Pregnancy 35+ Community
Would you drink non-alcoholic beer while pregnant?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

So, I know that there are some that will say it's okay to drink an occasional beer or glass of wine while pregnant, but I just can't subscribe to that. However, I have been wondering about non-alcoholic beer. There is a small amount of alcohol present, but I've heard it's negligible; BUT it is still there!

Would you drink non-alcoholic beer during pregnancy? Please post comments, as well..I'm very torn about this as I miss the taste of beer and would like to be able to do something other than drink cranberry and sprite when I am out with friends!
57%
 (24) 
Yes, I would drink non-alcoholic beer.
42%
 (18) 
No, I would not drink non-alcoholic beer.
42 Members voted
I said yes, though I don't even drink beer. (not really a beer drinker, I like my Jack and Coke) I think it would be alright to drink it if you wanted to. My OB said that a drink (one drink) every now and again (once a month or so) of wine or beer is fine. I had one glass of wine when I was pregnant with my son (around the Holidays) and I probably will with this one.
I voted no. I just dont think its necessary. Just my personal opinion.
Ok,  I voted no as well,  but mostly its because I am a wine drinker,  but I did not drink at all,  for almost 2 years (during my TWW until I got preggers) and then the whole pregnancy...  and I typically have a glass of wine most every night-  so it was hard not to have that,  but I just stuck with the cranberry and sprite!  

Now,  I don't think a non-alcholic beer will hurt your baby, if you stick to just one every once in a blue moon (blue moon is a beer I do like to drink, actually! :)), but pregnancy doesn't last that long...  :)
I have a MAJOR craving for beer right now, don't know what is it.  I hate beer.  Every so often will order a beer at dinner although I have a few sips and done. DR said perfectly fine every so often
I have 2 O'dules a week on Friday nights when I go out to meet up with my DH and our biker friends.   My Dh figured it up and it would take 6-7 of those O'dules to equal 1 beer. So I feel quite safe in drinking it.

My doc said once I hit the third trimester I can switch to wine. 1-2 glasses a week and it will have no affect on the baby. He said he highly recommends it actually. Helps the preggers Mom to relax. :)
Well i voted not but I drank at a party before i found out I was pregnant, and eveen if I wanted a drink my husband would not allow it he is very over protective when it comes to being pregnant
I voted yes! Its completely fine and if you fancy something other than a glass of sprite then why not!! I have given up all the things I love caffiene ( I crave lattes) chocolate, tea, wine, alcohol fullstop so if  I was offered something that was safe for the baby and tasted nice then I would go for it :)
I would call Motherisk if I wanted an educated answer.  Here's the link:

http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

For me, I wouldn't take the risk.
I voted yes.  I drank NA beer on occasion in my 3rd trimester of this pregnancy.  If you eat food with it, it is totally fine.  Every Friday night hubby would bring home a pizza, and I would have a NA beer, sometimes 2.  Enjoy!
I am a wine drinker...martinis etc..so losing out to beer..is no biggie..some things are better in full format..like low fat cheese is not the same when you are trying to watch your weight...same applies for me with pregnancy...why mess with a good thing..
Ill save it for the real deal...
Cheers with milk in my hand to you all!
Everyone here knows how paranoid I am when it comes to this pregnancy.  I have had extensive conversations with my OB (God, I must drive her nuts with all my questions, but she is sooo patient with me).  Her take is this....even one alcoholic drink is no big deal, especially with food. Your body metabolizes a single drink so quickly it can't really have any impact.  As for the NA beer, there is no real risk there.  Again, you need to always do what you think is best, but I personally feel quite comfortable with it.  I miss wine (not really a beer drinker), and I have found a pretty decent NA wine that I have sometimes.  It's yummy..and the same content as the na beer.  A glass of that (in a proper wine glass) with a warm bath and it really helps me relax.....I think it's the wine glass....
Thanks everyone!  It's not like I want to slam beers on a Tuesday night for the fun of it, but it would be nice to at least have the OPTION when I go out with friends, etc.
i voted yes for the same reason that i occasionally will have a decaf coffee. even if there's a trace amount of alcohol in there, it couldn't hurt the baby. my sister's OB said one glass of wine per day (4oz) is totally acceptable. my midwife seems to be completely anti-. i think some of this is cultural. maybe some europeans can pipe in if there are any following along here. :)

if there was a poll option that said, "No, because non-alcoholic beer is stanky" i would have chosen that one. ;) i've had both virgin margaritas and virgin bloody marys since being pregnant and they both really hit the spot!
Ruby....you made me laugh out loud at the 'stanky' remark! :)  Thanks!!! I needed it desperately!
I wouldn't myself if only because it would feed & perpetuate the cravings.

Fugitive
Ruby, I am European and I say "yes" to an occasional NA beer. I debated for several weeks whether or not to drink a bottle of o'doul's, then I reached the conclusion that the amount of alcohol is so low that it can hardly affect the baby, but it still gives me the pleasure of having a drink with friends without feeling singled out (and the taste of it is not bad enough to put me off). I say "no" to coffee and wine and, trust me, it is hard since I am Italian and I really believe that they are part of my DNA ;)
I say he** ya! My dr said even an occasional beer would be fine. I have a surprise b-day party to go to this Sat. and would love to have a drink. With my history I won't, but I would love to just the same. I see no harm if you want to "fit" in and feel "normal" once in a while.
Everything I have read and heard on the subject says that even the occasional alcoholic drink does no harm. The problem comes with regular drinking and binge drinking.  I think that is why there is so much out there about abstaining completely.  In many countries women will still have a glass of wine with dinner and I am pretty sure that all these countries aren't full of people with fetal alcohol syndrome.  I am certainly not advocating drinking while pregnant, but I really don't think the occasional drink does any harm.  I also most definately don't believe that the .5% beer does any harm at all.  I guess this is another personal choice matter.  
I have a Buckler or O'Douls almost every night with my husband in the front yard while he has a real beer watching the kids play. And, almost every night I'll have a single glass of wine with dinner. To each his own.
and you have 2 + 3/4 beautiful healthy kids to show for it.  So if that's not proof, I'm not sure what is.

