Pregnancy 35+ Community
Sperm count issues...ISO moral support

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Sperm count issues...ISO moral support

It's been 6 months since we started trying.  Because I have 2 children from a previous marriage and have donated eggs a few years ago (with much success), I have been assumming that the "issue" isn't me.  My hubby (has has no children) went for testing and discovered that his SC is low-normal.  The doctor wasn't overly concerned, but indicated that daily intercourse is not recommended under the circumstances.  We have been together for almost 3 years, married in June, and we are still very much "newlyweds".     If anyone else has dealt with the same issue, how long did you "try" before you got pregnant or are you still trying?
0%
 (0) 
0-6 months
0%
 (0) 
6-12 months
0%
 (0) 
12+ months
0%
 (0) 
Still trying...
0 Members voted
I understand your frustration, my new partner has no children, and I have 2 from my previous marriage, so the 'issue' wasn't me. Turns out he had bad sperm morphology, so not enough normal ones to get through! We tried for 7 months, and.since we don't have age.on our sides(I'm 37) we started IVF. Well, lo and behold, the moment we stopped trying, I fell pregnant!! It was an absolute.miracle, but it happened. Now o truly believe people when they say stop stressing about it, and it will happen. But if you truly are concerned about it not happening, maybe look into IVF, its helped so many :)
Just wanted to add, I got.pregnant naturally! The month I was supposed to start the cycle was the month I got pregnant. I think knowing that I was just about to ovulate helped too. Also, we were taking prenatal vitamins, he was taking Menevit, maybe this helped?
Hello firstly I wanted to thank you for being an egg donator that is awesome you are one wonderful human being.  Without people like you I could not be on my journey so Respect!

Secondly my hubby had sperm issues, motility and quality. He spent 4 years taking special vitamins from a health shop and tried to rebalance his diet, but could not as a farmer do much about his energy, we had trouble having sex as he was so tired! I had to chase the poor man around our bedroom and sadly it got boring! Then he tried Accupuncture and his motility improved after 3 months.  I did conceive but sadly miscarried again, we were considering IVF with ICSI and other quality deciding tests, however in the end due to expense we chose embryo adoption at Institute Marques of Barcellona, the sperm donor was 22. My husband is 47 and had handled industrial pesticides all his life as did his father and grandfather, I think this is why he had low quality sperm. Interestingly it took his parents 9 years to conceive, and the next door farmer took 8 years ! So diet and Accupuncture maybe ?

Regards sex every other day, we were advised this too, I order to build up quality, he had plenty of sperm but they were malformed and most just sat there in the petri dish doing nothing!  I will quietly add that he slowly got his head around using a sperm donator. Watching Rafal Nadal win at tennis helped as he joked about such a fit Spainish man! I think he started to wonder then, also he did not want to pass on his dodgy sperm reproductive genetics! He is a farmer and selects bull sperm regularly from catalogues so this helped bridge his opinion.  I decided to involve him as much as possible in the pregnancy which is difficult with his schedule, but he now synchronises his phone alarm for the pessaries, (but does not take that further) he replaces my patches on my torso, he writes notes and makes diary entries, he is going to attend the scans so he will be 'pregnant' too, he is excellent with calving his cows so we have giggled about cutting the cord and modifying his delivery technique! So that's one to consider if the sperm continue to be an issue, but I realise that most men want a genetic connection. Good luck x
Thank you for your response to my post.  I am considering IUI, provided I can make sure my insurance covers it.  There are laws in my state about covering such things, but then the question remains, does the insurance company have to abide by them, because my company is based in another state.  At the end of the day, cost is a factor, so we will have to do a little research, and in order to qualify, we will have to have been trying for a year to qualify anyway.  Tomorrow begins day 1 (it seems like) of a new cycle, so fingers crossed!
Thank you for your response to my post.  As far as sperm donation, I am fairly certain this would be cost prohibitive for us and I'm fairly sure that even if it wasn't, I wouldn't consider it.  We are both farmers too, so I do get that whole "selection" thing, but I just don't think for us emotionally or financially that's an option.  I also think I would consider adoption first.

As far as birthing, my second child was a planned, and very successful home birth, and my ex c"caught" the baby and cut the cord, so don't rule that out...LOL.

Take care!
We had multiple issues including "low normal" SC and after 3 years went to RE for assistance.
Good luck!