Pregnancy 35+ Community
Von Willebrands

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Von Willebrands

Anyone on this site have Von Willebrand's Disease? If so or if you know how Von Willebrand's effects pregnancy or childbirth in any way, please do share. Thanks.
I have a college that was diagnosed with von Willebrands syndrome during/after?  her first pregnancy. It was scarey since she had alot of post partum hemorrhaging (bleeding) but she and her son are fine. Now she is pregnant with her second child.

I know there are 3-4 types of von Willebrands syndromes - all vary in severity. You should talk to a hemotologist or at least get a hemotologist to talk with your doctor about preventing complications.

I believe taking iron supplements are extremely important due to the anemia that can occur during pregnancy. You need to take more than the "normal" dosage so you must talk with a doctor about this. Plus folic acid and vitamin B12 are also important when one has a bleeding disorder.

Sorry I could not be of more help

I should think I'm a bit late answering this now but I have Von Willebrands and have two children. If you still need info I'll be happy to try and help
i know im a bit late on responding to this, but here goes for anyone that has the same kinda question... i have von willebrands, i was told that i should never have any kids cause of the risks... i have a high case of it, and they said the chance of living through a delivery would be slim... but i got pregnant, and an abortion was out of the question, one cause i choose to have sex even though we didnt have anything to prevent it at that time and two cause it was just as risky if not more risky... so they found a way with the help of my hemotologist and a perinatologist... sure i had more dr apts than someone without von willebrands, but well worth it... the safest way they found for me to have my son was through a c-section...  i have 3 kids,  c-section with all 3... the pregnancies its self went fine... another thing they advised was to donate blood to myself during the pregnancy for just in case pruposes... i never did need it tho.. now after the c-sections i was very weak longer than what someone that didnt have von willebrands cause of loosing so much blood... but doctors know alot more about von willebrands now compared to 12 years ago. my best advice is to talk to your doctor... every question and/or concern you have... just ask, after all your questions and concerns are best answered by them... theres different types of von willebrands and each persons levels vary from one person to another... so what happened with me may be different in comparrison...