Pregnancy 35+ Community
Why do so many choose the amnio over the CVS??

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

just wondering.
CVS is a much new procedure and not as widely available.  

One of the benefits to CVS is that it can be done sooner than amnio.  
CVS also has higher risk of misscarige than amnio. I believe 1 in 100
Are you testing because of a positive risk factor? I guess so much about which test is best for an individual hinges on what you will do with the results. If you will keep your baby no matter what the outcome, I would skip the tests. If you might consider termination if an abnormality is found I'd take the higher risk CVS (1:100 m/c); it will offer you results weeks earlier than an amnio (1:200 m/c). From everything I've ever read, a late second trimester abortion is really a human tragedy.

I realize many centers that perform amnios regularly quote lower m/c stats.  But I'd always go into the test with a conservative number in my mind, because it could be your reality. While you read of most invasive tests going just fine there is a risk factor placed on it for a reason and it should be seriously considered. I've read at least one post on this forum where sadly one of the moms was the "1" in 100 that m/c due to CVS.

Best of luck on a healthy and worry-free pregnancy :0)
I had a mc after a CVS, so I've since gone with an amnio (had one with DD and with this preg)

My doctors claim a 1 in 1600 risk for either proceedure, but I still think an amnio is safer and as tanker points out, the test has been available longer than CVS.

The thing that stinks about the amnio is you have to wait until at least 16 weeks, and the results can take another 2 weeks unless a 2-day FISH test, which gives prelim results is available.

It really is a personal choice.  If you would never terminate, then there's really no point risking it.  There are also some good screening tests at 12 weeks, but they are not definintive and often give you false positives.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

P.S.  For the record, neither the CVS or amnio were painful.

Thanks for the comments. I called to make an appointment for a NT scan on March 7th she asked if something came back not normal if I would want the CVS. I said I would but hopfully the NT scan is good. So I won;t have to struggle with the chose.,,(sigh) The other thing is, it looks like I'll be without insurance for weeks 15-28.
I hope you get great numbers back from your scan!