PREGNANCY 35+
COMMUNITY
Pregnancy Test faint line not getting darker
by 45yrold, Nov 10, 2007
I am 45 and just had a postive pregnancy test.  This was not a planned pregancy, but welcomed all the same.  I really didn't think it was possible.  I tested two days before my period was due, now it is three days past.  The line on the test was faint the first time.  I've retested 4 times since then (the last time was first thing this morning) and the line is not getting any darker.  If anything, it looks even lighter.  Does this mean I'm not producing enough HcG to sustain this pregnancy?  I don't even want to go to a doctor if I am going to miscarry this early anyway.   I wasn't trying to get pregnant and not doing any fertility measures. I just want to go with what was meant to be, but this uncertainty is really playing with my emotions.
Member Comments (11)
by 1nana, Nov 10, 2007
What are you testing with? First response early results (FRER) is supposed to be one of the best, along with the clear blue easy digital.
by RunningL8, Nov 10, 2007
I had an ept test that looked positive and was negative, and then one that was negative but I was pregnant.  The darkness of the line isn't supposed to mean anything.  I would get the clear blue digital that says either pregnant or not pregnant.
by RunningL8, Nov 10, 2007
I just wanted to add that it's important to find out if you're pregnant, because if so, your doctor will probably want to give you progesterone suppositories and monitor your progesterone.  Progesterone runs low in older women and is necessary to have a good uterine lining to sustain the pregnancy.
by rochelina, Nov 12, 2007
get a blood test and this way you know for sure. ask your doctor to request for the progesterone level, hcb included this way you get a better idea of what is really happening.
i just had a preg test [home], next day a blood test and the doctor called me to tell me that most probably wasn't going to make it due to the hormone levels, and after 2 weeks and 2 ultrasounds nothing was really found besides an empty sac, and i had a d/c.
better to go to the doctor and know what is going on, you don't need to take progesterone they say if it's a bad pregnancy it won't help anyhow. good luck.
by AshleysMom, Nov 13, 2007
Hi:

I'm not trying to scare you, but this same thing happened to me when I had an ectopic.  Just a faint line that never got any darker.  I'd go get a boodtest.  Best of luck to you!

I used FRER and EPT fyi.  
by AshleysMom, Nov 15, 2007
How are you doing?
by hancer1124, Jan 15, 2008
I got pregnant on my 35th birthday.  The first test was taken a few days after missed period and the line was faint.  Now I've went to the Health dept. and they gave me one at 9 weeks pregnant and the line was still faint.  I'm worried because of my age but I do have a doctor's appointment next week so I guess I'll find out more then.
by tahariel, May 20, 2008
The darkness or lightness of the lines isn't suppose to be relevant. A positive line of any shade usually indicates pregnancy. Call your doctor and confirm with a blood test. Congratulations!