the bottom of a very old thread!

That being said, prior to your husband having a reversal, you should check into your own situation.  Some of us in our late 40's do not ovulate regularly, have regular periods, etc.  If I were you, I would definately see an RE or at least an OB right out of the starting gate.  Pregnancy can certainly happen at 47, but often needs a little help.

As for the encouragement and prayers, you are in the right place!!  You will have a whole group of us cheering you on every step of the way!!

All the best to you, and please keep us posted!

Amanda
I am new to this site but I've been searching for answers and hit up on this site. I am 43  soon will be 44 and would like to get pregnant. I had 3 children already but my new husband is younger than me and he has no children. I heard that some sort of herbal medicine can help. Is this true and what's the name of it? or Do you know of anything that can help this effort. I cannot afford this IVF thingy.
It really doesn't matter if your husband limped out. If he got close enough, it could still happen. Sperm still comes out in PRE-ejaculation. It doesn't JUST "take an orgasm."
That goes for LJ too. Who obviously doesn't know that, or they wouldn't have said that you weren't, that you were just going through menopause, as if they know for sure.
Hi there,

You are all posting at the bottom of a very old thread.  You will probably find you get far more responses posting a new thread.  Good luck to you!!
So I'm wondering what the outcome was and hoping everything is okay for you? I'm 46. I have a normal 20-month old son. When I got pregnant with him at 44 , I was told the chance of carrying him to term was just 3-4%. Well, I beat the odds but I do want to mention that anyone older trying or pregnant needs to go to a reproductive specialist because they will immediately give you a prescription for hormone supplements that will give you the best possible chance for keeping that pregnancy. As we age, our hormone levels drop so this "insurance policy" is critical. I should know: 8 months after delivering my son, I learned I was pregnant again but lost the baby (a girl) at 14 weeks. Chromosonal abnormalities are a big issue. Statistically, nearly 100% of eggs at my age are damaged. So while I might be able to get pregnant again (apparently, my body has no problem with that part of it) the odds are even steeper and weighted heavily in favor of Down's, T-18, etc. A better bet would be an egg donor which would dramatically improve the chances of carrying a healthy baby to term. We have not decided to do this but I did want to share my experience. Best of luck to everyone trying. Just  put science in your corner and improve the odds you have :-)  
it is encouraging to hear all of your comments. i am 47, i have 1 son who just turned 9 last week, conceived him naturally. had 2 miscarriages before him, then i had another miscarriage in 04. i would love a sibling for him, i'd love to get pregnant again, with GOD, anything is POSSIBLE. i will keep praying i get pregnant w/ a healthy baby. we are also pursuing adoption. i have regualar periods and i ovulate ea month. all tests show everything is fine; guess the eggs are old. God's plan is best for me, i need to trust in HIS plan and be at peace whatever happens. but sure enough hearing that some of you are pg! at 47! gives me some hope!!!!
I am 43 years old and am pregnant naturally after two miscarriages in the past two years and an IVF attempt - will deliver just before my 44 birthday.  This will be my FIRST child and my husband and I are thrilled.  I was told use donor eggs, blah, blah, blah.  I knew I could get pregnant on my own - I did that without too much difficulty twice in one year and felt lucky, even though they miscarried.  I took it as a sign of som sort.  Resorted to IVF last summer after second miscarriage so they could "screen" the eggs before implanting, which there weren't enough of to risk losing, so they implanted two beautiful eggs that simply didn't implant in the end.  Went back to trying on my own, got pregnant, and I am now 20 weeks.  Did CVS test at 12 weeks, which came back with horrible results - full trisomy 15, not mosaic, complete.  Terrible, disaster, rare, blah, blah.  I was told to terminate immediately, do not wait or think you will make it to an amnio at 16 weeks, the pregancy wasn't meant to be, should have miscarried already, would lose the baby in the late second trimester, could be stillbirth, would be very difficult medically, mentally.....  I refused and opted/insisted to try to wait for Amnio against the "advice" of CVS doctor and my own OBGYN who I had for 20 years.  But growth was normal and heartbeat was still there - I chose taking and hoping for my chance at our baby.  Had the amnio and extensive testing since chromo 15 is an imprinting chromosome with more risks and they also had to do DNA and bloodwork for both of us.  I still didn't back down and said politely but firmly "bring it on, please".  My dear doctor for the past 20 years (who will no longer be my doctor - he doesn't have my back) had no hope and did no research for my pregnancy - he wouldn't even do ultrasound after CVS results to check on the baby.  I googled and found out more than he knew or cared to find out within 30 minutes which ultimately let me to find a great genetic specialist, who completely agreed with my approach, and arranged to get my testing done.  Waited the 7 weeks between the initial CVS results and the full amnio and bloodwork results and honestly was very peaceful throughout - I knew I was doing all I could and should no matter what the outcome.  And guess what - amnio came back perfect, as did the bloodwork, and we are having a wonderful and miraculous baby boy.   To all out there:  Faith and Fortitude - I truly believe these two things are more of the key to all things in life rather than statistics, doctors, and "odds".   I realize I am also very lucky but I still believe nothing is impossible for any of us.
It's wonderful that you were able to conceive using your own eggs - I can't tell you how much you beat the odds but what about us who weren't as successful?  I think even though my baby was conceived via donor eggs that he's a miracle in so many ways!

I'm sorry your dr told you to terminate  but I've been in the same situation as the one you described and it didn't turn out well at all - in fact it was pretty horrible.  Just because your situation turned out the way it did doesn't mean that all pregnancies that are in trouble are going to have the same outcome sad to say.  

That being said, I say be thankful for your baby & congratulations on your upcoming birth - jen

I posted in support of those in their 40's trying to get pregnant or thinking they were pregnant - I was just telling my journey and most recent story for anyone else that could relate to it in any way or that could be encouraged by it.  I too have my own sad prior pregnancy attempts, but that was not the purpose of my post.  In no way did I mean to offend or exclude anyone using donor eggs - that just didn't happen to be part of my story.  I agree that all babies are miracles - no matter how they got here.   My message is to never give up hope and faith.
  Ive just had an interesting experience. Im 47 and have been trying to become pregnant for a year and a half. Ive had all the tests and my fiance is fine too. I have three daughters one 22,18,and 9.Well I was discussing the egg donor thing with my two oldest and a few days later my almost 19 year old offered to be my egg donor. She thought about it and was clear in her decision.It kind of seems strange but then it also seems awesome. We are going to see my doctor to discuss it next week. Good luck to all
lisa,  I got pregnant via donor eggs & one thing that needs to be done in your case - actually in anyone's case - is that the donor needs to have extensive testing done on herself - medical, emotional, and even social.  

I probably would find it hard to accept if one of my daughters (they were 20, 18 and 14 at the time) wanted to donate eggs for my husband's sperm (he's their stepfather) but if that's what you want to do & have peace about it, see what a re has to say about it.  

I hope everything works out good - we delivered a healthy baby boy last April '08 - he's the light & joy of our lives & even though I'm asked sometimes if I'm his grandma, especially when we're w/his sisters, he knows who his mama is and that's all that matters.  Good luck to you - jen
My girlfriend at 46 years old became pregnant. I am 47 so for all of you who say no be careful. Additionally we were using a spermicide. PS my son is beautiful and now I have a vascetomy.
Put GOD in your corner before science or doctors and then and only then will things work out.
omg - am getting a headache and eye strain from reading all the comments yet......i can't look away, i can't stop reading! (ha ha ha). Wow, am so glad am part of this forum, it is such a source of encouragement and comfort.  am 44 and pregnant (naturally) with first child.  all seems to be going well.  it waaaaay too early but if things go smoothly this time around i would like to try for one more soon after before calling it quits.  this was a secret dream i had been harbouring within me but now after reading all the comments i know i am not crazy.  Best wishes to you all!
PS -everyone -  you owe me a pair of eye glasses (lol)
I'm with you Martha47, I am 47 and it seems I conceived just 20 days after my birthday in Septemeber.  I so feel for women my age who need and want to get pregnant or have struggled their whole lives and would be grateful to be in my shoes.    Even though it isn't what I want, I have three helpers at home twin 10 year old girls and a teenager!  I am more concerned that I will have a miscarriage because I had 2 when I was 40 and 42, and after that, like you, I should have DEMANDED vasectomy.  Its the least a husband can do.  In my past I was sick as a dog the first 12 weeks and with the last two that miscarried I wasn't so sick, just like I feel right now, not so sick.  I will be surprised it I don't miscarry, but you never know.

But, as you know kids are great once they come out.  I could hardly take it when other women would say how great they felt when they were pregnant!  I don't think its any fun at all, so I share your panic!  What is your status.  Thanks everyone for letting me share.

By the way, I have DEMANDED vasectomy so that I don't have to go through this anxiety ever again!

shaun47
I just heard of some-one age 41 who is 3 months pregnant with triplets after IVF. Anyone else heard of women that age having triplets as it's hard enough getting one!
It is so true that God is in control, I have 2 boys born after age 40. I was married late in life and I believe that God wanted us to have a family. It was not hard to conceive with them at all. Although I have medical issues from the pregnancies the boys are healthy and well. What God wants is what will happen.
I will be 49 soon and think I could be pregnant.  Is this possible??  I have had only 1 period in 12 months and my FSH levels were quite high (can't recall the exact number) when I saw the OB/GYN in March.  Took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative, but I think I could have taken it too early.  Hard to know when to take it when I haven't had a period since August!  I just have had the characteristic (for me) backache, cramping, and even increased libido that I had with my other two children (ages 14 and 11).
Certainly anything is possible, but I think it's unlikely you are pregnant.  If you are not having a period, typically you are not ovulating.  Wait another week or two then take another test, but I would say it's more likely your symptoms are due to something else.  Good luck to you.
I am 46 yrs old & would love to have a baby. This would be my first. I had a miscarriage a year ago & I am still having a hard time with it.
Every month I wish my period would not come & have been so disappointment when it starts. I went to a Gyno & asked about having a baby & she was very firm with it not being a good idea. I started to cry when she was telling me & when I left I was hysterical & my husband was trying to console me. We went to a fertility specialist today & he pretty much said the same thing but will take a blood test & see how my levels are when I get my period. He did mention egg donors & adoption but not sure if those options are from us?? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know i as grasping at straws
but wouldnt you? Thanks!
I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you to the majority of you who are positive thinkers with God in your corner and the faith to continue ttc.

