Pregnancy 35+ Community
Trisomy 13

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Trisomy 13

I am 41 yrs old.  I am 13 weeks pregnant and had a nuchal fold measurement of 5.6 with no signs of nasal bone.  CVS done last week and I received the call this morning that the baby was Trisomy 13 and not viable to life.  Anyone else been through this?  We would like to conceive again, what are the chances of this happening again? Not sure I could go this hell again.

Thanks so much for your stories as I am heartbroken!
Growing is suppose to be going thru. Darn auto correct.
you have an extremely good chance of having a healthy baby the next time round, your only 41 and although they say the risk is higer you still have a really good chance, I  had a baby at 40 then another at 41, then 2 miscarriages (egg quality) then last year at 44 had another healthy baby in may, then in nov another miscarriage, so am trying again. I will be 45 next month, am taking a pre-conception vitamin, royal jelly caps, coq10 and evening primrose oil, in may I will start taking dhea suppliments, cut down on caffine or stop altogether and def cut down on alcohol as well
Thank you so much Stacey! I go for my D & E next week.... this is so difficult
yes it is a very hard experience to go thru, and especially having to wait until next week, but on the positive side at least this will give you time to get your head around what is happening and hopefully it will be abit less traumatic for you, as you will have already started your grieving, try and keep in my that your little bub would have little to no chance of being born alive ,  your doing whats right for all of you, good luck for a healthy pregnancy next time round and start tyring again when your ready, you will know when that is, take care
I recently lost a baby due to trisomy 18, she had stopped growing at 11 weeks. I turned 43 two months ago and for me I don't think there is much hope for an other child, particularly as this was my 4th miscarriage.

You are only 41... that's a big difference! I would say you still have good chances of getting pregnant and of having a healthy baby!

Courage for the D&C, it's a sad time.
I am so very sorry.

I'm so very sorry for what you are going through.  I can only imagine how devastating news like that must be.  When calculating odds prior to testing, the fact that you had a baby with trisonomy 13 does add a very slight increase to your odds the next time around.  However, in reality, it is unlikely that would happen.  Sadly most chromosomnal abnormalities end in miscarriage...it is the main reason for miscarriage.

In our 40's we do have a higher risk of miscarriage, but there are lots of happy endings.  I had a few miscarriages, then a healthy baby boy at 41.  So the odds are still in your favor that you can have a healthy baby.

Again, I am sorry for what you are going through and I wish you well.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Trisomy 13 down syndrome?  If it is, you could still have a healthy baby, right?  downsyndrome children are the most loving, sweetest babies.    
trisomy 21 is down syndrome, trisomy 13 and 18 usually do not survive in the womb and if they do the usually do not live for long afterwards, downs is the only one of the 3 chromesome abnormalities that can have a reasonably normal life
Thanks for all the comments! The doctor is surprised that I haven't miscarried already....in a way I wish I would....would make things a little easier.  The hardest part now is waiting till next week for the D and E.  I can already feel the little quivers in my stomach from the baby moving around and I have a fetal doppler and can listen to the heartbeat.  This is so tough.... all I want to do is go to sleep and wake up and hope it was just a dream!  My heart is breaking.....
I know.  Losing a baby is so incredibly difficult emotionally.  Been there.  I always found it helped a lot to talk about it with others that had also been through it.  Please know we are here for you.
I am so sorry for your what you are going thru as adgal said it is difficult but talking about it makes this easier to deal with. I like other who have posted also mc several times. I had 3 consecutive mc 2007, 2008 and 2009, but in 2010 at the age of 42 one month shy of 43 I had a beautiful healthy baby girl. Since then I had another mc this last Nov. I am now 44. I hope that in time you heal from this pain.
I couldn't imagine what you are going thru right now.  I know what you mean about wanting to wake up and find out that it was a bad dream.  My thoughts are with you right now.  
arrgghh you have to stop using the doppler, you will send yourself crazy!!! I think your right in saying that it would be easier if you miscarried, but your doing the only thing you can do, if you dont have a d&c you may have to deliver your baby at 16 wks + and that would also be an extremely hard thing to have to go thru as well, carrying your baby until he/she passes, so please try and remember your not doing anything wrong, its an awful situation to be in, this little bub has come to you for a reason and sometimes that maynot be apparent right now, I would start talking to your baby if your not already and just let bub know how loved he/she is and if it helps keep your u/s pictures because this baby will always be aprt of your life and your family x
I am so sorry, I had a miscarriage but very early on, and it was so painful.  I cannot imagine what you are feeling.  I am truly sorry for your loss.
Just reading your post and the comments made me tear up.  My heart goes out to you.  So sorry.  Blessings for a happier future outcome.
Thanks to you all for your sweet comments and advise.....still waiting for the D and E procedure to be scheduled.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. After the d&c just take one day at a time and be ready for some symptoms from the drop in hormones. I underestimated what that would be like.

