Pregnancy 35+ Community
Proven egg quality and quantity supplements

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

We have been thru 3 fresh rounds of ivf and an fet. I have had a natural mc at 5 weeks and a D&C at 9 weeks because our little ones heart stopped beating. My DH would like me to try another fresh cycle. I was taking loads of supplements and doing acupuncture these last two fresh cycles. What are the best supplements to take both for quality and quantity?  Here is a list of the ones I've been taking. Some of them are for overall health...
N Acetyl cystine 2000
Queens delight (royal jelly)
Coq10 ubiquinol 200mg
Inositol 
Omega 3 dha 
X FLM K37
Metformin pcos
Neevo DHA prenatal
Folic acid 800mcg
Floridix iron supplement
Vitamin D drops

My acupuncturists isn't a believer in DHEA but has anyone had any great luck with it or anything else.
My DH is really wanting me to try another cycle. He's never asked me this before so I may if I can get a head start on these supplements. I will have a couple months to get them into my system since I have to wait for my lining to build back up nice and strong. Thank you for any help you can offer. We are desperate to have just one baby before we gave to call it quits. You can message me anytime or I will check back here.
Thank you so much for your help!!!
Ginger
I would throw maca into your list, not sure if you can take it with metoformin though as it balances your hormones naturally, it also nourishes the endochrine system, which the overies are part of, so many women who dont ovulate on their own, start doing so once on maca, I would def give maca a go and as your already on myo inositol I wouldnt go to the dhea just yet, you should give the maca at leat 45 days to work, but 2 people I have put onto maca have ovulated on there own for the first time ever within a month of taking it, it also helps with eggs as well :)
Oh and maybe throw in some spirulina/wheetgrass mix as well :)
I am sorry you had these miscarriages.

I had several miscarriages. The only viable pregnancy I had -my son: I was gulping down water like crazy and eating a lot of fresh fruits and eggs in the morning when he was conceived... May have helped!
Thanks for the replies ladies
I was told to take wheatgrass and along with all the other things I take  by my acupuncturist who finally got back to me. do you ladies have any experience with these?

Ecologic I'm allergic to eggs but I did drink water like crazy every day.

My RE said the further you are along and miscarry ( I was 9 weeks it's less likely to be a genetic problem) I'm curious to know what the cause could of been now.

Well my last miscarriage last year was at 11 weeks and the baby had trisomy 18... so not sure if your RE really is right on that one!

I also miscarried twins at 7 and 8 weeks a few years ago, I do not know the reason as we did not do the genetic testing (I regret) but I tend to think they both must have had a genetic problem as well :-(

How old are you?