I am 46 yrs old.  My husband (45 yrs old), who is childless, wants a child so badly.  We started ttc back in March of 2006.  We conceived but had a "chemical" in that July.   We were 5 weeks pg.  Nothing happened for the next 3.5 years.  Then we got pg in November.  We were 6 weeks pg when I started to spot.  At first I spotted old blood, but it changed and we m/c 2 days before Christmas.  

I am waiting to hear the results of my blood work FSH, estridol, and thyroid.  Not that it matters what the results are since we have decided to rest in God and give Him control.

I just wanted to thank you all for the confidence boost.  It renewed my faith.
~*~ baby dust to you all ~*~
Julie
I am 45 yo have been trying to conceive for a year and a half.  I had a tubal reversal then.  Been to an RE, did iui two times without success.  everything looks good but it doesn't happen.  I'm back to ttc naturally.  My husband is younger and has no children.  I have three  ages 19, 20 and 24.  I am healthy and the only thing the RE came up with is that my cervical mucous is thick or not enough?  but yet the first time after a postcoidal test he said my CF looked perfect.  I really have had nothing but negative vibes, i feel like the doctors and their staff look at you like your a freak.  They are very negative when it comes to a women  over 40 trying to conceive!  I don't even want their help anymore  cuz they make me feel so bad.  I'm just gonna trust God and stay intune with my own self.  If its meant to happen it will.  I really enjoyed reading about all you ladies conceiving over 40! ly
Hi to all

I have terrible polycystic ovarian syndrome and it took me years of treatment, tears and frustration before I conceived my son nearly 11 years ago, which I eventually achieved by taking Metformin. Since I had him my periods have been extremely regular.

I didn't conceive again until I was 44, it was totally unexpected, but I was so thrilled when I came to terms with it. I would love a sibling for my son.  I unfortunately miscarried at 9 weeks.

I then fell pregnant again in March last year with twins who were due on my birthday, however I lost them too. I was devastated.

I couldn't believe the attitude of the doctors, telling me I was irresponsible to fall pregnant at my age. How dare they!! I reminded them that they were there to provide a service and not to pass judgement on me.

It seens to me that my fertility has increased as I've got older, if that is possible. Maybe it's my body's last ditch attempt before menopause?

I'm now 47 and the past week have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms again, however it is too early to test. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Hmmm i'm 47 and despite regular cycle every 28 days I last had one on 23 Dec 2010.  I took two urine tests at 4 weeks and were neg, then went for a blood test at 6 weeks and negative.  Now at just over 9 weeks and still nothing.  At 2 - 3 weeks i had terrible nausea but that has all but disappeared.

My doc has said that as my blood test isnegative that I can't be pregnant and it's my age....but to do a urine test in 2 weeks time...she didn't say why!  

I'm definitely tearful this week and feel bloating and gas for some reason.....i've also a dull ache and back ache...all signs but i'm scared to get my hopes up given what my doc has said.

Do you think I may be pregnant?  We have been trying for a year now...just feel if i go back to doc they will just say yeah yeah what do you expect at 47!

Ziggy
Hi all,

It's so great to hear all your stories of 40 plus pregnancies. I have 2 children aged 3 and 8 and would LOVE another one. I'm nearly 42 and my hubby told me we could start trying for our 3rd last year....only to change his mind after a couple of months trying - I was and am devastated. I know I am blessed to have my 2 girls...just always thought we'd have 3 and I feel like my 3rd child is there waiting to come to me!!  I can't change his mind, I suppose I just have to change mine. Great to hear all your stories of late 40's pregnancies - gives me some hope (and you never know, time to change his mind!!!).
I had my first baby at 25, my second at 29, my third at 33, my forth at 36 my fifth at 38, my sixth at 41, my seventh at 43 and my 8th at 45 almost 46.  I couldn't believe the last two.  They were shockers to me.  Now I am 47 and having very regular periods but not regular ovulation.  I ovulated a week ago unexpectedly and had relations two days before.  I went to doc last week and he told me my uterus was slightly expanded but normally for one with 7 c-sections.  I just took my blood sugar like I do once in a while and it was 176.  It is only that high when I'm preg.  I'll know for sure tomorrow in the am.  I get gestational diabetes with all of them.  When my am blood sugar is in the 130's it is a sure indication.  However, I SURELY don't think I can handle a 9th child. I know that my dh who turns 50 this year can't.  I imagine even if I did  conceive, chances of carrying full term is very low.  I miscarried at 37yrs, 39yrs, and 4yrs, but I found my self preg. 3 months later just as the doctor predicted.  Who knows, but I'm trusting God with my life and I'm His servant offering my body as my spiritual act of worship.
I just want to say to anyone who is over 40 and trying for a baby never give up hope. I am 48yrs old. 49 in Sept.  I have a 12 yr old and a 13yr old. Re married and within 3 months was pregnant. Had no problems and baby was born when i was 47. Still breastfeeding and possibly pregnant again now.
Hi, I had my first child at 44 - it was a tough pregnancy and I had a beautiful, healthy, but high needs little girl.  For the last two years I've gone back and forth about whether to try again.  I am really grieving right now that I just didn't go for it right away after I had her at 44.  My doctor advised me to try again in six months.  I was so overwhelmed w/ work and a new husband and the new baby, that I couldn't even imagine it. (also, I'm still the main support financially in the house which is hard).  I had not been around babies before then and it wasn't until I signed her up for the Little gym and saw all these other moms coming in w/ their 18 month- 2 year olds that were pregnant or just had little ones.  Then it clicked, hey, I see that it's 'not good to be alone', my little girl didn't mind until now, she's 3  and 1/2 and I can really see the pain in her little heart of not having siblings around.  I'm one of seven, so it was hard for me to really understand this.  Sounds dumb, but it took me a while to tune in.  Then I was REALLY scared to go through everything.  I got pregnant at 43, had a miscairrage, got pregnant again a few months later and said, I can't go through that again.  I went to a specialist and they gave me extra progesterone only.  That's all I took for 3 months and I was fine.  The pregancy was a healthy one, but really hard in terms of nausea and the last three months of pain in my legs and pelvic.  It was hard.  I was having trouble understanding how I could take care of a 2 year old and go through that as well.  I had 35 doctors or test appts during my pegnancy due to my age (I did not do any Down tests).  Anyway, I tried again last summer (at 46 years) and we didn't get pregnant. But I could have tried harder.  I heard you should have intercourse for 5 days, a few days leading up to ovulation and a few days after.  When I turned 47 I gave myself an arbitrary boundary and said that's it.  Now, I wish I had tried throughout the year.  I'm almost 48 and still want to try, but scared.  I don't think I could handle a special needs baby and at my age I think the odds are 1 in 16 if you believe those odds.  Anyway, here's my advice, if you are in your 40's and pregnant - get to a fertility specialist right away just for the first 3 months.   You may need extra progesterone which is a big cause of miscarriage in over 40 moms.  It's natural and very simple to take.  Once 3 months comes, the placenta makes it's own progesterone and you don't need it anymore.  I hope that helps.
I'm so sorry to sound disrespectful but I came up on this board when I was looking for statistics on natural pregnancy because of the Travolta's announcement.  I hear stories of trying to get pregnant, wondering if its possible, etc. but I don't hear any discussion of whether or not this is a morally responsible thing to do.

In the first place there are so many children out there in desperate need of homes.  If you want a child to enrich your life why not adopt one?

Secondly, if you are having a baby at 50 years old that means that you will be 68 when your child graduates high school.  With the average female life expectancy at around 74 you will most likely die before your child graduates from college.  Not to mention the fact that you won't have the physical energy or stamina to keep up with them until that point.

I'm 25 years old and my mother is 56.  For my generation she was considered an older mother.  Despite this she was able to be there for me in whatever capacity I needed.  As I embark on having my own family I am forever grateful that she will be there with guidance, support and love for my husband and I as well as her grandchildren.  Can any of you say the same thing?

I always assumed motherhood was a selfless act of caring for a life to the best of your ability.  However the only thing I'm hearing on your discussion board is about what you want, what you deserve, and how no one can tell you differently.  This saddens me for the children you may bring into this world.
Your post is so full of ignorant statements that I just have to respond.  First of all, most actuarial tables calculate the average life expectancy of a woman in the US to be well over 80.  A woman's life expectancy actually goes up as she ages, as it is assumed she has avoided a number of age-related diseases.  In other words, a woman of 80 will be assumed to live to an older age than a woman of 25.  Plus, it is obvious that heredity and lifestyle are key factors in how long anyone will live, as well as their quality of life as they age.  If not, insurance companies would offer the same rates to everyone based on age alone, rather than looking into the specifics of a person's health history, family history, and lifestyle.

Second, you can't make any assumptions that either you or your mother will be there for your children as they grow, or that older mothers won't have, in your words, the "physical energy or stamina" to keep up with their children.  I had a friend who died of pre-eclampsia while pregnant at the age of 22.  Similarly, I recently took a class with pregnant women who are far younger than I am, and they are having a variety of health problems I'm not having in my current pregnancy.  Women over 40 who want to undergo fertility treatments have to pass several rigorous medical tests, so they clearly are in better health than the average population.

Third, you obviously don't know anything about adoption, so I challenge you to go to an adoption agency and find out how many adoption options you yourself would have should you find you can't conceive and/or carry a baby.  There are age requirements (and you would not qualify for many programs because you are too young), income requirements, health requirements, net worth requirements, educational requirements, health requirements, background checks to pass, etc.  And even if you can meet all of these requirements, there are very few children legally available to adopt, and each adoption attempt will cost a lot of money in non-refundable fees.  (I speak from experience on this one, as we met all possible requirements and spent 3 years and $25,000 trying unsuccessfully to adopt.)  I would also ask you the same question you have asked older women:  "If you want a child to enrich your life, why not adopt one?"  If you don't plan on pursuing adoption yourself, you have no right to judge other women's choices.

