Pregnancy 35+ Community
The Business of Being Born

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

The Business of Being Born

I though this was a WONDERFUL documentary!!  Way over due.  Pardon the pun.  :)

www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com

Highly recommended!!!!!

Fugitive
oh i agree, made me cry at the thought of went i went through without need.  there is another one in the making and i cant wait to see it.  there is another film, not as great but with fantastic info, Born in America.  
I am so happy & proud that women are finally raising their voices!!
we need to, its so scary to hear the stats on c section in the U.S.  
YES!! I adore this film and have watched it many times and shown it to others.
A friend and I even went to see a local screening of it, and Ricky Lake + Abby Epstein were there to do a panel discussion afterwards, along with an OBGYN and two midwives who are all local to my area.

It really is a wonderful film. There are two others I love which are well worth watching. One is called Orgasmic Birth and the other is called What Babies Want: An Exploration of the Consciousness of Infants.

I've watched all of these films many times.

For more positive natural birth stories, you can also check out the writings of Ina May Gaskin. (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and Spiritual Midwifery. The latter was written decades ago and is full of funny 70's era lingo and pictures of people with copious body hair, but the stories are still very uplifting. :))

P.S. One of the things that prompted me to look into natural birth more is that the c-section rate in my county has hit 50% (!!!). I'm not sure what the induction rate is but it is probably also very high.
Wow!  50%!!  Good Lord!

I work in medical education at a world renown institution.  We are implementing sweeping changes to the structure & goals of medical education & I am going to make some written suggestions that our students rotating through the OB/Gyn required clinical clerkship be required to witness a natural birth.  Whether a home birth or one at a local birthing center, they should be exposed to a drug-free unencumbered natural birth.  I think that this could have a profound effect on their perspective on and approach to births that require intervention.
Fugitive you are my HERO!!! It is totally insane to me that 99.9% of OB/GYN residents NEVER witness a fully natural childbirth!
Simple changes like that that become revolutionary and bring about huge improvements in birth outcomes.

I am a medical massage therapist and sometimes I help out as a TA when the owner of the school that I attended teaches courses at our local university's medical school. She teaches a two-part course on myofascial pain and dysfunction, and it is amazing to see the impact that it has on first-year medical students. They are otherwise not trained in something as simple as muscle pain, and how it can mimic organ or joint dysfunction. We hope that this will inspire them to consider non-pharmaceutical treatments for their future patients, before just prescribing a painkiller.

I really believe that mainstream medical care in the U.S. is in crisis due to the undue influence of big pharma and the for-profit insurance industry, so any changes we can make to the minds of these up-and-coming new docs are desperately needed!

Like I said, you are my hero! I hope your proposed changes are implemented!
Thanks!  But I'm not all that.  I'll be lucky if they listen to me.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress!