Pregnancy 35+ Community
Sharp pain in pelvic bone or vaginal wall?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

or in that general area anyway.  It's weird, only lasts a second or two, but I will get 2 or 3 in a row.  Mostly on the left.  Is this normal?  I thought maybe stretching, but wouldn't that be more along the sides of my uterus?  As always, happy for any info or advice...this is quite strange, and of course, new to me.  Thanks.
our body right now is trying to make room for baby...If you have sharp pain just for quick second, then I think it's normal... If the pain persistent and more intense,  then you might want to call your doctor.

good luck
I think you're okay - I got tons of sharp, quick pains like you described - it was weird.  I didn't know what to think & I remember thinking should I call my doctor or what.  I don't have much advice except if it's really bothering you, you could take some Tylenol.  I remember once taking a warm bath to see if that would help (it didn't).

Maybe some others will have some ideas - hope it gets better! - jen
Thanks ladies.  It is not constant, happens once or twice a day, 2 or 3 in a row sharp and quick, then gone.  And not overly painful either, just strange.  At first I was worried I was dialating or something, but I don't think so.  My only experience with dialation was when they gave me those meds to help me miscarry, but it wasn't like this.  Also, there is no bleeding (Thank God!!) at all.  It's just more strange....glad to know others have had it though and all turned out well!  I appreciate it.
wow, I get the same thing!  I also got them with Sofia so that's why I wasn't on here freaking out :-)  It's everything stretching and getting ready for baby :-)
I have been getting the same thing. I read that our pelvic, hip, and even ribs are all expanding now to make room for baby so I figure that must be what it is. It is all normal and guess what???? We are as good as there!!!! 12 weeks!!!!
Yep, it is that weird vaginal ache/pain that I think I mentioned on another post. It is so weird and doesn't feel like round ligament pain at all because it doesn't feel like stretching but rather an achy twinge. I had them with both pregnancies and it was in my Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy book, which by the way I think you would love as it goes through week by week and is much more geared to symptoms and baby growth than other books I read.

Happy Mommyhood Amanda! ; )
Thanks for all the responses.  Honestly, hearing those words..'Yep, I had that too and all is fine" is music to my ears!  t, I think I might look for that book, sounds better then any of the ones I have.  Thanks again!
Had it and still have it some times hurts like crazys feels like some one is putting a nail threw my pelvic bone,,so hang in there hugs julia
Yes, it's normal.  The pain may be caused by the egg being released from your ovary, in which case may be your left ovary.  Next time you have an u/s ask which ovary the egg was released.  If it was in fact your left ovary, you will notice more disomfort and mild pain in your lower left region.  Both my pregnancies, each egg detached from my left ovary.  I asked my OB and he said what I just mentioned to you.  Enjoy the pain...oops, I'm sorry : )!!!!! You know each symptom you have along the way, especially the ones that cause complaining, I'm smiling ear to ear...ONLY because it's a good sign and it's very normal!!!!  XO  Pam
I got them all the time with Gav Man and my OB told me that my body was going through so make changes and making room for a human to grow in our body.  Come on Amanda the baby needs to be comfy in there too :)  

Enjoy the pain it's a good pain.

Love Ya - Smile
Debbie
Amanda-  I had those too- and I think that Mayo will send you that book for free....  contact them, or check out their website....  I might be wrong, but I remember them mailing me one, and I don't think I paid for it!
I can walk over and get the book for you. I work at Mayo! ;) I have the book from the last pregnancy and they offered me another with this one but I declined. I should've taken it and given it to you! It's an expensive book. One of my doctors wrote some of it!
I get sharp pains down there too.. i mentioned it to the nurse and she said it can be from their head or their feet hitting the cervix..  
It is still weird for me to think of something SO little at the beginning of the pregnancy moving, having feet...  already having free will to do what they want (within limits of being attached to you!).....  once you get further along and you can see the baby move, feel the baby move, it isn't so mind blowing,  but at the beginning it was always such a strange thought/feeling to me that they are so little, but so real!  

