Pregnancy 35+ Community
What are my chances with a Tubal Reversal at 38

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I'm 38 and had a tubal ligation 8 years ago.  I'm wanting to get a reversal and then try to get pregnant right away.  What are my chances?  I read one article that said with my age and a reversal I'd only have a 5% chance.  I've requested my records be sent to a doctor to review and I've been reading a ton of stuff on the internet, most of which says at my age I shouldn't be having a baby.  I love this site, there has been a lot of positive comments.  Just looking for more encouraging words.  
I have to agree with sixplus.  There is some great info out there, you just have to be careful.  It's always good to know the possible negatives, but you cannot let them frighten you either.  Here's how I always looked at it.  At any age, in any pregnancy or attempt to conceive, things can go wrong.  It's always a bit of a roll of the dice.  However, just as often, everything goes right, and many of the stories you hear are from people who have had a tough time.  So you kind of need to weed through it.  

I can also tell you that if I had believed everything I ever read, I would not have my son.  I did have a bit of a tough go of it, and would have given up.  But I focused on all the success stories, and really leaned on the women here.  It got me through it and I am so glad I hung in there.  My son was worth it, no question about it.

Make sure you find a supportive Dr. to work with.  You want one who will be honest with you, even if it's not always what you want to hear.  But at the same time, you don't want one who only talks about the possible negatives.  It's so important to make sure that they recognize this is important to you, and truly are acting in your best interest.  For example, you don't want one who will just do the tubal reversal if your best shot is IVF, know what I mean?  We are so fortunate to live in a time that even those of us who had or have fertility challenges have so many options now.  As for odds...remember your not a statistic.  Everyone is different.  I know women 38 and much older who have conceived with no problem and breezed through their pregnancy.  And I know others who had to pursue a different route, but still wound up having their dream come true.  

I hope you hang around here, and that this site is as helpful and supportive for you as it has been for me.  I look forward to hearing about your journey and hopefully being able to help support you through it. It's what we are all about around here.  
Everyone is so different.  I can tell you that 38 is not considered old to have a baby, so not sure what the 5% stat is referring to.  Maybe the actual success rate of a tubal reversal?  As for stuff on the internet saying you shouldn't have a baby at 38?  Why on earth not?  Around here that is the norm.  I had my son (healthy, perfect and amazing if I do say so myself) at almost 41 and lots of other women do the same.  I am now 42 and the statistics for a naturally conceived full term pregnancy at my age are still 50% (according to my RE).

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes.  I would see an RE first.  Some quick tests can help you decide the best choice for you.  There are really 3 different options available.  The first is the tubal reversal and try to conceive naturally.  Secondly, skip the reversal and go directly to IVF with your own eggs (cost is probably close to that of tubal reversal), and thirdly, go straight to IVF with donor eggs.  An RE can look at the whole big picture and help you decide which route makes the most sense, and gives you the highest probability of conception and a healthy pregnancy.

Now, on to rule no. 1...though shalt not google!  The internet is full of scary stories.  Most of us that have had success don't post it as much as we should.  But trust me, I have been on this forum a very long time, and there are lots of happy endings.  Best of luck in whatever you choose!
You are so right!  I need to get off the internet and just wait until I can talk to the doctor.  I just get excited and a bit obsessed and want everything right now.  lol  Oh well, it's exciting stuff, who could blame me.  Thanks for the encouraging words.  You're awesome!
Too old at 38, I just had my son at 38. I wouldnt worry about your age. Thats just like people will get to you too if you let them, they will say you too old! That gets under my skin..lol.

I love too google though, you just gotta be tough enough when you read the info. Not all is bad.And it helps you to know what questions to ask your doctor.You are your best advocate. If I wouldnt have googled I would have seen this site.

I am 37yrs old and had my tubal reversal on 2/22/11. I have had 2 miscarriages and I am 12wks pregnant now and nearing the end of my first trimester and my chances of miscarriage lower greatly! What a relief! So pregnancy after reversal is totally possible. Good luck to u and whatever decision u make! :)
Congratulations on the current pregnancy.  But sorry to hear about the 2 previous miscarriages.  That really scares me.  I want a baby, but the thought of getting excited and then having to go through the sense of loss is something I'm not sure I have the stamina to handle.  My husband and I have had a rough year with loosing family members and I want something exciting and something happy for us to look forward to.  Afraid that having a miscarriage my break us.  Best of luck!