Finally, the only criterion you mention for being a good mother is age.  As one raised by older parents, I can tell you firsthand that there are many, many factors that go into good parenting, and age is relatively insignificant.  All things being equal, yes, it's probably best to be younger rather than older.  However, if you think age alone will make you a good mother, then I too am saddened for the children you may bring into the world.  I hope you will spend some years maturing and educating yourself before you take on the responsibility of a child.
Having a baby and choosing when to do so is a highly personal decision.  I personally chose to wait until a bit later then the norm (my son was born just before my 41st birthday) and I have absolutely no regrets about doing so.  For me, it was the best time to have a child.  I am more patient, more responsible and more stable financially and emotionally.  I do not believe that age is the best criteria to use when choosing to have a child.  I have seen excellent mothers that were very young, as well as excellent mothers that are much older.  

I wish you success in your attempt to start a family, but would respectfully ask that you keep your judgemental opinions off of this particular forum.  You may not wish to sound disrespectful, but I can assure you, that is how you are coming across.  You choose to have your child when it is best for you, and we shall do the same.  
I also just wanted to add that my child was naturally conceived, I had no intervention whatsoever.  I am hoping you are not suggesting I should have terminated due to the fact that I was 40 when I became pregnant with him.  He is the biggest blessing I have ever been given, and I cherish him with all my heart.  And if I am fortunate enough to be given another, that too will be more welcome then you could possibly imagine.  I will never take him or another child for granted.  
I can't believe I am commenting on this again, but I feel the need to help you understand something about the ladies on this forum.  

We fall under many different "catagories".  Some found themselves unexpectedly pregnant in their late 30s/40's.  Others (such as myself) have conceived easily, yet had trouble carrying.  Others have moved heaven and earth to conceive...either by trying every month for what seems like an eternity, or by undergoing uncomfortable and expensive procedures to have them.  I promise you that many would give all that they have and then some to have a baby.  We have women here who have experienced horrible, traumatic loss (I hope you never have to experience this).  The end result is the same.  They all cherish their babies.  When you want something so badly and it does not come easily, I think you appreciate it just a little more.  When you know what its' like to lose someone you love so much, you never take anything for granted.  So perhaps we are older to have children, but I promise you, these children are loved beyond anyone's imagination and are appreciated and cherished.  I am not saying that those younger who had no challenges don't love their children equally, but I do think that when you have had to work hard for what you want so badly, or know what it's like to loose that which you love more then life itself, there is a difference.  So no, it is not morally wrong.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  
Hi there all,
Have read quite alot of feeds here.  I am 47 - 48 in sept and have regular periods.  Well Im in a bit of a bind and am taking a pregnancy test tomorrow as I am 2 weeks late and have been experiencing nausea for the last 2 weeks and feeling drained.   The trouble is dh had a vasectomy 24 years ago (never had sperm test afterwards) and I wonder if maybe I might be pregnant.   I have googled today "Vasectomy reversal naturally) and found that it can happen , but odds are very very low.   I can assure you all that I have not been with anyone else and really am wondering if something has happened, and I have fallen pregnant.    I have 4 adult children and definitely know the symptoms of pregnancy.    Oh dear I know I will not sleep tonight with this all up in the air.   If this test comes back positive I'm certainly sending dh off for a test lol
I'm torturing myself on this forum.  I just want to say that I'm so happy for everyone who was able to conceive and beat the odds.

Sadly I have no hope - I never seem to get this kind of luck.  I'm in such a horrible situation. I'm 41 years old, my husband is 38.  We've been married for 6 years now.  Started trying to conceive about 2 years after our marriage with no luck.  I thought it was me but it turned out to be him.  His sperm count and morphology was very low - all his parts checked out okay and he has an identical twin brother who's well onto his second child.  Our doctor told us to "give up" and adopt.  

I dosed my husband with vitamins and other natural supplements and his sperm quality did get better but still not enough (he's not as watery as he was before) - we would have to go with ICSI if we did try.  I have read where there were technical exceptions and women have gone on to give birth despite their husbands low sperm and morphology - but that kind of luck always alludes me - I always read about it happening to other people.   Despite all this I still plan our BD's (baby dances) near the time of my ovulation, unbeknownst to my husband - I don't want this to stress us out.  you just never know.  

The other problem is that I feel stuck.  We live Asia and our health insurance doesn't cover infertility so there is just absolutely nothing we can do either way and time is ticking and even if we did have the money, I'm so skeptical about going back to the RE I saw who gave us a death sentence - he was so negative and I'm not sure he'd even help us even if we did have the money because of my age (I don't know) - I know other people would suggest I see someone else but this hospital is the BEST when it comes to fertility/infertility.

My cycle is usually 28/29 days on the dot every since I can remember.  I ovulate like clock work.  Oddly enough a week after my period (June 5, 2010) I felt mid month cramps and figured I was ovulating early...something in the back of my mind told me that my period would come early but then I forgot all about it and then I falsely felt hope because I start spotting two days ago (June 24), I was hoping this was implantation bleeding and then yesterday, AF came a week early (June 25) - I had forgotten that I ovulated early - more false hope.  But then my BBT is still high.   And now I must face the fact now my usual normal cycle which is clockwork is about to alter  because of my age and that just makes me realize what little time is left.

The only hope I have is to pray for a miracle and considering my situation, I just don't see one every happening to me.  I just seem to always have bad luck.  

Anyhow, I hope I'm not bringing anyone down.  If I am, I'm sorry but this is JUST me.  I wish everyone else the best of luck.

My good friend was misdiagnosed with unexplained infertility a the age of 42, it turned out that she had scarring on her ovaries and which prevented the egg from being released and she kept at it afterwords with IVF and delivered healthy twin girls at the age of 47 last April.  Thank goodness she got a second and third opinion.

Good luck and congratulations to everyone.  I just needed to open up and release a bit. I keep a smiling face on all the time and I never break down but this has helped.

Just to let everyone know I had my daughter 21 months ago (my 3rd child) at home in the water at 46 years of age..she is a beauty....healthy, robust and happy....dont let anyone play the ageist card..believe in yourself and let the mystery unfold....stay hwalthy body, mind and Spirit to increase chances..
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
im 47 and have three children 29 ,16, 7 and have been having regular periods untill now im 1 week late with a negative pregnancy test ........ ill wait one more week and take another test if its still negative ill have to go and see the doc for his advice ..... ill keep you all posted on my out come alll finger crossed as it could be possible as we use no birth control and even though i wasnt really trying for another child we would both be more than  happy if we are pregnant !!!!!!!!!!
I am now 48 years old, I have one daughter who is 30 and ten sons who are 29, 27 26,24.22,19,16.11,7.1. The last one as you can see was born when I was 47. He was a surprise. I recently have not had my period for over 6 weeks and  took 2 home pregnancy tests. It seems to me that I still could be pregnant and should not get the depo shot they keep trying to shove on me. I would really like to have a another girl. But I'm not trying to get pregnant but if I do I pray that it is a girl.
Why does some people always seem to think they that they have the right to tell other people how to live.
Hi just see this site im 47 and 10weeks pregnant i have 4 children already youngest is 20 i also have 3 granchildren. My husband passed away 11yrs ago and im now with someone else who has no children of his own and thought he was fireing blanks but seems like he wasnt lol im over the moon so is he and for all the neg comments everyone is different no prenancy is the same whether your in your 20s or 40s good luck to all the soon to be mums and the ones that are trying x
I just wanted to share, my dear friend just told me and her family that she is 3 months pregnant at 49, she just turned 49 in june... they had been doing injections and pills to boost hormone levels for the past 6 months... and  she is pregnant with twins...

they didn't do ivf... so the impossible is possible...
ithought that at our age it was an impossibility without ivf or donor eggs...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well for her...

any info on anyone else that has had a child at 49?
Hi all...

This thread is very old now.  I see many are posting questions on to the bottom of it.  You will find you get far more responses if you start a new thread for each question.  Please ask me or another member if you are unsure how to do this.  Welcome and good luck!!
I just turned 47 this March and always had regular periods. I havent had a period since july. It is now August. I have taken 2 preg. test and they were neg. I want to have a baby. I am constantly being told that I am in menopause. But I have all the symptoms of being pregnant. I dont feel like I m too old and show hang up my dreams.  I am having a hard time believing that I just woke up in July to full blown menopause, not without any warning. Is it possible. This is a stage in my life that I am not ready for. I want ot have 2 more children. I have 7 children ranging from 30 to 7. Can I be with child even though the test is neg
Hi, I am a 50 year old lady with a new partner, trying to become pregnant again.  I already have 3 children from my first marriage.  However, my periods have recently started playing up and I am having hot flushes during the day.  My FSH is also elevated but I would dearly love to conceive and give my childless partner a baby.  Help!!!!
I am a 46 year old single mum with a gorgeous and perfect 15 month old daughter.  She was concieved through IVF and my own eggs after 6 attempts.  I was given a 11% chance of getting pregnant through IVF when I started trying at 42. I did lots of things to help my eggs be healthy prior to pregnancy using the Foreesight principles as suggested in the book " Better bodies, better babies" by Francessca Naish.  Im sure this is why I managed to get a good egg.  

I turned 45 6 weeks after she was born and had a perfect pregnancy with no extra monitoring or intervention apart from hormone patches and gel for the first 13 weeks and asprin until 36 weeks.  I chose to have an amnio which showed normal results.

