Pregnancy 35+ Community
Should I be worried?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Should I be worried?

I am 42 and have been TTC#2 for 11 months (I conceived my son when I was 39).  In these 11 months I had one chemical pregnancy and a ton of BFN's.  So I was beyond elated to finally get a very faint BFP on Friday - I would have been been 11-13 DPO, depending on when conception actually happened but I am pretty sure that I ovulated on the 19th, making it 13 DPO - so not great to have such a faint BFP.  I have tested each am since with those internet cheapies and I still get a BFP but it is still very faint and takes than 5-7 minutes to show ( the longest 5 minutes ever!!) - also it has gotten no darker - not at all.  Because I was worried I ran out yesterday and also got a FRER and also took that this am - it turned positive within seconds and is definitely visible, much darker than the other tests. While this gives me comfort, I can't help but worry that the other tests are showing that my HCG is not rising properly and of course, my OB does not have an opening until the 11th.

Has anyone had experience with those internet cheapies giving faint BFP's?  Is the fact that they are not getting darker cause for alarm.  I know that at my age I am at a pretty high risk of miscarriage.

thanks  
Yay!!! Huge congrats my friend, that is fantastic news!!  

Yes, the internet cheapies are usually fainter longer.  Most of them turn positive at a much higher HCG level then say FRER does.  And honestly, I have even had a couple of positives, then a negative with those which is why i stopped using them.  They really stressed me out. They don't seem to be as consistent as FRER or even ClearBlue.  

Those tests are intended to be qualatative, not quantative.  Unless the result turns negative, they really aren't a great way to monitor HCG levels.  You can even have 2 tests in the same pack give a different result, or different degree of darkness.  You are past AF due date right?  And it's still showing positive?  I honestly wouldn't worry too much (of course you will though, it's what we do right?).  Even though your OB doesn't have an opening until the 11th, could you get a lab request from her/him for a quantative hcg?  Or even 2 of them?  My OB was good for that - when we are "of advanced maternal age" and have a history of loss, it means so much to have our minds put at ease.  Otherwise, I would wait a few days, then try another FRER.  The problem with trying them daily in early pregnancy is that your levels are usually still pretty low, and depending on what the test is rated at, the line change can be minimal, and not necessarily obvious.  A few days can really make a difference.

I'm so happy for you sweet lady, and sending loads of positive thoughts your way!!   Stick little bean, stick!! xoxo
Congratulations.  Adgal said it all really, so I'll just agree :)   And I did do what she has suggested to you:  when I found out I was pregnant, I called and asked to just come in for blood draw, and I was able to go in the next day. Actually, they told me I could come in that afternoon but I couldn't bc of work.  That would be worth trying out.

I wonder about those tests sometimes.  I found out I was pregnant on a Sunday, and bc I wasn't trying and was so shocked (I"m 45) I went out and bought 3 different brands and ended up taking 6 tests on sunday and monday.  Some came out really really dark, and a few of them came back as dark, but not nearly as dark as others.  My blood was taken on Tuesday and my hcg came back at 18,762, so you'd think all the tests should have been very very dark. I think, (and this is me giving advice that I've never taken LOL) it's best that when you get a positive, stop testing.  But yeah, I know that's easier said than done :)

Good luck, hun!!
Thanks so much guys.  You made me feel much better - those faint lines were turning me into a POAS junkie - and how tempting with an entire bag of them right there!  With my son, I tested once when I was three days late and it was an obvious positive and I never tested again.  But now I am more worried about loss - mainly because of my age - so the obsessing starts.  But it is so reassuring to hear that the internet cheapies tend to require a higher HCG and are inconsistent.  And I love the advice to request just a blood draw for an ACG check - I am sure that this will work.

Amanda - Yes, AF is late and is showing no signs but I also don't have any real pregnancy signs yet either (but I know it is still pretty early).  And yes, I am really thrilled.  Thanks so much for the well wishes - it means a lot.

saraanon - 45 and a BFP - you are my hero!  Congrats. How far along are you now?  Are things going well?
hi i just  wanted to say. congrats.  surely sounds as if your pregnant. wishyou happy healthy pregnancy and baby:-D I'm almost 21 weeks with number five I'll be38 Next month. iwas so surprised to learn I'm pregnant again, I've got four oldest will be 18onlyacouple weeks before my baby girl comes,  that i took five tests lol  they slowly got darker. best of luck
I know how you feel.  With my other pregnancies only took 1 test after missing AF; this time I just wanted to keep taking them.  One reason I think it was a day or so before AF when I took the 1st and then the whole age and miscarriage thing.  Used the $ store tests and even though my HCG level should have been around 200 at the time; barely got a line.  Good luck with the beta!
I only used the dollar tree brand pregnancy test to confirm my current pregnancy.  Im a testing nut,  so i bought like 10 and tested from 3 days before expected period to a week after.  On the day of my expected period,  i tested and got a bfn.  Then next day,  still got a bfn.  At 16dpo (2 days past my expected period),  i got a very,  very,  very faint positive.  I had to hold the test up to the light,  and still it was barely visible.  I tested the next day,  the same result.  Two more days,  it just got a touch darker.  It wasnt until a week past my expected period that i got a darker positive.  Hope this helps.