Pregnancy 35+ Community
Pregnant with abnormal mass in uterus

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Pregnant with abnormal mass in uterus

I had an ultrasound two weeks ago and they found that the baby was fine, but there is an unusual mass in my uterus.  At that time they thought maybe a cyst or a second pregnancy that never developed.  I went back for a repeat u/s today.  Again, baby doing fine, but now the mass has grown and they discovered there is blood flow to the mass.  I have absolutely no idea what this could be, and worse, neither do they.  I have to go to a high risk perinatologist next Thursday, who is almost two-and-a-half hours away.  They also said I have a Retro-placental bleed.  I got a progesterone shot today and 2 weeks ago.  I am stressed, to say the least.  I hate having to wait 8 days to (maybe) find out what this is.  They are concerned about miscarriage, and what happens if the mass is still there as the baby grows.  I have tried to research online what this could be, but not really getting anywhere.  I came across fibroids, but can't find anything that says if they have blood flow to them, and if it were that, why they would not suggest that at the Ob's office.  Has anyone has had anything similar?  Please let me know.  Thanks!
I was thinking fibroids, also.  There might be a surgery that they can do to cut the blood flow, I do know that when there are identical twins and they are suffering from twin to twin transfusion syndrome they will sometimes do the risky surgery to cut off the blood flow to one twin in order to save the other, but that is only warranted when the blood flow is coming from one baby to the other, not from the uterus to the mass.  Sorry, but I think only your high-risk perinatologist is going to be able to answer this one.  I guess with you being pregnant they are not suggesting an MRI of the uterus?  It would be a much better diagnostic than an ultrasound is, but I don't know if it is contraindicated in pregnancy.
Yes, fibroids do have blood flow that comes from the uterus.  Its also possible you have an abnormal pregnancy developing.  Im sorry you are going through this.  As Annie says, the only person that can answer this is your high-risk doctor.
Thanks ladies.  Yes, that is what it would seem.  But it still boggles the mind that they would not recognize a fibroid and at least suggest that is what it might be until further diagnosis.  She acted like this was something completely foreign to her and even said "I've never seen anything like it."  You'd think that an established practice with 7 ObGyns and 4 Certified Nurse Midwives would have come across something as common as a fibroid!  If that is what it is, I will have completely lost faith in my ObGyn practice for making me go two and a half hours from home to diagnose something like that.  Very strange.  Well until then, I will hope for the best and *try* not to stress too much (yeah, right! :o)
I had scar tissue in my uterus when doing IVF and they never saw it.  Went for an HSG with the best doc in the country and she was totally confused by it, and she has done 60,000 HSGs.  You just never know when someone makes a speech like "I've never seen anything like it."  Maybe your uterine shape is unusual to them or something about their view of it made it look odd, but I'd try not to stress too much.
Yesterday they did another ultrasound and they said I have dilation of the blood vessels in my uterus.  They don't know the cause and can't do anything to find out while I'm pregnant.  But the good news is the baby looks fine and they don't think it should cause complications.  They said if it gets worse they might deliver me at 37 weeks via C-section rather than letting me labor just to be sure the blood vessels don't rupture... but that is fine with me.  Most likely, though they think it will be fine to labor normally.  :o)
Good news!
Please keep us posted..I am glad its good news

Hugs
D
Thank you :oD
Hi, I am 6 weeks pregnant and experiencing the same thing. The dr's have no idea what it is, and with low progesterone levels, are concerned I will most likely misscarry, even though as of right now the baby looks fine. I have been having slight cramps and slight spotting. Do you have any advice or suggestions? Has your pregnancy continued?

Jennifer
Sorry, just got this.  Yes!  Everything is great!  They say everything is fine and don't expect any problems!  I haven't noticed any complications from it, just the initial light spotting that went away weeks ago (I am 20 weeks now :o)  Hope all is well with you, too.  Just report any concerns or problems to your Ob.  God bless!
I am 22 weeks along and they have found the very same thing in my uterus as well... the baby looks healthy and normal, going to see a specialist soon!
Hi hope all went well with you! what ended up being the issue? I am asking because I am 26 weeks, and at my ultrasound yesterday they said I have something weird against the uterine wall she suggested a piece of placenta separate then the placenta feeding baby. I am waiting on the doc to read the ultrasound. The tech seemed very confused. Thanks
Hi, I have gone through the same thing, and both dr (ob/high risk dr) don't know what it is . They recommended mri, which i am skeptical with at this stage. I requested to have it done later into the preg, since I am only 12 wks. Ob still want me to get the mri even tho it won't complicate the pregnancy..  This stuff seem to be getting common, but drs don't know what it is..
About a month a half ago I was diagnosed with a 16 cm uterine mass.I was not told what it was just that it "might" be a fibroid.I was scheduled for surgery to have my uterus removed in a couple weeks..A couple days ago I found out I am pregnant.I have an appt tomorrow for an ultra sound.Ive just been wondering what I'm going to hear,if I'm going to be able to have healthy pregnancy with no risks to myself or the baby.