Pregnancy 35+ Community
Progesterone - constipation

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Progesterone - constipation

Sorry if this is TMI, but I have to know if anybody else is going through the same thing, and if anything they are doing is helping.  

I don't know if it is the pregnancy or the progesterone supplements, but I am suffering from constant constipation and nothing is helping.  I've been taking 3 colace 100mg stool softeners a day, my prenatal vitamin has a stool softener in it, I take 3 benefibers a day, along with fiber snack crackers and fiber cereal and increased fluid intake and nothing is working at all.  The only way I can get relief is to take milk of magnesia which is a non stimulant laxative.  I know it is safe in the second and third trimester but honestly I not even 100% sure if I'm supposed to take it in the first.  I try not to but seriously I'm not going at all without it.  I wait as long as I can..

Anybody else going through this?  Is anything you are doing helping?  
I googled milk of magnesia during the first trimester and everything I founds said they want you to try all the other stuff first but if that doesn't work, than it is okay to use on limited basis.  Well that is a relief!!
OMG in my second pg.. my first time on prog.. I seriously thought I was dying.  I was at work and had to lay down on the floor.  I didnt know what it was haha.. it was severe constipation hahaha.. anyway, I don't know what helps... they says that those sugar alcohols in diet chocolate make you go could that help haha.. hey an excuse to eat treats :)
Oh Hannah, I had this really bad during the 1st trimester. I started eating a ton of grapes and that did the trick for me!!! I also found that once I got of my progesterone supplements I also had an easier time going.

My doctor gave me Rx for constipation and nothing worked, just the grapes.  So, I say eat some grapes!!! This for me is the worst part of pregnancy! I would much rather have morning sickness all day then be constipated. Good luck!!!!
I will try the grapes and chocolate to YUM :)

What was the RX for?  Was it for a laxative or a stronger stool softener?  

thanks.
The Rx was a stool softener. My doctor does not want his patients to use laxatives, only stool softeners. I found all it did was give me horrible gas and a really stomachache. So, not worth it!

I hear the progesterone (natural or supplemental) causes digestive system to be very sluggish according to my pregnancy books hence issues with heartburn and constipation.   This way the digestive system better absorbs nutrients.  Also depending on how far along you are, the baby and uterus are probably pushing down on things....sort of like stepping on a garden hose  and last but not least the prenatal vitamins are loaded with iron and iron turns poo into steel!   So you're not alone and we must all suffer through this.     I seriously think these nine months warrant a very nice push present from our DH!!  

I've been drinking a lot of water and even taking metamucil.  The metamucil helps a lot as do the grapes.   Stool softner, milk of magnesia, fibre supplement, and using a stool when you to the b.r. can offer some relief.  

Apparently constipation will stick with you throughout pregnancy.
I had terrible constipation in my first pregnancy.  In addition to my prenatal vitamin, I was taking 2 supplements of Feosol iron daily...talk about being backed up, good God I wanted to explode!!!  I took colace too, but personally that was useless.  It seems like all OBs suggest the same remedies, but this subject is clearly, one size does NOT fit all!  I was trying everything, and finally later in my 2nd trimester my Ob ok'd Milk of Magnesia,and that worked like a charm.  Pears worked good for me too.  If the Milk of Magnesia worked for you, call your OB and ask about its safety in the 1st trimester.  Sorry you're going through this...it's like the pregnant womans bone of contention!!  Hope some of the info posted helps.
I'm gonna try the grapes.. and maybe start eating watermelon by the pound.  Under normal conditions that seems to help so maybe I'll have some luck with that :)

It was pretty bad with my first pg, but I would always eventually go... this time.. nothing without a laxative.  terrible.  
hannah, once you do go, your going to explode, colace, benefiber, that is a lot  you will have the scoots for days,. when I was prego and taking PIO shots, I had horrible constipation, progesterone does slow down the whole process, hence causing constipation, what did your RE tell you to do if nothing else worked, did you have this trouble with jacob?? wish ya all the best of luck