After 3 miscarriages, I conceived my son at 40 and he was born when I was 41...
He didn't say that genetics would be excluded but had mentioned the further along you are the chances drops as being the reason for mc. This conversation was right before my procedure.  We did elect genetic testing but who knows how long that can take?? My cousin who is my same age had genetic testing done on her mc. It showed severe downs and severe heart defect. She had a daughter a year prior who has several handicapps. With her we are unsure if it was a drug/alcohol issue or if there are just developement and mental issues unrelated. My family has no sort of problems but I can't say the same about her husbands side of the family. They are irresponsible and refuse to have genetic testing for her.
I myself have had my genetic testing come back perfect but my re puts me on meds just incase (lovenox, prednisone)
I'm 37 right now
I know he will  have more info me when we have the consultation but I want to have questions for him as well.  I had caught him off guard with my emergency, he just got back from a trip the day I needed surgery and I could tell his heart was just as broken as DH and I. We have grown a very strong relationship with this man.
I have another question... If the genetic testing doesn't come back with abnormal chromosomes what are the other possibilities for the demise? We heard and saw the strong heart beat a week apart from each other. Then I was cleared to see the re in two weeks which I never made it to due to hemorrhaging. I was told it passes away at 8 weeks when I was supposed to be exactly 9 weeks.
sadly somteime there is no reason and everything just stops, in a way its better if they do find a genetic problem as then you have a reason, if your going to an acupuncturist, your uterine lining should be good and your uterus should be "warm" and there should be adequit blood flow to the baby as well, as for the wheatgrass, I think spirulina is better but you can buy a spirulina/wheatgrass mix and yuou can get it in powder form which you make into smoothies with banana etc, or you can get the tablets, which you need aroun 10 a day :)
I will give the spiurilina a try too.  this is the last ivf cycle we can hardly afford so I'm going to make it count. As soon as I recover from the surgery I'll be back getting treatment with the acupuncturist. My RE said I have to sit out a couple cycles and has me on meds to build my lining back up.
Thanks for all your help.
I too had a natural miscarriage at 5 weeks 7 years ago and in may a d&c at 10 weeks, baby stopped at 9 weeks, but was measuring a week behind. I had the testing done and it came back inconclusive. So I went to a RE and had them run chromosonal testing on me and my husband as well as all the other testing on me and it came back normal for chromosonal but i have prothrombin gene mutation blood disorder and i am on lovenox with this pregnancy.  We will never know for sure about the cause of the last miscarraige (miscarriage) but im glad to have found this disorder.  
The gentic testing takes 3 weeks to get results.
Ginger, have you guys thought about doing PDG before your transfer?
In medicine and (clinical) genetics pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD or PIGD) (also known as embryo screening) refers to procedures that are performed on embryos prior to implantation, sometimes even on oocytes prior to fertilization. PGD is considered another way to prenatal diagnosis. When used to screen for a specific genetic disease, its main advantage is that it avoids selective pregnancy termination as the method makes it highly likely that the baby will be free of the disease under consideration. PGD thus is an adjunct to assisted reproductive technology, and requires in vitro fertilization (IVF) to obtain oocytes or embryos for evaluation.

The term pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS) is used to denote procedures that do not look for a specific disease but use PGD techniques to identify embryos at risk. PGD is a poorly chosen phrase because, in medicine, to "diagnose" means to identify an illness or determine its cause. An oocyte or early-stage embryo has no symptoms of disease. They are not ill. Rather, they may have a genetic condition that could lead to disease. To "screen" means to test for anatomical, physiological, or genetic conditions in the absence of symptoms of disease. So both PGD and PGS should be referred to as types of embryo screening.
We  had genetic testing and i was on lovenox and prednisone among other things right after IVF. I'm curious to see why the baby who was doing excellent just all the sudden arrested.
Wow, then that is a good question! Leaves me stumped..that was the only thing I could think of. Will be interested to know what the cause was. Very sad for you. I guess the good thing will be you will find out, and have some closure, and also will have some answers for your next try. Are you guy's going to try again?
Pgd was considered last time but because of my family hx my RE didn't think it was necessary but I really wanted it done. This time there will be no option, it's the last ivf cycle we can hardly Afford after about 100K in fertility treatments along the way. We are still supposed to have the WTF consult but I don't think that's happening Monday, I think it's my post op visit only. I'm sure everything that's possible will be thorn at us to ensure a pregnancy outcome. I'm just terrified I'm going to be childless by the end of that cycle too.
You know my trisomy baby was doing great at 6 and 9 weeks, good heartbeat, all reasons to be optimistic. Then it suddendly stopped at 11 weeks.

At 37 you have very good chances to have a baby! Even with a history of miscarriages!
Well if It doesn't happen this next time we won't be having a baby. This is the last ivf cycle we can hardly scrape the money together for. It's 20k per cycle plus 7k PGD and last round of meds was 5500. This will be my 4th fresh cycle and I've had 1 frozen cycle too.
I've had 7 cash surgeries we are still paying for. This is our last try. I sure hope it works. If we were able to do it without ivf I wouldn't be as worried but it's not an option with our medical histories.
Your in my prays Ginger for a successful outcome!
Thank you everyone for all your advise. I really appreciate it more than you could possibly know.
Best wishes to all you ladies
Do you have blocked tubes or your partner has low sperm count?

