Pregnancy 35+ Community
Prenancy and the flu??
About This Community:

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prenancy and the flu??

My 7 year old was swabed and tested positive for strand b flu today, we all had the flu shots but apparently strand b wasnt one of the strands included in it this year. His ped told me to call my ob asap and gave me a script for my son along with instructions to keep hime home from school for at least a week. I called my ob and was told by the nurse they were calling a script in for me for 10 days and I needed to pick it up and start it rite away as a preventitive. So my question is why am I taking it? Im not sick. He allready has it and chances are my other 3 sons will end up with it, this will most likely be passed around my home for afew weeks until they all get over it. Is the strand b bad? Is it dangerous for me because im pg or something? My boys have had the flu before and I didnt need to take anything. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? I just dont prefer taking meds when it isnt nessary so I dont really understand the need at this point unless its more dangerous while your pg or something.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
Michelle,  you need to have a heart-to-heart with your OB about this.  

Very interesting questions you raised,  and they deserve answers.

Best wishes.
Blank
Seems they gave it to u as a preventative so when u deliver your not sick and hopefully baby won't get it ;)
Blank
I had to do the same thing. Just because the babys immune system isnt strong enough to fight it off. Think about how miserable we are when we get it...that could be dangerous for a developing baby. Therefore they dont even want you to have symptoms at all.
Blank
4738473_tn?1360039398
I spoke to my ob today. He said thier main concerns are that the flu virus can effect the fetus and how easy it would be for me to become dehydrated if i got it and since i am high risk he wasnt takeing any chances.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 35+ Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...