She is my first child.  Go for it if you are older.  Its so wonderful to be a mum at last,   It doesnt matter how old you are.   If you want a child just do it.  Good luck to you all.
Yuo go girl!!! ...be fruitful and multiply. What a blessing!
I´m also 47 and married the man of my dreams. I have a 27year old son from my first marriage and I would love to give my husband a child. He has no children. I´m a week late and hoping and praying that I can give my husband the good news if I am. It is possible to get pregnant after 45.  
This is the most amazing post I've ever seen!!!  I had to show my husband (he told me to make something up and say I'm 95 and pregnant with my first baby:).  I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their amazing stories.  And best of luck to all women who are ttc in their 40s!  

(Oh, and I know her post was back in May, but to the 25-year-old who said older women don't deserve women, get off this forum!:)  Seriously, my parents were young (23 and 25) when they had me and even they would even admit that my husband and I (in our early 40s) are better parents because of where we are in our lives...we've lived our lives, had our careers, and spent so long wanting a child that we're more appreciative as well...all has made us completely devoted, patient, loving, and appreciative parents any child could ask for!
My grandmother's mother had her last child at 52, way back in the day when no fertility treatments were available.  It's family folklore, but nice to know that YES it can happen.

I'm 48 and divorced, hoping that history repeats itself.  I have one adult son and have wanted a second child for YEARS but never had the nerve due to an acriomonious divorce and child custody battles for many years.  Such a shame, as God only knows if it's too late now but it's exciting to look into the possibility.  I just bought one of those fertility tests but have to wait a month, until my next period...waaah, time is short, I hate to wait that extra, precious month.

Best of luck to all older women who wish to conceive.  Wish some lucky ones would come here and talk about their success stories.
Your posts are so encouraging.  I turned 50 in April and my husband and I do not have any children.  We have been married 19 years  My former ob/gyn told me years ago that I most likely have endometriosis and a retroverted uterus that is stuck in a backward tipped position.  I am a little frustrated since he did not investigate this further even when I tried to open some dialogue with him about not having any children.  I was just devastated when I tried to get my medical records from his office only to be told they had shredded them.  Part of the reason was because I did not have a baby.  My current ob/gyn (who is absolutely wonderful) started treating me in July for menopausal symptoms.  He made a statement to me that he probably did not think would be so meaningful to me - - He said that it is possible that my ovaries could start working again and I could get pregnant, but not probable.  That really hit me pretty hard.  When I saw him about a week and a half ago I mentioned his statement he had made.  He gave me some alternatives and statistics.  I am going in about a week to see a fertility specialist to find out if I have any eggs left.  I really would want to conceive naturally if it is possible.  My husband and I have set our limits as to how far we will go to have a child.  I know that anything is possible with technology. I am so glad to hear there are more women out there who are like me.  I have been thinking about what the fertility specialist might say to me when he sees that I am 50.  I guess I have been blessed that I do not feel 50 and many people actually think I am in my 30s.
I'm 45 and had my fourth baby 2 months ago. I am so scared of getting pregnant again. I had a difficult pregnancy filled with panic attacks due to anxiety and illnesses. I had the flu 3 times and cold 5. I am always getting sick. Thank God my pregnancy is over. I was wondering what kind of birth control is best. I never want to be pregnant again. On a good note, my daughter is perfect at least in my eyes. She was worth it but I don't know how I got through it. Physically I'm exhausted.
I want to tell the world. I am 49 /50 in a couple of weeks and pregnant with my tenth baby. ALL NATURAL
This is SUCH an encouraging post! I never thought at 47 and after four children I'd be saying I wanted another. But, here I am and I'm SO wanting to be pregnant that I'd give my right arm for it. I've met the man of my dreams, my soul mate. I am 7 years older than he is, but we BOTH would like to have this very much. I've been doing my charting and testing and still have very regular periods and ovulate like clockwork.  We've really only begun to try and with such positive comments and results as what I've read on this post, I find my spirits and hopes lifted.

Thank you, ladies, for the encouragement and positive boost I needed. :)
Me and my husband are trying to have a baby hopeful twin baby girls this time around ,I have already had 3 miscarriage and we have two boys age 13 and 16.  With all 3 miscarriage we was very suprises and I had lost a lots of weight,the last one we actually seen the heart beat that was in March 15,2010. But I lost it. We was so hoping for a little girl. Now we actually want to have a little baby,well a little baby girl or twin baby girls whatever the sex will be I will be happy to just have a little health baby at our age. I feel like Sara from the bible. And this baby will baby will be a miracles. If we can have one or two LOL
I am 50, mother of 5 and woke up nauseous this morning, three days late.  Hoping & praying for another chance at motherhood.  This is such a cheery thread I had to add my voice in hopes of getting some precious baby dust!

Just found this forum and feel so much better now :). I am 46, nearly 47, have a son who is 8 and an absolute angel, would love so much to give him a brother or sister. We have tried a lot after I was 42, then from 44 on haven't really as I thought it was too late plus was worried about my irregular periods. Now, it seems that there is nothing wrong with my body besides that I have fibroids and a hysterectomie was suggested (becaause of abnormal bleeding). Now I am going to a reflexologist, trying to relax and am feeling ok now. I don't agree to have the hysterectomie as I still want to TTC! We have started again and I just pray it will work!
I had fibroids when I conceived for the first time at the age of 37 (with no problems at all), now I am scared that the age may play a role.
Are there any ladies here who conceived and had a baby after 40, with fibroids?
I have 2 fibroids that were discovered a few years ago.  My OB opted to leave them alone as she didn't feel they were causing any problems.  I had my son, naturally conceived, one week before my 41st birthday.  He is healthy as a horse (well, this month has been rough..lol, but usually).  I am going to be 42 this weekend, and we are currently trying for no. 2.  With fibroids I believe much depends on the location of them, as well as the size.  I would get it checked out, but worse case scenario, if they need to be removed, I don't think a hysterectomy is required.  I think usually they can just remove the fibroids leaving everything else intact.  Good luck to you.
My great-grandma had her first baby at 17 and her last at 47! I wonder, back then, was it the good food, free of chemicals? Or maybe it's totally possible! I have hope for myself at 39 knowing that I am her great-granddaughter. My grandma didn't reach menopasue until mid-50's...maybe that is a good sign? I don't know

I am wondering..anyone out there know that if you are pregnant, does that mean that your eggs are "saved" for nine months while they are not being expelled during menstruation? My great-grandma spent about 9 years of her life pregnant, with 12 babies born. I wonder if that helped her eggs. But, maybe egg quality is just a factor of age alone. I don't know...

I am curious too about myself. I have been reading  that high estradiol numbers (mine is 100) and high FSH (mine is 10.7 ) mean you are entering permimenopasue. Is this true? Or is it just the medical fear-inducing talk out there. What are the signs of permimenopause? I have lots of mood swings like irritability and crying, confusion too,  a week before my period, but maybe that is normal. Anyway, thanks for this great support girls! Good luck. I hope you are pregnant!
I had my daughters at the age of 24 and 25. I then had my son at the age of 40 and the last pregnancy was by far the easier, no complications at all and he was 10lb, had him at home no pain relief.Period now a week late at age 47 and going to do a test.Its not just about age, even though I appreciate the difficulty in actually getting pregnant when older but its about confidence and love of life and positivity and the fact that its a beautiful thing at any age and an absolute joy and a privilige to be older parents.
I am 45 and my husband and i were not trying to conceive.  We went to FL and when we came back i realized I was late.  I didnt give it much thought although i am never really late - i kinda thought maybe i was starting menopause or something.  I took an at home test on my lunch hour with my husband on the phone ... and it came back pos.  Oh my gosh. Wow!  I have been pregnant 3x in the past (the last time was back in 1999), all of the pregnancies ended in miscarriages - blighted ovums.   We made an appt with my ob-gyn to confirm with a bloodtest, yes i am pregnant.  So yes it is possible to conceive naturally at 45.  :)  We had an ultrasound last week and for the first time ever ... i saw a heartbeat!!  We have another US on Mar 3rd.  Can't wait.  My husband has 2 boys from a first marriage, 21 and 14.  I would love to give him a little girl but i will take anything - i just want the baby to be healthy.  The doc already gave us the "facts" about conceiving at my age.  I know you dont know me, but as you read this ... if you would just say a quick prayer ...  that i can carry this baby all the way.  :)  
47 years old and 12 days late for my period. I'm always like clockwork, never late! I'm a mother of a 30yr old 28, and 7 yr old, Husband and I are still very sexually active, although I'm very careful to avoid ovulation days. I took 2 at home test both negative. Wondering if this is the start of menopause??? although I don't have hot flashes? I do have tender breast but thats not unusual for me. Never had nausea with any of my preg.
Are you sure they didn't suggest a hysterscopy to remove the fibroids? I've had this done twice under general anesthesia as I also have fibroids. I'm now 16 weeks pregnant after 5 miscarriages.
50 and pregnant.  Stunned.  There I was in the drug store buying hair dye and a ept.
Wow! :) congrats :) Please start a new thread when you can...

ps you may want to wait until after first trimester to use the hair dye. My OB says to not to :)
Hello have read most tips and comments on this forum, there ARE alot of encouraging, positive outcomes! I had my son naturally at 39 and we have been trying for a sibling since he was 6 months old, last year we tried ivf, 3 times, all failed-1st time did take but I miscarried at 6 weeks.I dont produce many eggs, then only 1-2 fertilize and not great cell division. Has ANYONE got any useful advice about improving egg quality and quantity, its getting that one good egg to stick, I am almost 42 now and we are contemplating one more ivf, our 4th. It will be our last as we have no more savings, has cost over £15000 so far . we have been trying again naturally since september and if we go for another ivf, it will be june this year as I approach 42 years.Any comments appreciated and my best wishes to all you ladies trying to have your babies, melissaxx  
I just want to throw my 2 cents' worth in here .. I'm 47 and had my second child (girl) last October.  She will, in fact, be 6 months old tomorrow.  I had my first child (boy) at the age of 43.  There was one miscarriage between the two, but they were both planned and they both came out perfectly fine.  With my daughter, my OB could not find a heartbeat until I was 8 weeks along, and had told me to expect another miscarriage.  All he and the u/s tech saw on prior sonograms was "debris" in the yolk sac.  Talk about a shock when they found the heartbeat .. I was about ready to schedule a D & C because they had all but convinced me the pregnancy was not viable.

