Pregnancy 35+ Community
That sunburned feel

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

That sunburned feel

Around my 34th week of pregnancy I began to swell all over, mainly my feet. Within a 2 week period I had gained 15 pounds of water weight. This concerned my caregiver so I was given a 24 hour urine test and blood test to see if I might have preeclampsia. Everything checked out fine and my blood pressure is still within normal levels, but I continue to swell (hands, face, feet, and especially my left foot) and gain about a pound every other day. I also feel like I've been sunburned. My whole body is red, tender, and I feel feverish (exactly like I had stayed in the sun too long). The areas include my scalp, my hands, the soles of my feet, and my eyelids. I don't go out in the sun and have been slathering on the sunscreen. When I asked my nurse about this 'sunburned' feel, she says it's probably just my skin stretching. Do you have any suggestions as to what might be going on?
It does sound like you are experiencing "Edema" or fluid retention.  This is most common in the 3rd trimester.  Luckily your BP is ok, often Edema and HBP are mistaken for the same.  Edema can also give you that tight skin feeling.  To get some relief you should elevate your feet often, lay on your left side, and not wear restricting clothing (bras, socks).  Drink lots of water, and lay off the salt.  Try soaking in a lukewarm bath then applying some soothing lotion like Aveno.  This miraculously goes away after your baby is born.  Take care!