I suffered from unexplained infertility for 2 full years, lost ovary function on one side as well (ovarian cyst). We did an IVF: miscarriage. Then I started to get pregnant naturally, a few more miscarriages and then a successfull pregnancy.

Unexpected things can happen sometimes! Good luck!
We both have many fertility factors but his make it completely impossible for natural conception.
Ginger, I love you my friend but egg quantity and quality cannot be changed with ANY supplement.  Every woman is born with a finate number of eggs.  Unlike men who produce sperm, women do not actually produce eggs.  We are born with a limited amount and we release them one per cycle, typically.  As a woman approaches the end of her ovarian reserve, both quantity and quality decline.  When a woman is out of eggs, she enter menopause.  Unfortunately, we can't change the date when we run out of eggs since the number is fixed at birth.  I know you want to improve your chances but human biology just does not work that way.    The fact that you got pregnant twice before is a good sign.  All you need is one sticky embryo.  
(Hugs)
Thanks Helen
I know we are born with a set amount and all that. When I wasn't on all the supplements nothing happened. If its not helping the egg quality per say it's at least helping my overall health. I've been a sickly person even as a baby. I know im lucky to produce 20-21 eggs consistently at my age. Some ladies only have 5 or so. I could produce 100 and if they are no good they are useless. I am at the end of a journey I've spent 20 yrs to get to and reality is setting in that there is a great chance that it's not going to happen for us.
We will either know more with the pathology or be just as clueless as we are now.
Oh and now I've broken out in a rash with the cordyceps all over my face!! My acupuncturist wants me on it along with wheatgrass
and I disagree with helen I think with certain suppliments eg, maca, inositol, royal jelly  etc you can def improve egg health otherwise ivf doctors wouldnt put ladies on them !!
I am so incredibly sorry for what you have been through.  I've also had several miscarriages and I so understand your heartbreak.  I got lucky with pregnancy no. 6 at 40, so do not give up hope.  Since then I have miscarried 3 more times, and in our case have decided to move forward with embryo adoption (not the right decision for all, just the right decision for us). I have now had pretty much every test under the sun in my RE's (and prior to that my OB's) attempt to discover why this kept happening.  I would like to share some of that with you in hopes that perhaps it may help.

I had 4 d&c's.  In each of those cases, plus 1 of my natural losses the fetal tissue was tested.  There were no chromosomnal abnormalities found.  I probed further in my questioning and discovered that they really only test for the 3 most common....trisonomy 13, 18 and 21.  So the fact that nothing was found cannot truly exclude an abnormality, it just wasn't one of the one's tested for.  We underwent testing for genetic incompatability (rare, but it happens).  Again, nothing.  They have looked at my uterus from every possible angle - as I said, you name it, I've had it.  It truly is still a mystery.  The reality is that a lot of the time they just don't find anything.  It's just a combination of age and bad luck.  And my opinion is that of Helen's....I just do not believe there is a thing that can be done about it.  I don't mean to be a downer, it's just what my own personal search for answers has taught me.  I also mean no disrespect to the opinions of others.  

If I were in your shoes (and I have been), here is what I would do.  I would await all test results.  A few more months won't hurt anything.  Once you have all the information in hand, I would take that and make a decision from there.  In your situation, an alternative might well prove to be the answer.  Again, please do not take my response as a negative - I just want to see your dream fulfilled as I know very well how much pain you are probably in right now.

Again, I'm so sorry, and I wish you nothing but success in your journey.
Thank you all for your opinions. I understand that there are different opinions and that's exactly why I posted this question.
There are so many factors in our case, too lengthy to list here Properly so you got the full picture. I've had tons of testing 6 gyn surgeries and three ER's. 14 surgeries total by age 37. I feel like a lab rat. DH has severe factors too and we have to use a donor so some of the more specialized testing on the donors part is obviously out of reach. We will have genetIc testing results in a couple weeks along with the consult with the RE, his colleagues and the embryologist. I'm on meds for a couple months anyways. DH wants me to try again and I dont want to go thru another loss. Im not being negative just realistic. I know donor eggs are going to be brought up which I don't have a problem with except we won't be able to afford them after all the money spent. I have one last round of ivf paid for and has to be used by a certain time. If I wanted to purchase more Pre paid cycles I would have to have the paperwork in in a few months or I will be denied because of my age.
Thank you everyone for your opinions and sharing your research.
Best wishes to everyone wherever your at on this roller coaster ride.
Ginger, since you are using a donor for sperm already, why not try donor embryos instead of donor eggs?  It is less invasive and you don't have to pay for egg donor.

In the US I am pretty sure they test all chromosomes (a friend of mine had a m/c due to trisomy of chromosome 6 as it turned out after the lab testing) but since you actually saw a h/b I doubt lab testing will provide you with much more info.  Surgeries and scar tissue are not a factory with ivf; I have severe scar tissue from multiple prior surgeries. I think adgal is right, you just have to try again.  You came sooo close this time!
I wish you all the luck in the world.
Have you considered going to Mexico for IVF? I saw a reportage once and it was very impressive, they have IVF clinics that target Americans and Canadians for 1/3 of the price - with donor eggs.

Good luck, you're in a dark period now but stay hopefull!
I know scar tissue isn't an issue from the major abdominal surgeries I've had but ive read of the increased risk of MC associated with it along with several other risk factors I do have for MC's. That's concerning to me. I know the inside of my uterus is probably the best it can be with the large septum removed and the 4 surgeries total this RE has done in my uterus, he specializes in Ashermans so he's the prefect person to be working in there I think. We have so many different factors honestly I can't organize them well enough to relay here sadly right now my mind is just all over the place.
Donor eggs and embryos are not a problem for myself and probably not a problem with my husband judging by his willingness to use a donor currently but it is a huge issue family wise. Our families have no idea that we even want kids and certainly don't know a thing about these struggles or all these surgeries. It's been hard to hide with most our family living in the same city even. We had a match done with our donor and now he's retired so we will have to start the process over a third time. As far as donor embryos I'm guessing a match isn't going to be possible and donor eggs we simply can't afford. I know this may sound odd but privlidging our families with the information of a donor anything would be really bad. Especially on the child and I need to keep that in mind when making donor decisions. Of course the information would be shared with the child when he/she is old enough to understand but family won't be accepting and could really do emotional damage which I'm not willing to put my future child thru. It's just not fair for someone to grow up feeling bad about themselves as my mom would make sure she would ruin another life.
I understand how you feel, myfamily is the same way.

Don't let them stop you from achieving your dream though.

By the way, change in ivf protocol can make a difference in terms of quality / quantity you get per cycle.  I know that women who switched to protocols w/o Lupron got better results.
Yeah we don't do the Lupron protocols. RE likes to do as close to a natural cycle as possible. I wouldn't want to do a Lupron protocol.
I am glad, that stuff can have nasty side-effects.
Ok so this is a little off topic from the original question posted but since I do not know hardly anything about what the meanings of the genetic testing results I read a little. My understanding is that with most of the outcomes are an isolated occurance, is this correct?? If I had several MC's they wouldn't all be for the same reasons? And it was mentioned that if it was a female  embryo that chromosome analysis is not possible and they recommend genetic testing for the parent (which I have had and it was fine) so why cant they do a chromosome analysis on a female embryo?? And then like mentioned above we may it ever know why this happened.
So if a single persons MC can vary this greatly how the heck do you pin point the issues to correct the problem? I'm so confused!  

