Pregnancy 35+ Community
Quad Screen blood test - Positive for NTD

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Due to my age (40), my doctor wanted to do an Amnio test and we elected not to because we were afraid of the miscarriage risk.  So, the doctor then offered the Quad Screen test and we agreed to do that one. I had the Quad Screen blood test done on the 27th of October at 16 weeks and just got a phone call on Nov.4th and the nurse said the test was positive for NTD/Brain Damage.  I asked what the ratio was and she said 1/25.  They have set up an appointment for me to see a specialist for an ultrasound on the 20th of this month and then we also have the big ultrasound on the 24th with my regular doctor.

I know that the Quad Screen isn't as accurate as the Amnio but I'm extremely healthy and I wasn't expecting to get a reading like that (1/25).  Needless to say, I'm very concerned about it.  Has anyone had this kind of a result and what was the outcome?

Also, I don't understand why the doctor would send me 3 hours away for an ultrasound and then he himself do another one 4 days later?  It seems like he should be able to detect the same things as the other doctor doesn't it?

Scotland,
I know those numbers are scary and I do not know much about NTD, but with these tests...they are brutal.

FIRST, they are ONLY a "could be, maybe ratio" it is NOT a definate.  Many of us had same situations here. Adgal had 1:13 and myself had 1:8 "chances" for down.

If you were not goign to do Amnio, why bother with the NT Scan?  I think it just brings on unneccasary worry.

Perhaps the "specialist" (advanced maternal asge/high risk as we all are over 40) is the only one around in that area? They use a diffierent/ stronger type of equiptment and are more prepared for high risk...more experienced in reading AMA patients.  My DR is 10 minutes away and i have to go into Boston for my 18 weeks Level Two to a specialist which is an hour away.  Perhaps try and find one closer?  

You will be just fine...pls do not worry...
The doctor I'm being sent to is doing an ultrasound looking for defects.  I didn't do the Amnio because we knew there was a miscarrage (miscarriage) risk and we didn't want to take the chance so we did the Quad marker test.  

It is very hard not to worry.
Those are specialists who you are getting the U/S from...sometimes further away away unfortunatley. In the begining, the simple US are done at DR but them when you get higher into screening...you have to go elsewhere.

Quad markers have higher false poitives than an Amnio...amnio will give you straight answers.  These tests are not perfect.

I know it's hard not to worry, but most of us whom have had some kind of bad marker, it ends up to be perfectly fine. Just trying to give you the same advice given to every worried mom here as many situations turn out to be false positives.

Good luck and let us know what happens
Hi. I'm sorry you're worried & I can understand. I just recently tested in the positive range for possible Down's Syndrome & the women on this forum have made me feel so much better. I truly don't know how women got through ttc & pregnancy without such support ;) I go to a high risk doctor, too & will see her on Wednesday for an anatomy scan. That's probably what you're doing too. It's a longer, more detailed u/s where they identify anatomical markers for certain abnormalities. It's also done in 3-D, so you're looking at body parts rather than shadowing. I'm sure it'll be reassuring to see your little one. I know I'm looking forward to mine :) My ob/gyn did say that an anatomy scan alone can miss up to 20%, but if you're not doing an amnio, it's the next best thing & hopefully will give you some peace of mind. Take care & best wishes for your little one :)  
This comes up so often here, you are not alone.  As Court said, I tested 1:13 and she 1:8 for DS.  In my case I went with the amnio and all is just fine.  A guy I work with, his wife actually tested 1:2 for something to do with the brain due to both blood work and a soft marker.  That little girl is 2 years old and the cutest, healthiest little girl you have ever seen.  These tests only ever measure risk factor.  They are absolutely not diagnostic.  Put it this way....your little one has  a 96% chance of being just fine.  Your going to worry, I know that, but honestly, in all the so called positives I have read about here over the last 2 years, only 1 baby actually had something wrong.  It is still quite rare.  Take good care and let us know what you decide.  
I had amnio.I don't believe that it causes a MC...It's a good test if you wanted to know more about ur baby..

good luck
YOur right that amnio does not necessarily cause m/c, but there is a risk factor to having it, there is no question about it.  Published stats are 1:200 for miscarriage, but many clinics have much better odds then that.  
We got good news from the ultrasound!  No problems and a big, healthy baby girl!
That's fantastic!  Congratulations!
Congrats! That's wonderful news :-)
Great news!!  Congratulations!!!!