I read an article that said that the ones that put out the warnings on alcohol during pregnancy don't trust people to know when to say when, so they totally ban it.  Also, that alot of the dr's out there think its just fine, but can't say that or they could get their license taken away.  As adgal said, I doubt Europe is filled with unhealthy children from an occasional glass of wine.  Our ancestors drank wine and ale/mead because the water wasn't very clean back then, and more recently in the 20th century, they thought it was good for you.  Funny that most of us turned out half decent.:)  I think a drink every once in a while is fine.  I subscribe to the everything in moderation theory.  I had a beer or glass of wine maybe once a week later on in my pregnancy and my child is healthy, active, and so smart (mommy's opinion).  lol  Just my thoughts, each to his own opinion and way of life.
You're so sweet Amanda. I agree that most of the warning is for people that just can't have one. But, people have very strong opinions on alcohol at all during pregnancy.
Well, I'm having a surprise dinner for DH tonight so I got a 6 pack of O'Doul's!  For me, it's more about not feeling excluded or wanting something I can't have. If this tastes good, I think that I will continue to have one during special times.  I have a complex, as it is, about 'being left out', etc. so if this compromise helps alleviate some of that for me, and it's still safe for the baby (which I concur...I think it is), then I feel good about my decision.

But I also concede that it is a very personal and very sensitive topic.  Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts with me on this!! ;)
I will have an occasional glass of beer or wine with my husband or dinner. I've done this with every one of my pregnancies. My doctor actually tells me it's fine, and like the others said, to each his own...and those warnings are more for people that can't stick to just one. I have a close friend that drank a glass of wine every single evening. She had a lot of BH contractions and the wine helped. Of course, this was mostly in the last half of her pregnancy, after all major systems were developed. Same with myself.
everyone has to decide with-in limits what is right for them....  I continued to eat a lot of fish throughout my pregnancy-  at least once or twice a week (crab boils and sushi- the cooked kind)....  I did however cut out the cold cuts...  everyone will fine their own items to exclude and include during pregnancy and everything is probably fine within limits (unless you want an occasional injection of herion or something like that!)!  I think it is great to unwind and enjoy your life, even when pregnant-  so go for it...  I didn't do alcohol, except for perhaps one to two glasses total of wine in the third trimester, but I didn't really crave it or have a terrible hard time with not drinking it....  so I didn't do it...  but I don't think it will hurt anything!  (see kelly and jen both have healthy beautiful children (and LOT of them between the two of them!))...  you'll be fine!  LOL!
I too have to say moderation is the key.  The first few times I was pregnant I was over the top about what I ate or drank, almost to the point of paranoia. I have relaxed quite a bit this pregnancy.  I enjoy coffee (yep, with caffeine) at times, I ate Sushi once and I had a glass of wine at my cousin's wedding (just 1).  I would not have done any of those things previously...and this is the first pregnancy that is healthy!  As Tator said so well, everyone has to set their own limits and stay within their comfort zone.  And of course always do what is healthy for their baby and themselves.  I am the Queen of running everything past my OB as I do really trust her judgment and so far nothing I have done seems to be problematic.  My little guy is doing great and I am a lot more relaxed not stressing over every thing as I did before.  Common sense and moderation are truly the key I think.  
Oh my...I would not get through the day if I didn't have my cup of coffee in the morning! I love my coffee (: I don't do the cold cuts or sushi either. Well, cooked sushi, but is that really sushi?? LOL...
yes...  sushi defined:  "Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed."

Most of the rolls, etc at sushi restrauants contain no raw fish...  now I love them both-  but people give sushi such a bad wrap because everyone thinks it is just raw fish!  :)  

I didn't do the coffee thing,  just because I don't do well with coffee unpregnant...  I drink perhaps 1/2 a cup a day now...  I love it,  it just makes my heart race....  so I was ok with no coffee...  
Interesting tidbit Tator (: Thanks! We had a new sushi bar open up here in Rochester shortly after I found out I was pregnant. I have been DYING to go and try it but I'm making myself hold out until I can experience the full menu, martinis and all (: I hear they have an excellent martini menu. I can't wait! It's the first place I'm going to hit with my girlfriends once I can get out!
yummy....  i heart sushi.....  and martinis!
I voted No, I love wine, Gin and Tonics, and my RAW Sushi but gave it all up since I found out I was pregant.  I figured if I can hold off until the baby arrives safe and sound I will be able to look back and say 'Well Done".  I'm so early into my pregnancy
(10 weeks) that the idea of doing anything other than what I think/know is right to be able to bring my baby full term and healthy is not worth the risk of a loss.  Maybe too exteme but I'm a first time preggy, almost 35 y.o.and full of fears and what if's soo taking a risk is not an option.
there are many virgin drinks that you can partake in.. 9 months is a very short time to give of something for the health of your child