I am so thankful and blessed to have kids at this age, but it is hard to not be able to "relate" to my peers, who have grown kids and some even have grandkids!  There are days when I think I am too old for this, but it is what God gave me and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Blessings to all of you "late in life" mommies! :-)
Bethany
I have read most of the posts.  I am 44 and wondering if I am pregnant!  The doctor told me I have a less than 4% chance a month of getting pregnant on my own without any meds.  I havent had a period since March 20th, have been lightheaded and dizzy, and nausea.  Those were my only symptoms until yesterday when my vaginal area became sore.  Are these symptoms of pregnancy or perimenopause?  I have Dr. Appt this Friday?
I am glad to hear that some women are pregnant at this age. Im trying at the age of 43..I hope its going to happen.
My Dad was born in the year 1930 . His Mom was 47 yrs old. Obviously no medical help available at that time. It is so funny! That with todays technological advances we have so regressed. Days gone by ... people had sex. If they became pregnant they simply had the baby. It was that easy. Today people over analyze everything and over think way too much!!! very rarely are children unhealthy. Unhealthy babies are born just as commonly to younger parents as they are to older parents. Healthy babies ... are the same. Just take your vitamins, have minimal stress, be positive and love you and the baby growing in your belly!!

I am 51 years old and have many of the signs of pregnancy, nausea, fatigue, nipple tenderness and swelling.  I think I have been ovulating while experiencing erratic periods.
This is a surprise since I assumed that I could not get pregnant since so few women after 50 get pregnant naturally.  My partner and I are not married and I know the exact evening we had intercourse.  I took the pregnancy test 26 days later. It was negative. I understand that sometimes it may take a week or 2 more before the test is positive.  
I live with and take care of my 84 year old mother. I can't wrap my mind around this conceptually.  I'm used to thinking of myself as old or at least no longer young.
everything she said is true! Sarah and Abraham were in their 90's ans 80's and God granted them Isaac.  Don't lose faith...but you must ask GOD BELIEVING that it will be done!  I was worry about trying at 46, turning 47 in july...but I think I might join all of you and trust in God to take control of the situation and make it to what HE thinks is best for me.  Happy trying ladies...don't give up! ever!...is only late when you no longer breath! :) take care and good luck and blessings to all! :)
I am 45 and gave birth to my beautiful healthy daughter and I conceived with in unmedicated IUI with my own eggs and using an ovulation stick.  I had been trying for 9 years and had countless miscarriages! My doctors had all told me to give up and one even told me I had a "chance in hell" to have a baby.  I refused to give up and I am soooo happy now.  Good luck ladies and listen to yourselves! Have faith in yourself!
I am 46 yrs old. My husband is 44 we both would like to have children together we been trying to concieve (conceive) and be pregnant for over a year now and considering the help of a fertility doctor.

My husband and I are first true loves, we both are in our second marriage we both had 2 children each in our previous marriage thats a total of 4. I had 2 sons in my previous marriage who are now adults ages 26 and 22. My husband had 1 son and 1 daughter late in his previous marriage who are now ages 11 and 9 years old.

I have read all the positives and negatives but I have faith and I refuse to give up my hopes nad dreams of having a baby. What can anyone here advise us to do? besides what we are considering. ??

Thank you for your time

NYC

hi im 48 years old and i dont know if im going through the change or if im pregnant i dont know what to think anymore i never went through the change so i dont know what to expect i think im to old to have a baby but i dont know anymore good luck on everything
I am 47,and trying to conceive, naturally. I had my son at 42.. got pregnant naturally. So fingers crossed my husband and I can do it again... loved reading your posts ladies.
I am 47 and just lost my latest baby at 8w3d. I had two pregnancies last eyar as well, both times were twins. First at 9wks and second at 8wks but didn't m/c til 10wks. I am still hopig for one last living child and found this site with google.
Well kinda freaked single 50 and took a pregnancy test I am 18 days late, lol it came out positive, took it twice. This so wasn't planned, only have had 2 sexual encounters so far, we hardly know each other. it's kinda scary, he is 37 but we look the same age. i have a 28 year old, a 24,year old and a 20 year old, i also have a 9 year old that was conceived just once without a condom at the age of 40. i so thought i could not get pregnant anymore, as before i got pregnant i missed a period but had no sex, so knew I could not be pregnant. I had this sexual encounter straight after when i was still awaiting my period. it's confused me not to mention the dad. Anyway if this helps others i have been a vegetarian for 18 years, and i have never had a miscarriage, only ever been pregnant 4 times and four healthy kids. so cant really abort it would not be fair to the child, even if i do bring the child up alone, they are little miracles after all. And I am divorced, I have been divorced since my 9 year old was 6 months old, so lol raised him alone. So that is my life.
And it is wonderful to read such a positive thread, hope you all get pregnant and enjoy your babies, they are a gift no matter how they happen to be made.
Roxy47, You *rock* and are my inspiration as I've also had lupus, seizures etc and your positive attitude re these is very encouraging {hug} After 3 much older children from first marriage, my 4th pregnancy was at age 43.. I had not yet been dx'd at that time and I'm glad in a way as I approached it as another normal pregnancy, carrying her to term--despite then unknown risk of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome eg (which has extremely high rate of miscarriage). In hindsight I'm glad it wasn't treated as a medicalized event. I now require medications though but even at age 50 I assure everyone age itself is still the *least* of my worries, and a distant 3rd to medications and medical issues--both of which clearly pose the greater risks and eclipse the age factor.... I wish HEALTH, not age, was more the focus of this discussion.
@RunningL8 What *YOU* said lol
You are most encouraging with your posts of successful pregnancies with healthy children after age 47. Love you all and best of health to you and your loved ones! XOXOXOXO!
I am 47 and just became a grandma 4 days ago! My maternal cup is overflowing and reading these posts brings on torrents of tears. My children are 10, 16 and 19. I had a much wanted-pregnancy at age 42 that ended in miscarriage and a blighted ovum at 45. I am a person who has very few regrets in life, but my big regret is that miscarriage at 42. I feel a loss that will never heal. My mother had miscarriages but acted like they were no big deal. I think it's harder when you are at the end of your fertile years -- there is no chance to heal with the birth of another baby. I am entranced by my new grandson, yet it brings up all those feelings of unfulfilled fertility. I think I may have stopped ovulating 6 months ago -- no more mid cycle cramping or mucus. I still have been getting my period every 28 days, but this month I am late. I hope I am not already going through menopause. It's just damn sad that we women have a finite number of fertile years and just when you have the maturity and insight to either add to or start a family, it's too late. Good luck to everyone, and my prayers are with you for happy and healthy pregnancies and healthy and happy babies!!!
As wonderful and appreciated as all the comments on this thread are, it is now almost 3 years old.  Perhaps if you are asking a similar question, I might recommend starting a new post?  It is far more likely to be read and answered that way.  Thanks!! Amanda
Hello, my name is Terri.
I'm 48 and pregnant. A Grandmother of three little girls and a mother of a 27,24,17 year olds. I thought I was going through the early stages of menapause, but discovered I was pregnant. I have a slightly high blood pressure due to pregancy, so I'm takn it easy. Feeling tired and gaining weight already belly is growing fast only 6 weeks along. Breast hurt when touching nipples feels like razor blades inside. OUCH!!!! I was wondering while at work before I new the news, headakes , dizzyness, tired, felt as if my pelvic area get firm then soft. Started having cramps like on then off during the day and layed down at night just didnt feel like myself. I thought no way I can't be pregnant, But I sure am, Gandma is gonna have a baby younger than my grandchildren something I thought I'd never hear me say.. Daddy is so happy, is grinning all the time . He's making sure I have what I need wants to pamper me 24/7.. Just a note to all you woman out there it could happen I took no fertility drugs.Baby's due in April 2012.
Congratulations!!  I am ttc after 2 miscarriages this year.  Just two weeks ago I miscarried an 8 week pregnancy, pathology reports tell us the baby's chromosomes were all paired correctly.  No extra, nothing missing.  Although I am very sad.  I am excited to try again since I know we can have a healthy baby. I am so encouraged by your pregnancy and I hope my story is encouraging for you as you go forward with all the burning questions we face as advanced maternal age mothers Although they are not sure why we had a miscarriage, we are working on figuring that out.  I hope I am soon reporting that I am pregnant again.  And I might also mention, I turned 47 in June.  Pregnant twice inside one year.  Now we knowthat the chronosomes were normal.   Just have to figure out how to get thru that first trimester.  Best to you, your family and your baby!
Wow, I am just stunned reading all these incredible stories.
I just turned 47 yesterday, had my first baby naturally by vaginal birth and without any medication, after a normal pregnancy, 7 years ago. A beautiful healthy daughter, 2months before my 40th birthday. I can say I was the happiest Mommy in the world on my 40th birthday. I loved being 40 with a 2 month old beautiful healthy baby. My birth experience was wonderful, long hours but great. I breastfed her for 2 years. My little girl never was sick, is beautiful, gifted in many areas, in fact she was 7 in May and will be in 3rd grade gifted class when school starts again in 2 weeks. I am very proud of her and she was and is my miracle baby.( Of course she is not spoiled enough, haha ). After battling unexplained infertility for many years she truly was a miracle from God. 1/2 a year into our marriage, I had a miscarriage at the age of 36 and Dr's gave me little chances of having a baby. My husband and I are married 12 years now and we are still hoping and praying for another baby. We never wanted our daughter to be an only child and she is asking for siblings. All of her friends have brothers and sisters. But all of her friends Mommy's and Daddy's are much younger than we are. You wouldn't know though and I have many friends in their 30's. We don't feel and act our age. How are we suppose to feel "our age"  anyway? About 2 years ago my daughter started praying for twin brothers, her best friend became the big sister of twin brothers and she wanted to have twin brothers too. But once again we are in the phase of 'unexplained' infertility (what ever that means) since her birth. What also means we are not getting younger and it's getting more and more difficult to become pregnant. I have not completely given up hope yet even I have typical pre menopausal signs. My period is not coming regularly anymore, I have much stronger bleedings. There is no way to tell if I am still ovulating or not. By the age of 45 I have  put my hopes on the back burner. Before that I really still believed in another pregnancy. But after 45 I didn't really wanted to think about it anymore and tried to learn to be content with the one child the Lord has blessed me with. And than my daughter started praying for her baby brothers, she even picked their names. I told her that these babies may not be coming from her mommies body, but their is always a chance that God will open the door for adoption. We are looking into that now. Anyway, I had a summer with very unusual periods, long lasting and very heavy bleedings. I am on a bio identical progesteron now to regulate my period and for some reason the hope arose again that we might still can get pregnant. Even the Dr's have very negative attitudes towards it. I am still searching for a doctor in the Daytona/ Orlando FL area who is willing and competent to work with older women who still have the hope of becoming pregnant. Does anybody of you know of some really good Dr who has a positive outlook on older women getting pregnant?
I know nothing is impossible for God and it seems a lot of you are relying on prayer too. I certainly don't feel too old for another child or two or even more. I love being just mommy, and stand my ground as a stay-at-home mom with 'just one child'. Even as it is being looked strange upon in our society. I wouldn't want to miss anything in my daughters development and certainly didn't want her to be raised in daycare. I've waited long enough for my girl. And if anything, our kids keep us young and active.
This side gives me hope again because I see I am not alone with my wish of having another child. Even for a while I gave in to the common medical believe that women over 40 putting themselves and their children at risk when they become pregnant. But I know that my God is stronger and stands  over all of these things. I love to hear stories from older women with beautiful healthy babies. And this just gave me new hope that it might not be too late. My husband is 53 and I don't believe that we are too old for another child or maybe even two. Isn't it medically proven  that a woman's body often produces more than one egg in the last years ?
I am very happy with my daughter and I am content either way, but it would be wonderful having another baby growing inside my own body.
I love all your stories, and I will check in from time to time to see what's happening with the older moms. It gave me new hope. Thank so much.
I am 46 and will turn 47 in couple months. I took BCP's for twenty years and stopped them about four years ago. I've never gotten pregnant before.Two months ago,I had my period a bit early and I went to the doctor. She sent me for a uterosalpingogram (I believe it's spelled like this) well anyway,my fallopian tubes were clear and normal. She gave me some pills to take for a week,then I got my period a few days later. The period after that was approximately 30 days after. Since I stopped the pill,my periods have been regular and last for about 4 to 5 days but I have never been very delayed may be for two days but that's about it.
I married two years ago,My husband is much younger than me,and of course we would love to have a baby together. My last period was began on July 5th,and right after I travel outside the country for six days.When I came back,my husband and I engaged into deep intimacy for one week. After that week I experienced some problems like burning in the urination and feeling full. I went to the pharmacy and got some medication,and this feeling or infection felt like it was going away but then coming back. All of a sudden stopped. Well it is August 13th and couple days ago I felt like a sensation as if my period was going to come.I took an ibuprufen pill for pain to anticipate the cramps,but anyway I have had no period yet. I also have to mention that I have been very tired for the last few days and yesterday I slept all day just about. I would love getting pregnant but I know that the chances of getting pregnant really decline with age. It is so inspiring to see this forum. If you have any ideas please help,I am writing this post from Morocco. Much love and blessings to all of you!!
I'm loving your attitude and your out looking on the baby thing........! If it's God's will it will happen at any AGE !  In the BIBLE , Sarsh had her first child at the age of 85 yrs. ( not saying we should wait until then, BUT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE , when you pleace it in God's hand......abd keep the FAITH ! ) so never give up !!!

