Pregnancy 35+ Community
Pregnant at 45

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Pregnant at 45

I believe my odds were 1 in 100 I would get pregnant. I have been married two years...and missed my period last week. I am 45. I didn't want more children though I only have one precious child who is 12 age age 33 (c section).  I am shocked and  coming to terms with the possibility. I have scheduled a sonogram in about 10 more  days when I will be 7 weeks. I don't feel pregant at all....no signs other than missing my period.  Has anyone reading this delivered a healthy baby at 46. I turn 46 in April when the baby would be due. I am scared to death! My husband is happy and noting that this is a miracle. He has 5 grown children and is 53. He is very supportive.
Are you saying that your ONLY indicator is a missed period, or are you saying you had a positive pregnancy test?  Congratulations if so!  If not, take a home pregnancy test, as missing a period is not enough by itself to indicate pregnancy even if you weren't 45.  :)

As far as your question "has anyone reading this delivered a healthy baby at 46?"  I am sure the answer is yes, I would say yes myself except my healthy baby that I delivered (at a later age than that) was from a donor egg, and I was thinking you are asking about risks of Downs and such.  IF you are asking about the capacity of the uterus, no problems there, you can do it, especially if you have had a child before.

Good luck!  May everything be uneventful!

Annie
id get a scan done first to be certain, the start of the menopause is at 40+ and can make you miss periods, the only risks you have is very high risk of down syndrome after the age of 35, and more if you smoke.

hopefully all will go well and you'll be posting in ten days to say for sure, have you done a pregnancy test at the doctors?
Yes, I took a home pregnancy test ( in fact I took three) - and they are all positive! I go to the doctor on the 16th (7 weeks) for a sonogram when I can hear a heart beat. I will be 46 in April when the baby is due.
No, I don't smoke ...and delivered a healthy baby (c section) at age 33.  God help me!
My Grandmother was 45 or 46 when she had my youngest Uncle. (He is actually younger than my brother, his nephew :o)  Of course this was almost 40 years ago and they didn't have all the testing and technology available that they do now.  Can you believe that the doctors actually recommended she have an abortion just because of her age?!?  Thank God she didn't b/c my Uncle was born absolutely healthy; no downs or ANY other problem! :o)  He is now almost 40 himself and is a wonderful person, loving father and husband, and successful dentist!  You will have the options to know for certain if there are any problems where she did not, but I thought at least this would offer some consolation that a healthy baby after 45 IS possible!  Congratulations and good luck! :o)
It's always a bit of a shock to find yourself unexpectedly pregnant.  Give yourself some time to get used to the idea and I have no doubt you will be excited and happy about it!

As for age, it's not super common to conceive naturally at 45, but it sure does happen.  My lovely co-cl, PamelaBee delivered a beautiful healthy baby girl at 45.  

As for increased risks, yes those of us over 40 do have a slightly increased risk of things like DS, but it's still pretty rare.  When the time comes you can opt for further testing if you choose to find out for certain.  And BTW...I know you don't smoke, but it does not increase risk of DS or birth defects.  It does increase risk of things like low birthweight, miscarriage and issues such as asthma.

Congrats to you and good luck!!
Congratulations !!!!  U will have to keep up posted... Good luck with your dr apt on the 16th..
Congratulations!  You can and will be fine.  On the doctors forums (Fertility) the doctor there mentioned that she has had patients giving birth to healthy babies even up to their early 50s.

So you are still a young un!

Let us know how you go.
I am also pregnant at 44 (will be 45 next month).  I have 4 kids, 1 is 23 yrs old, the youngest is 1-1/2 years.  All were conceived naturally, and all healthy, no c-sections.  I turned down the amnio last year, did not want to risk miscarriage.  But there are advanced tests now such as nuchal translucency which measures the back of baby's neck for down syndrom (syndrome).  My advice to you is to seek an accupuncturist that specializes in fertility & pregnancy.  See www.herbalroom.com, that is where I go - I also buy my vitamins/supplements through them...they have done lots of research and only use high end companies.  Eat organic foods (eat healthy), mild exercise, take prenatals and extra folic acid.  Take Omega 3 DHA.  Just relax...chances are everything will be fine!