Pregnancy 35+ Community
Severe acid reflux help

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Severe acid reflux help

Anyone having acid reflux?
I always do when I lay on my side. I constantly burp and its discusting. I was taking tums and it didnt do much so my doctor told me to take gaviscon and its been helping a bit
Couple things to try...try not drinking during your meal. That may help some of it. Smaller meals more often may help too. And try eating earlier in the evening. Otherwise doc told me I can take 75 mg of zantac. It's been my life saver.
I have it so bad at night I can't lay down and it makes me sick at least once a week.
I've had acid reflux since i was 16. I'm 21 now and 37 weeks with my first and it's only gotten worse. It causes me to burp up food and bile. And sometimes it feels like the acid is literally burning through the inside of my throat. the Tums extra/maximum strength have been my life saver. i easy one before i eat a meal and after if necessary. I'll chew one up and wash it down with water. Don't ever take one with soda. It'll just fizz up and most likely come back up and out. I hope this helps
After four pregnancies I noticed that sugary drinks made it worse
laying on your left side should help to keep the flap closed that goes to your stomach from your esophagus. So your best bet is laying on that side. I have to lay on that side for the first hour or so, and then I can start rolling over.  What the strangest thing for me has been if I have dessert, I've been wanting rootbeer floats. And if I have one of those about 2-3 hours before dinner, it helps minimize the acid reflux. Still burp a bit, but it's not the acidic burning a hole through your gut type. I think it's a fluke. I've noticed most acidic drinks and juices I do have to stay away from even during the day unless I want bad heartburn.
Thank you All
.I'm going to definetly try all suggestions for relief
I used to have it really bad especially if I ate 1-2 hours before bedtime (I get really hungry) but ever since I started snacking instead of eating 3 meals a day its gotten better. Hasn't completely gone away... I still get it when I lay on my left side every night. It makes me dry heave really bad but nothing seems to work!
The thing that help me the most is drinking milk - it seems to work even better than tums.  Eating smaller, more frequent meals also helps.
This is an horrible sensation I remember when it happened to me , I dint even wan to eat because of the felling, you can try to eat MENTHOL pills someone told me that it helps GOOD LUCK
Im 33 weeks pregnant now ans have had acid reflux for the past 8 years. I was popping tums left and right until my doctor told me it was too much calcium for the baby taking too many tums. She gave me a perscription for an antacid and i can take up to 2 per day although Ive noticed I only need one. I think it was something Rite aid makes. But ask your doctor if there ia something other than tums.
Milk or also yogurt can help.  I have been having this a bit too, which for me seems to be a burning in my throat.  It's no fun, but it hasn't been constant, and doesnt seem to connect to any one thing I eat or don't eat.  I don't drink sugary drinks, and rarely drink juice.  My favorite drink lately has been Spicy V8, and that doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other either, so who knows.  Good luck!
Gaviscon dual action, avoiding cakes / pastry / crisps / fatty foods and fizzy drinks have all made it bearable. Had is from nearly 30 weeks and at 40 weeks I still have it but no way near as much. Most days are manageable without the gaviscon now but some days I need the gaviscon or I'd be sick. Hope yours eases x