I'm a 46 yrs. old Healthy woman, had my first @ 25yrs.( Son 22 yrs.old. ) found my soul mate , had a beautiful daughter @ 35yrs. ( she's now 11yrs. old ) came off Brith control about 2yrs now,we're still trying for our SON !  ALL Naturally.......only help is from GOD.......was pregant at 45 yrs old.,but God knows best.....cause 3 weeks later I had a miscarrige. ( * but wait side note..... before I had my daughter , YTD....I had a miscarrige in that pregancy too.....and a yr. and 9mos. later, I had a PERFECT baby girl.)  As I write this it feel like Deja vu, all over again...... a YTD like the last time.  
I'm now 46 yrs.old......47 in Oct. of this yr.,..........Today is 8-16- 2011   I'm now 13 days LATE !  ( I'm never late, Like clockwork ) took HPT @ day 7, but came back neg. , so waiting the 2 weeks to retest , But keeing the FAITH it will come back with a POSITIVE RESULTS !!!  Having all the signs of being Pregnant, just like when I had my daughter. It's just feels different, it just feels RIGHT......your body Knows.
after reading I had to POST.........this is for someone out there....NEVER GIVE UP , DON'T EVER STOP TRYING......IF IT'S "GOD'S " WILL IT WILL HAPPEN......
I am 48 years old I had a beautiful baby girl 4 years ago, had a c-section and had my tubes llitely tied, my period was always on time and now I am 10 days late, what are the chances of me being pregnant? is it possible that my tubes became untied, took 3 home pregnancy test and all came back negative? what do you think
I just turned 47 and have reconnect with my college sweetheart. we havent gone to that intimae place yet, however we are on our way. I would love to have a child with him. I guess we will have to just wait and see. I was afraid at first but after reading all these comments, I am willing and confident. Thank you Sisters
Hi all. My wife is 47 and I am 44, We have been married for 23 years. Got two children age 22 and 19.  After the second child we decided to have the tubes tied.   That was 19 years ago. Well last year we went for tubal reversal and found out my wife had abnormal fallopian tubes after the reversal. After 9 months TTC nothing happened. In early July this year we decided to look into ivf.  The timing was great. The ivf began straight away.  We found a donor and the treatment began.  Our donor gave us 19 eggs, 15 fertilized, and 10 left after 3 days. 2 embryos were transferred on 06/08/2011 and 8 were frozen.  We are now on 21/08/2011. 15 days after transfer and my wife has had 7 pregnancy tests. All have shown pregnant,   We had read all the posts, websites, about the chances using own eggs and we could that there was only a 1% chance of success and thereafter an high chance of mc.   This was the reason for donor eggs. We will let you know how we get on.  
your post literally made me cry... Is anything too hard for the Lord indeed?  I feel very encouraged that not only could God give me another baby if He wants, He could also give me a second chance at love.  I'm 45 (going to be 46 in Sept.) and I broke up with a younger man in April - one of the reasons was he was concerned about his future chances of having a family with me... very hurtful, but I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful.  Your post really helped - God bless you for sharing.
I am  a 45 y o woman who has never been pregnant. It has been a month since my last period. And I definetely could be pregnant. Everyone keeps saying that the reason I haven't had a period is due to menopause. However, I have never.....been out of my cycle..... Is it normal to miss an entire month the first time you go off cycle. ( I had a preg test, urine and blood yesterday) LOL In many ways.... I am so hoping that I am... Any thoughts? Thanks
I just turned 47 last month and ttc # 1 with IVF (with own eggs)  I'm soooo scared now that I'm halfway through the process. I'm having second thoughts and feeling like cancelling the whole thing. (I already know the risks of having a child later in life, etc...so please don't post about that) I would love to hear stories of encouragement if there is anyone else out there going through what I'm dealing with. Anyone else out there that's had IVF with own eggs at my age and took home a healthy little one., please share and Thank you Ladies for reading.
Dear Lsos,

It's fabulous that you had your babies at 25.  

Something to consider... being so young you don't have the life experience to realize women over 40 have worked, lived, traveled, and loved enough to make the informed decision whether or not to have a child at their present stage of life.

Bless your heart....

Yes, it is possible to have a healthy beautiful baby in mid-40's.  I conceived at 43 with IVF and own eggs.  And had a full-term baby girl at 44.  Now after breast feeding several months, delays because of sickness, and a failed IVF with own eggs, I am waiting for a positive preg. test from an IVF at 45.  I know the chances are very slim, but still inside I think "I just had a perfect little girl 1 1/2 years ago. I just need 1 more good egg."  I'm already preparing myself for the devastating news.  If you have never tried, and this is the first time, I would at least continue your cycle.  You never know, but remember don't get your hopes up.  I'm sorry, but pregnancy even with IVF own eggs after 44 is very
slim.
Hi, I'm 45 I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my own eggs with a mini ivf. Beta was slow to double and my re told me to stop my meds and it was a chemical....I waited a week and still no AF and 100 positive hpt's they decided to do another blood test, well my beta doubled at 43.9 hrs over 7 days, my Re was dumbfounded because my progesterone stabled and even rose. He told me he still thinks it's ectopic, and I hope not, I went for another beta 2 days later and guess what..it doubled again and levels are normal! I have to wait until tomorrow for BW and U/S to rule out ectopic! I'm going to keep the faith!
I made 11 follicles with the mini ivf and out of 11 3 made it to blastocyst. I transferred 2 and have 1 left. I will keep you posted, keep the faith!
Hugs and SSBD,
Melanie
I am 44 and nearly 17 weeks pregnant from FET. My very first IVF yeilded 23 mature eggs and 18 fertilized.  If you are having regular periods, do no listen to what the Dr's say - you CAN get pregnat.  I didn't try naturally because my insurance paid for IVF up until age 44, so I just went that route.  I was already 44 when I got pregnant.  I have 2 friends that both delivered healthy babies at age 45 THIS YEAR.  Both were natural conceptions!  If you have a dream, follow it and give it all you got.  You will never know unless you try!.