Oh and Ecologic I didn't mean to skip your post. I live about 3 hours from the Mexico border but no it wouldn't be something my husband would go for.  He only trusts this RE, we've been to so many places before we felt comfortable and so far he hasn't done us wrong, he's been successful with us twice, now I've got to stop loosing these precious babies.
Ginger,
If the tissue is female I guess they are afraid that they got YOUR tissue instead of the embryo.  If the tissue is male then it is definitely an embryo and not yours.  Therefore, often times when they do genetic analysis (like cvs) and they ask for mother's genetic material to make sure that two samples are different.
Oh Ok thanks
Ginger- I really suggest you getting the book "how to get pregnant" the link is below:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Pregnant-Sherman-Silber/dp/0316066508

This book helped me get an understanding on every level of infertility and how the body works.

From what I know, each chromosonal issue in a miscarriage is usually caused by egg age and division. The division process does not divide properly and thats when chromosones get stuck together causeing trisomy. Trismony "meaning more". Chromosone 21 is the most common cause it is the smallest chromsone and the easiest to stay connected and thats also why some of the times 21 can produce a baby, cause it its the smallest in effect. You can have trismony 15, 18, 21, 7...etc. Sometimes a translocation can take place but usually is casued by a parent having a translocation which is when they have the correct amount of chromsones but 2 of them are connected onto the wrong ones. It will not have effect till you try and have a baby and even then sometimes will not cause issues.
So to answer the question of a gentic issue being the same each time, its unlikey unless its caused but something you or your husband carry. Its usally the eggs guality.
As for the sperm, from what i read, miscarriages that carry out past 6 weeks are most likey not caused by sperm issues, seeing sperm issues are usually when either the head breaks off and doesnt divide causing it to be impossible for life function, and casues a very early miscarriage. Dont get me wrong it is possible for sperm to be the issue but its rare. Usually its issue without the parent being a carrier is turners syndrome, which would mean its a girl. Most cases of turners syndrome is when the x chromsone is missing which is the sperm. when the x chromosne is missing the pregnancy will miscarry.
That also would mean that female fetuses can be testing seeing they do find causes being turners. I hope this helps you somewhat and i really would recommend you gettting this book. This book also helped me threw my miscarriage.
Thank you
This is basically what I've read about. The part I wasn't aware of is it usually being the egg quality. The RE went thru a lot of this too the day of surgery but without labels if you will. He knows me too well by now and would know I would be driving myself crazy looking up things. He will share his findings and the solutions for them but not the "what it's". I read if my karyotype was done and normal if it were a female fetus they should be able to know if there was an abnormality it wasn't my tissue since my karyotype is normal.  The donors karyotype was normal too. We will have to choose a third donor if we do ivf again so if it were an issue of translocation and they could tell if your a carrier or not then it should show up on the karyotype preformed on me months ago. Is that correct?  
My main concern of the odds of having the same trismony repeatedly were answered and you verified them for me. Thank you!
As soon as we consult with the RE I will look into the book as well. I want to know exactly what applies to us and focus on that task and our future treatment if there is any.
If you and your donor had karyotype done then yes they would have known about a balanced translocation. So that should rule that out seeing you guys came back as "normal".  If you got new donors, then you would have them tested too.  
I had gentic testing done with my miscarriage and my results came back normal for my tissue but inconclusive for the fetus cause the fetus did not grow out to be tested. So I had no answers and was forced to do the reserach myself till I got to the point of comfort.  Thats really all you can do, read and get knowledge enough for you to have a comfortable understanding about it all so you  can pick yourself up and keep going forward.  One thing im sure you know, unless you find a :"specific" issue with youself like blood disorders (like me), progestrone, etc. Gentic issues is all chance and theres never a solution to that issue but strengh to keep trying.
I was on prednisone and lovenox to prevent blood clots and immun issues which I think got me the furthest I've made it in pregnancy. I'm sure he will do it again if he thinks there is a reason to try again.

I was just reading your concerns about costs which I totally understand.  We have just switched REs to CNY which offers two fresh IVF cycles including everything except your meds for $6000 with all the subsequent FETs included.  That is the only way we are able to do another cycle and just thought you might want to check it out.  The PGD is also significantly less at about $2800-3200.  Good luck to you!!!!
Vitex