I can send you my copy if you have to pay for it...  I am done with those books, but it is a great book!  BIG and HEAVY!
You ladies are truly the best!  My dh thanks you too as my neurosis seems to be contagious...every time I mention a new little pain or symptom his response is "is that normal, what did your MedHelp friends say...lol" Don't be shocked if he starts posting questions...ha!  I don't think he would, but sometimes he is tempted I am sure.    Jen and Tator, I sure appreciate you offering to mail that book to me if you don't mind.  Send it collect if you really don't mind.  I say collect because it will be a little more costly mailing it to Canada, and if you send it collect I can pick it up from the post office and pay the charges then.  If you really don't mind, then let me know and I will send you my info.  Otherwise I will contact the mayo clinic and see if they will mail to Canada.  Thanks for the reassurance.  I guess it's a good thing that my body is starting to show signs of stretching.  I am having all sorts of little pains that are obviously stretching sensations along the sides of my new belly, next to the inside of my upper thigh, but these ones in the vaginal wall area didn't really make sense to me, so it's good to know everyone seems to have experienced them.  XOXO
Tator, are you going to send yours or should I? I don't mind either way. Just let me know! Adgal, I have all sorts of weird pains. It amazes me that even though this is my SIXTH (man, I can't even believe that!!) pregnancy (well, 7th if you count my miscarriage), I still get those stretching pains and weird twinges here and there, even like the ones you are describing. You would think after this many times my body would give in and recognize pregnancy and especially wouldn't have anymore stretching to do!
thats totally normal!!! i started getting those pretty early on, especially when walking.. and my friend actually said there was a name for them! - crotch lightning!!! when she said that it described it perfectly! it ususally happens when i was up and about.. for a brief second, but ouch! but totally normal! :)   i havne't been getting them as often since week twenty or so though.. Congrats! : )  
well-  it might be cheaper for you to send your jen, since you are closer to canada-  but I can go price it from here-  and then we can decide!  I really don't mind sending mine-  I'll check on costs, and you can do the same!  
You two are incredibly sweet to be willing to do this.  But honestly, if it is a pain in the butt, please don't go out of your way.  Also, you never know...you may need it again!!!  Thanks so much you two, you are the nicest!!  
Nope, getting my tubes tied in the hospital. It would have to be a miracle baby! I am DONE! I'll check on it here, too.
Amanda, did you check with Mayo yet? I would check with them first. They may be able to send you a free one. I can check, too. PM me your address.
yeah,  you'll have to PM me your address too, so I can price it!  I don't mind-  and I hope to never do it again!  :)  even with my last pregnancy I never looked at the books-  I figured I survived the first!  :)  
Ok, thanks ladies.  I actually pm'ed you both my address, but please, if you do send it, make sure to send it collect.  I can pick up the charges on this end.  I really really appreciate this!!!  XOXO
I didn't get it...   email me at corrina.***@****
Okay-  mine is a book, hard bound, compliments of "your state farm agent"  called "Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy & Baby's First Year"....   I guess I got it from an insurance agency-  but I don't carry state farm?!  Anyway-  is this the book you have jen?  and that e-mail is corrina dot green at att dot net  sorry it got bleeped.
try this...  State Farm is giving away the Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy & Baby's First Year for expectant parents and parents to a child of under one year. This is a real book, an excellent book, a thick hardback book. You don't have to be a customer of State Farm's to get the book. If you are expecting or know someone who is, this book is available to you. Really nice! Try this link or call 1-888-SF Event.

link on... http://www.virushead.net/babyboo/bbfreestuff.html
or, try http://freebies.about.com/od/pregnancyfreebies/Pregnancy_Freebies.htm

and if you have no luck,  I'll send mine your way-  I don't mine sending mine- but if you don't have to pay for it, the better!  :)
Thanks, I am going to look up those links.  It sounds like a good book!!!
Wow, am I ever glad that I had previously read this thread.  Last night I awoke to a sharp pain running from the top of my uterus straight down to the vagina.  Ouchy!  It was literally 1 second.  I rolled over and went back to sleep, though I did have a fleeting moment where I thought I might be miscarrying when I remembered having read this and then put it out of my mind.  Thanks girls!
I never got your address either? Strange!
Anyhow, let me know if you get anywhere with that State Farm link. Mine isn't hardcover, but it is the same thing as tator's.