Take care.
So.... I got the call today, my procedure is set for Wednesday.  I was also told my little one is a GIRL!  So many thoughts running through my head at this time but one sticks out over them all...... I will never rock her to sleep.  Please continue to keep me in all of your thoughts and prayers.....
You are so in my thoughts and prayers. I honestly cannot even imagine the pain you are in (((hug)))

I read some about Trisomy 13 after I read your post...so incredibly, unimaginably sad. I found a website that offers Trisomy 13 education and support...trisomy13 .org I think it was...good info
correction it was livingwithtrisomy13 .org
I am a bit surprised that they waited so long to schedule the D&C, knowing the results. I have had 2 D&Cs and they were always scheduled for the next day - it makes it a bit easier psychologically.

I'll keep you in my thoughts!
thinking of you x
You are in my thoughts as well.  I just had 2 miscarriages in a row and had DNC's both times. And I understand the pain and frustration on waiting and loss. *hugs* to you!
You are in my thoughts!
I just recently had 2 miscarriages in a row and had DNC's both times.  I understand the frustration on waiting and loss.  *hugs* to you.
Have you done any research on cvs?? You might want to look into some of the controversies surrounding this test.  I have a friend who had this test and was misdiagnosed with trisomy 18. She went for a second opinion and waited foe the amnio, which has a much better diagnostic success rate. Needless to say she had a healthy baby. I am NOT trying to give false hope,  bit this particular test is controversial.  The theory is that the placenta "quarenteens" bad cells so you will get a high level of false positives. There may be a reason you haven't miscarried yet. Just put your mind at ease and look into it.
But, given the nuchal fold and nasal bones in conjunction with the CVS, they test may be correct.  I am so sorry.  I know it must be heartbreaking.
FISH results are positive also.....
I am sorry...This must be so hard for you.  
This has truly been the most difficult thing that I have ever had to go through in my entire life.  Thanks to all your sweet comments as they have brought me much comfort.
I am sorry to hear what you are going through, don't give up hope...
God bless.
English,

My heart goes out to you.  I am at 22 weeks and my little girl has been diagnosed with Trisomy 18.  It has been the most painful thing I have ever endured--this would have been my husband's first child (my second but I really wanted to give him one).  Know that everything you're feeling is OK; I have gotten great support at the trisomy18.org site.  As someone already mentioned, I can see that livingwithtrisomy13.org has a support forum as well.  Take advantage of connecting with others who have suffered through this.  Many of them have wonderful happy stories about subsequent successful pregnancies after the loss of their child.

My own procedure is scheduled for tomorrow.  It is the hardest decision I have ever made, but I understand why it needs to be done.  My thoughts are with  you for a speedy medical--and emotional--recovery.
am thinking of you both
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. We had to make the same decision in 2009 with a natural pregnancy and positive for trisomy 18, and just had D&C last week at 10 weeks after U/S without heartbeat after a donor egg transfer.
The outpouring of support from my MH friends has been a tremendous comfort to me. Please reach out of you need to talk! Hugs!!
My thoughts are with the both of you...im so sorry for your losses :(
I am thinking of both of you on this day and what you are growing thru.  I am sending you loving thoughts.  
So my procedure has come and gone.  I miss the little girl I never got to hold or see so much.  I take one day at a time as that's all I can seem to do at this point in my life.  I thank God that her heart stopped on it's on a couple of days before my D & E, made things a little easier to take.  This was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to face in my whole life.  I look forward to the months to come as I will try again for the baby I so desperately want.
I have been thinking about how the two of you have been getting along, I wasnt sure if you would come back on to post and glad that you have,  I have to agree with you, thank goodness your little one passed by herself, that would be a little (not much) comfort to know, but in a way makes it a little bit more bearable.... it will take time, but when your ready, you will know, I wish you all the best for both your  physical and emotional recovery, we are all here for you :)