Best
yes it is possible. I have four kids aged 21 19 14 and 10 and im a week away from my 46th birthday. Last week just 2 days from being due for my period i had a strong feeling and a weird dream i was buying pregnancy test. I wanted to reassure myself i was being paranoid but got shock when 3 tests all proved positive. My husband and i became lax with contraception assuming we were past it. Obviously not. Its early days yet and i still cant decide what to do about this.I did have miscarriages in my early forties so im waiting to see if nature will dictate the outcome. I wasnt planning anymore kids but feel its a blessing
Well.  My wife continues to be pregnant age 47.  She is now 8 weeks pregnant. She had a scan at 5w 5d and everything seems ok,   They advised my wife she had a polyp.  Tommorrow she is have another scan.  This will be at 8  weeks. Hoping for the best outcome.
Hi I am 47 yrs of age mother of 3 grown sons ages 27,24,21 divorced from their father who had a vasectomyBefore and after vasectomy
Vasectomyafter 3rd child, I had a MEA ablation done in 2004 and have not had any periods since, I do get ovarianAscites with ovarian pain monthly and breast tenderness.  I thought I couldnt get pregnant after a MEA, was told by Gyn that I could but would be harder to hold the pregnancy due to scarring on my uterus.  I was also told I am prob in menopause however my labs showed I am far from it, LOL.  Now my concern I am with a man who has not had a Vas and still has soldiers.  Of course we never use BC I thought I was too old.  Now in last 2-3 wks have noticed breast tenderness, increased hunger, tired take a nap during day every day, tearful at times, headachy, and now some weird shooting pains down my vag area and both side sof my lower abdom not constant comes and goes, I did a pg test 3 wks ago when my breasts were so sore it was Neg.  Today however I awoke very nauseated and even after eating I still felt nauseated.  Could I be pg???? He said he would be over the moon happy- he is 55 LOL I am not so sure??? Yikes help what should I do??? cont. to take home PG tests??? Thanks all for any advice!!
gosh that sounds confusing. Sounds like you have all the typical symptoms.With me it was the breasts before my period was even late.They got sore and heavy. But the pregnancy tests today are so accurate you would have had a positive result surely. Mine was positive days before my period was due. Thats not to rule it out though, i have heard of women who tested negative for a while so if i were you i would continue to test then go to the doctors.I have kids in their 20s too and four altogether all from same marriage but i thought that is enough, the only time i could consider having another was if i was like you in a new relationship which is why im so unsure.Hope you find out soon whats going on.........youre never too old it just depends on your situation. good luck
can i also just say that my aunt, my dads sister had a baby at 57 years old. that was 3 yrs ago.ok, she did have intervention tho. She had IVF but had what she believed to be a miscarriage and didnt go to hospital. Seven months later she went to hospital fearing ovarian cancer as her stomach was distended and the sonographer congratulated her on being 7 and half months pregnant. She almost fainted. Turned out she was carrying twins but lost one. The story did make the headlines here She had a daughter who is now 3. She had never had any children so she just didnt put two and two together.This is kind of off the lines of the subject as we are discussed natural conception at an older age but anything is possible.  
Is that the one  that was on tv?
just an update on my situation. today the inevitable has happened and im bleeding and in some pain so i guess the decision has been made for me. I started bleeding a week to the day i had positive result from 3 tests.I dont iknow why i feel so sad as i did not really want any more children but even so im feeling pretty emotional.I have four beautiful children. They are a blessing, a gift and i am lucky. I think it is possible still to conceive naturally but holding on to a pregnancy is another matter at this age. 46 next week.To everyone who is still hanging on i wish you all the luck in the world. It is possible and if it happens its meant to be.Im not the healthiest person i smoke and enjoy a drink too.I really sincerely hope those women who do manage to reach that happy conclusion all the best and to enjoy every minute.
hi im 48 i have 3 grown children and a boy who is 6,i am desperate to be pregnant is it possible,i really would love another baby.
I will be 46 in January and we have a 20 yr old and a 9 yr old(both daughters)we had 2 losses in between them-and now I believe I am starting the menopause road...some symptoms but I don't know for sure because my mom had a hysterectomy at age 39!!! And I don't have a sister :( so, I can only gauge what I am going through, but the funny thing is my hubby who says that every 5-10 years we get "pregnant"  he's being EXTRA careful now cause we are ready to start our next season in our lives. However, I am excited for any woman that wants to be a Mom(regardless of the age)I enjoy reading your posts and pray for BABIES cause I enjoy holding OTHER babies and enjoy giving them back :) I thought I would be sad that my "baby bearing" days are coming to an end, but actually I am excited!!! Good luck everyone  Catherine
Hi, well I'm abit greedy and have 10 children, I'm 44 and have a 4 month old.... I am a much better parent at this later stage than I was in my 20's my second youngest is 3 and in between him and my baby I had 2 miscarriages, then I got serious, started acupunture, took pre-conception vitamins, royal jelly, stoped drinking alcohol, stopped drinking coffee, cut down on tea, and went to herbal t's, I would like another baby but we will see, so yes if you really want a baby get healthy and remain positive :)
Oh and if you are trying to concieve (conceive) the minimum you should be doing is taking pre-conception vitamins and if your going to try ivf acupunture is ment to boost your chances in conjunction with your ivf, my pregnancy was 40wks+4 days no complications and all births have been  active and drug free births with my last being a water birth which was a first for me, so you see anything is possible and have trust in your body (with a little extra help if needed) :)
hi im 47 just turned i didn't have a period for 3 months i took a test nothing i was sad and happy at same time my husband abandoned me and our 2 children in Sardinia 4 years ago ,i have now found a really caring guy he really wants a baby i don't know if i do ,if it happens well i will be happy but im so scared things might go wrong with the baby ,i have just started my period yesterday so i know im not pregnant but i was sad because i want a new life in side me and I know i can give so much love and care happy i got my period well how do i know my baby will be ok how do i know i might loss my baby ,can i cope with a miscarriage i have had 3 in-between my 2 other girls which are now 20 and 18   if you want to talk im on face book and my e-mail is famiglia.***@**** my name is Ellen Parker ,i would love to hear from anyone that is the same as me .thank you for reading this
I am 45 years old, and just found out I am pregnant now. I have a 20 years old, a 4 years old. I had a miscarriage two years ago. I am so happy that I have chance to have another baby. I kept very healthy life style, and prayed so hard. Because of our age, should we take progesterone anyways?
I'm 46, pregnant, and it sounds like I'm not alone!  I'm 7 weeks pregnant.  My new boyfriend and I talked about birth control after we'd already gotten together once and by then it was too late, I was carrying. He really doesn't want any more children, but I'm prepared to raise the baby alone if I have to. Besides being a little apprehensive, I'm SO EXCITED!  I've only told two co-workers and the doctor.  It will come as a shock to my 21 yr old and my parents.  Why do I still worry about how they (parents) will feel about stuff?  Anyway, baby on board!!  :)  Good luck moms!
Hi I,m 47 & have missed my first period EVER. I have tried to get pregnant in the past but was unable to and doctors could find no reason. I did a HPT but it came back negative. Is it possible I'm starting the menopause with no signs or symptoms.
how many days late are you, and did you use first morning urine? The tests say that you can test anytime of the day but first morning urine will have the higest concetrate of hcg in it, alot of women test neg then retest in a week (if they can wait that long) and it turns positive :)
I'm 6 days late. Used first morning urine. I'm never more than a day late or early. With full on periods for 6 to 7 days. It has been my dream all my life to have children and when I could'nt it was hell. I would love nothing more but feel I'm to old for a first time baby and my husband has never wanted children. He is a lovely man. I have no one to talk to and until I have an answer their is no point in worring my husband so thanks for answering my message :) I'm scared I'm not and I'm scared I am.
A baby is gift from God, a live treasure. Especially when we are over 40, even 45, got pregnant, by just happy, don't worry.
The hormone for the pregnancy test raises and falls. So you are right. If you take a pregnancy test way far along into the pregnancy, it can show negative when you are positive. Bloodtest and sonogram should be done. Dr doubting you are pregnant and won't do sono? Try your local Pregnancy Resource Center. They can help. You don't have to be poor, but if you appreciate the work they do, you can always become a supporter of these non-profit, non-government agencies truly trying to help women.  I am 48 and yes I can get pregnant. People say I look in my 30's. My cycle is still like clockwork and I am healthy and fit. I would love another baby but the hubby got fixed too well to reverse.
Its better to take with first morning urine
Ladies any comments on the following, I am 48 have had 5 x children all naturally my youngest. Is 12yrs. New marriage to love of my life (we grew up together/high school sweethearts&lovers - people interfered we married others - I divorced he a widower) during the later part of his marriage he had vasectomy. We are considering reversal. My grandmother had her last child at 48 (she had 13 all live births all without complications nor abnormalities). I would dearly love to bring another child into the worl/our world - currently I/We are raising my beautiful young men -twins age 161/2yrs. My question to you all - am I/We being selfish? Ps: we can financially support & juried another child in our lives - adoption too complicated - we currently live in Australia.
I have a similar story...I married the love of my life/my high school sweetheart after we split up in our late teens and both had marriages and children with others. He is 42, I am 41 (I will be 42 next month)

We reunited almost 4 years ago and thought long and hard about whether or not to have child together (I was certain I wanted a child...he was on the fence for quite some time...)

This past Valentine's Day his gift to me was a pair of baby shoes :) His way of saying, okay...let's give this a try. Amazingly, we conceived immediately and our daughter should be born tomorrow (I am scheduled for an induction).

Honestly, there have been a few times in the past 8 months that I have thought "What on earth were we THINKING?!?" LOL But...like many people having children a little later in life, we have many advantages now that we didn't when we were younger. We are MUCH more financially secure, we are more mature, we have the benefit of experience (he has three children ages 20, 20 and 10 while I have two ages 21 and 19) and I honestly believe that while we were good parents to our older children, we will be even better parents now.

I believe if you truly want a child and can give a child what a child needs to grow up happy....go for it!

All that said, before going to the expense of a vasectomy reversal, you may want to see a reproductive specialist for tests to see what kind of shape your system is in. As we age, our egg supply declines in quality and quantity, making it more difficult to get pregnant and carry a healthy baby to term.

One thing you have going for you is a family history of natural pregnancy at an advanced age (both of my grandmothers had their youngest children while in the 40's).

I wish you all the best!
we are also in australia and my wife is pregnant.  she is 18 weeks and everything is going fine - my wife will be 48 when the baby is born.  there must be some thing in the air in australia!  we already have 2 children age 22 & 19. good luck to everyone.
Came accross this thread just now sitting here in front of PC, wondering am I one of these pregnant women at age 47. All symptoms, check. Haven't taken a test due to nervousness. I got pregnant at 44 and miscarried at 6 weeks. I know that the stats say we have a greater risk of mc at our age so this motivates me not to certify it, somehow if I loose this pregnancy I won't have to look back at a confirmation. Emotional, so I might not be making much sense to anyone out there.
Hi gamma0f4

I felt like I was reading the post I was getting ready to write myself!  It totally makes sense! Only difference is I have never been pregnant. Scared for the same reasons you are and don't want to know if it's perimenopause  :(
Thank you for your kind comments & advice - re fertility checks. Inagree thisnwill be a important step prior to a v.reversal! It's amazing what life throws at you. Your words and your similar story helps with the internal emotional dialogue that I have be wrestling with. I know if we do have a baby that he/she will be well loved. By the way small correction my sons (twins) are my gorgeous step-sons who welcomed me into their life & hearts 3yrs ago after the passing of their mum - I am truly fortunate to have the honor of continuing to guide and love 'my sons' ps: they occasionally lapse during conversation & call me mom (they're Canadian! Lol) which for me makes me smile....gives me a lift to think I must be doing something right for them!! Thanks again will keep you posted.
Yes, I would say there is something in the air here in Australia....must be all the sun...hard to be sad when the sun is shining! Lol:) Thankyou for your thoughts & good luck with your pregnancy I am sure all will go well.

Ps: what was the response from your adult children?
HI Stacy20
     Lastnite as I left the office I felt soooo pregnant, then this morning I woke up with the thought I'm not pregnant. I freaked out in a way. This happened to me the last time. That morning I woke up with the same sensation,  I went to the bathroom and I had a streak when i wiped. I lost the baby that evening.
     So this morning when I woke up with the same thought, I thought here I go again. This time no streak and I still feel all symptoms. I think I'm being anxious.
     We have a family already, we have 4 children (29,26,21,&12) and 4 grandchildren (7,4,1,and one due this spring).
     My children think this is crazy and exciting, but they are very sweet to support me in whatever the L-rd has in His plans for us.
Hi, Did you take a test? I know how you feel, I'm 45 and MC at 9 weeks, I go for another frozen embryo transfer around Thanksgiving. I pray you get your dream, I have 3. 22, 20 and 15. If i get pregnant this year they will be a year older!
Hugs,
Melanie
well I'm in aussie, and found out I was preggers again 3 wks ago, my youngest is 6 months I will be 45 in feb, I had my amh levels checked, wish I haddent!!, anyway this pregnancy is not progressing and am waiting to miscarry, but I'm going to get back on the horse and am determined to find that one last good egg I have in my body :) for those of you who are trying, I would suggest to get on some good pre-conception prenatals or the very least be taking folic acid, as the egg that is released starts maturing 3 months before its release, for anyone whoose interested this is what I'm doing and have been doing for the last 2 1/2 months (didnt catch this current egg) acupuncture, pre-conception prenatals, royal jelly, bee pollen, evening primrose, and vital greens (supplement that contains, wheatgrass, spirilina, coq10 amongst other stuff), just get your body in the best shape to produce and succefully carry a baby, and good luck to all us older mums :)
I just took a test and its 100% positive. I'm excited! There is a hope for us all! Keep the faith ladies many hugs!
Yay, so excited for you!
keep me posted!
hugs,
Mel
I live in England and am 45y.  I have recently married a younger Egyptian man (25) and we enjoyed some lovely intimate times after my period fnished on 25/10/11.  I felt very pregnant and experienced sore breasts almost straight away.  Sadly I started to bleed around 3/11/11 which is around 9/10days after my period finished and I thought that it was my period.  It was very different to a normal period.  Much lighter in colour and not as heavy as a normal period.  
When i got home to England I looked it up on the internet and realised that maybe it was the egg implanting so I went to the Dr just in case.
She recommended a hpt of which I have done three now, all negative and have just had my bloods taken to see if I am pregnant.  Still no proper period and I do feel pregnant.  I am now 5 weeks late.
I should get my blood results this week and will keep you posted.  My Egyptian husband wants a baby of course and I would love to have his baby....
Caroline from Suffolk
I am almost 46 yrs old, have a 3 year old son, conceived by ICSI, and I think I might be pregnant.  I really really want another child but have no man in my life.  I did have a brief affair with a Catholic priest (pls dont judge me, I am not proud of this), and i might be pregnant.  But i always leave things up to the Big Guy up there, so if it is meant to be, this is divine intervention.  I was told at 39 I could never conceive, and no fertitltiy clinic on the planet woould take me, until the 7th one I approached.  So if I am truly preggers, then this is my even bigger miracle than the first one!
I'm 47 and remarried, would love another baby ( have had 3 all grown ) but the likelyhood at this late age is unlikely at best. To have a baby now would almost certainly include an egg donor or at the very least...some fertility help. It's just an unfortunate ( or maybe fortunate ) fact that we're born with a certain number of eggs and by the time we start menstruation...we've already lost half of them. When we're in our late 40's....we're unlikely to have enough healthy eggs to have fertilized. My husband and I have been having unprotected sex for easily 4 years now ( very often too ) and I'm now starting to experience pre-menopausal symptoms.
This isn't meant to kill the dream for you....I'm just trying to post facts and if you really really really want that baby, don't wait for the unlikely, but go and see what you need to do to make it happen. Probably will cost a little savings to make it so, but they are so worth it...aren't they?
momof16   Godbless you and keep u and u r family and new baby, your faith in God is so true and awesome because it is true nothing is impossible for God, also love how you said if baby was down syndrome you would welcome him Godbless and your family, because nothing is impossible for the God we serve.
Wow, couldn't be more encouraged by the testimonials of women over 40 and some even over 45.  Thank you for sharing.  I am 46, married for 8 1/2 years.  My husband has 3 adult children and I have none.  We would both like a child together.  We have tried, but still no pregnancy.  I have had fibroid tumors for many years.  I had an abdominal myomectomy last year (11 fibroid benign tumors were removed), but nothing got better (still heavy bleeding, severe cramping, and no pregnancy) was given the depo shot, period still came down.  Was scheduled for a hysteroscopic myomectomy today, but chickened out.  I just didn't feel like I new enough about the surgery, recovery, or the surgical center.  However, I have spent the last four hours watching the procedure on Youtube and reading articles from several medical journals, and now I feel much better about having the outpatient surgery and a surgical center.  One of my main concerns was wanting my doctor to perform the procedure in the hospital where I would be comfortable knowing in the event of an emergency there is an emergency room.  (Feel Me?)  The doctor also suggested ablation of the uterus lining.  I declined and when he asked why not, grudgingly I told him that despite my age I just couldn't give up on the posibility of ever having a child and being a mother.  He said, he understood.  With that being said, I am going to have the procedure done.  I regret that I didn't go through with it today.  Maybe that was God's will.  Romans 8:28 says, "All things work for the good for those that love the Lord..." and I do truly love him though I don't always understand how he works in my life.  So, hopefully my doctor will still be willing to perform the surgery after Christmas.  My fibroid is "submucosal" meaning it's growing in the uterus, causes re-shaping of the uterus and could prevent pregnancy.  So, can't let anything stand in the way of fulfilling my dream, right?  gotta get rid of the fibroid.  I am hoping for twins.  They run on my mom's side of the family.  Currently, there are about 15 sets including my identical twin sisters.  Well, that's all folks.  I hope there are some women or at least one who can empathize with me.  Please keep me in your prayers and thank you for reading my post.

Sincerely,

Hanging in there
You are such a blessing to me. My husband of 1 year and I are trying to conceive. We've been at it for about 8 months. In the past, I've taken several pregnancy test, and all came back negative. My husband and I are walking by faith and allowing God's will be done in our lives. My husband has no children and I have a 21 and 15 yr old son. I'm 45 and desperately want another child. God blessed me with my spiritual/soul-mate. I had a surgery in September 2010 (myomectomy) to remove fibroid. My dr told us to wait about a year before we try to conceive, and have intercourse every other day. But we started 8 mos after the surgery. I'm having all kinds of symptoms: nausea, tiredness, sleepy all the time, and menstrual cycle 6 wks late. However, I don't want to be disappointed again. I'm praying that I am because my husband, our sons and I would be so elated. I'm praying for every woman over 45 that desires to have a child. With God on our side, we are conquerors no matter what the doctors says.Lets keep praying and encouraging one another.
I was diagnosed with fibroids in 2009 and they almost killed me if I didn't make it to the doctor in time. In Sept 2010, I had a myomectomy three months prior to our wedding. My surgery was very successful but I had 3 blood transfusions before surgery (low red blood cell), during, and after surgery because I lost so much blood. My doctor removed 44 fibroid that was stuck together like popcorns. She testified that she has never seen or heard of that many fibroid in one person. I still have a few fibroids left but they're not in the way of me getting pregnant. However, I must conceive quick because the fibroids can come back. My husband and I was instructed to wait about a year before we try to conceive. We've been at it since July 2011 and nothing so far. I might be expecting but I'll wait until the end of January to find out. In the past, I took several pregnancy test and all were negative so I don't want to be disappointed again. After the surgery, my cycle is normal and short. No more long periods. I'll definitely pray for you. Keep me posted.
congratulations!  I  am 45 mom of two 28 yrs and 20 yrs- want another one so bad- doc;s said my hubbie was sterile, impossible-
but I am a month late= never happened before- say a prayer for me

You give me hope-
Viewing 1-200 comments: