Pregnancy 35+ Community
a heartbeat but no fetal Pole?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

a heartbeat but no fetal Pole?

I was told I was in my 6th week of pregnancy..... they see a sac, yoke and heartbeat but no fetal pole, should I be worried?  I can not find anything about it on the internet....and the nurse said it was strange....
Any help?
At 6 weeks it may be too early yet.  Seeing the sac and heartbeat is a very good sign.  I have heard of many cases when women go for u/s this early and are told there is only a sac/no heartbeat, or fetal pole, only to discover a week or two later it will show up on an u/s.  Did your OB want you to come back in a week or so?  I wouldn't worry until you have another u/s.  Did you have your HCG levels checked yet? Best wishes, and keep us posted!
I agree w/Pam although I'm confused how they saw the heartbeat w/out seeing the fetal pole but as she said, have them repeat the u/s in a week. By then, all should be visible.
Thanks, I never posted on a support site........your responses were apprieciated and helpful.......I go tommoro to see the doctor, they will repeat another u/s in the next 2 weeks.  
I have 2 healthy boys, right now.....17 and 11...... they are finally self sufficient and to have another baby after this long.....well it's scary.
Good luck tomorrow !  It sounds like this pregnancy was a suprise to you, was it? I think it's scary when you find out you're pregnant at any stage in your life. We just get worried about different things depending on our ages and past experiences. It IS different having a baby when you've already gone through the early stages of a family and have reached a higher level personal freedom and your kids are getting independant. My first thought when DB asked me if I would consider TTC was "But I finally got over the fact that my sons don't need me so much anymore and I'm finally actually enjoying the extra freedom I have!" Now of course I feel differently and would dearly love to conceive. When I think of having the older ones and a new little one now I think of all the new things I can teach my older sons about looking after a little tyke and teach them parenting skills and I think of how nice it will be to have them actually be able to help me with the baby because they are old enough to now and don't rely on me for so many things. I just see possibilites now. I'm sure, with time, you'll start thinking about these things too and the "scary" part will fade away some. I really hope it goes well tomorrow for you!
Thank you.  This was a real suprise.... hopefully the positive things like you mentioned will start kicking in....
How old are your boys?  
I think when I know things are going well, I'll be more at ease.  I've had 3 miscarraiges in the past and being 41 and not as fit as I should be....worries me.  I'm concerned about downs syndrome and complications......but I just have to take one day at a time.
its too early..  wait and see..  
I agree with that last comment. It really is awfully early to know what's going to happen. You can't deal with too many unknowns at once I think, even though it's tough to stop the ole mind from racing. As you say, one day at a time. :)  All you can ever really deal with is now anyway and it's tougher to deal with "today" when you're worried about all of the possibilities of "tomorrows" as well. I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriages.
All the best hun.
Suz
It makes no sense that there would be a heartbeat and not a fetal pole.  You probably have a fetal pole.  Did a tech or doctor tell you this?  What was a nurse telling you this?  Did she do the ultrasound?   Nurses don't normally do ultrasound maybe she couldn't identify the fetal poles.   It's more than likely there if there was a heartbeat.  The heart beat will come from the fetal pole.   And idea what the heartbeat was in terms of beats per minute?    You will have a better idea of what's going on at the follow up ultrasound.  I think if the nurse did your ultrasound, she just didn't properly identify the heartbeat.

I think your nurse didn't know what she's was talking about. In order for the heartbeat to begin the fetal pole must be at 4 mm in lenght.....doesn't make sense.....

"the fetal heartbeat is not visible until a fetal pole of up to 4 mm in length is seen. "

I hope you're getting a follow up ultrasound, they will see things better at this point.
I saw the doctor Monday.... I am so upset and confused on what's going on.....
I will get another u/s, tommoro...... I am now told the hcg levels are very high and progestorone is dropping........they say I may be pregnant or I may have a molar pregnancy.....we will see, tommoro.........  since when can't they tell right away if a women is pregnant........  this is frustrating to me.....  I have lots of why questions and I am not getting sensible answers.
After tommoro, I think I need to switch practices.
There would not be a heartbeat if you had a molar pregnancy.  I'm sorry you're going through this...tomorrow you will hopefully find out for sure.  Good luck, we'll be looking for your post tomorrow!  Pam
I am not sure how I missed this post before.  The others are right...a molar pregnancy does not show a heartbeat.  And as far as I know it is absolutely impossible for there to be a heartbeat and no fetal pole..that makes absolutely no sense.  If there was a yolk, a sac and a heartbeat, I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you I guarantee you are pregnant.  I am anxious to see your next post, and I would be looking into switching Dr.s.  Good luck.
They are right ..no heartbeat if molar pregnancy.   When you go tomorrow...make sure you know the following ..

Did they see a heartbeat?  

How many beats per minute.
Did they get a crown rump length measurement.  

there's a gestational and yolk sac right?   this is from last time.  

I think your ultrasound reading was just screwy.....let us know how it all went!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  

By the way...how high are they telling you your hcg levels are?  
Oh and if you're progesterone levels are dropping make sure they give up some progesterone supplement (suppositories, gel, cream whatever. ...this can help if they're dropping)   make sure you get that tomorrow before you decide to change practices!!
It could be that you're experiencing a partial molar pregnancy - I had one of those & there was a baby w/a heartbeat but the pregnancy didn't survive.

They need to closely monitor your hcg levels if you are indeed pregnant w/one.  Get lots of details/information at your next u/s.

So ladies, indeed, a fetus w/a heartbeat can be present during a partial molar pregnancy - not a complete one.  I can attest to that happening plus you can read many other "stuff" about fetuses w/heartbeats in partial molar pregnancies.
I had the ultrasound Wed and they called me yesterday to confirm that I am 7 weeks pregnant.  I did see the baby and heartbeat was 143.  
SEE????  YAY!!!!!  What a difference a week or 2 makes!!!   Great outcome, congratulations!!!!!!
Wonderful !!!!!
That is so awesome!!!!! It is amazing what a little time will do!! Congrats!
Well that is good to know!  I think that is a good heartbeat too.    Good deal!
That's wonderful news!!  143 is a great heartbeat at 7 weeks!  I'm happy to hear your news now you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy - jen
I found this forum because I also have a hb and no visible for sure pole.

Just got back from my ultrasound and we did see and hear a heartbeat. (130bpm)

The tech said she was having trouble getting a crown to rump measurement because what she was measuring she kept thinking must be the yolk sac.

So my question is, Is it possible to have a hb and no pole yet? Does the pole not develop first? In other words, can we assume there is a pole there somewhere because we saw a hb? That maybe the yolk sac is in the way?

LMP puts me at 7 weeks today she said; and that the sac measurement is putting the baby at 6w4d. I know I O'd on cd20.

As I was leaving, I told her that my first OB appt is Monday and that maybe I'll be back in a few weeks. I was thinking so we could see all the parts and make sure we are on track. The tech said she hoped she didn't see me for several weeks. I wasn't sure why.

Here is a pic of my "blob" as she called it.

She said she thinks this is simply the yolk sac and not baby.
http://www.jrmints.com/baby2010/2009_0702_sono.jpg
The tech probably meant that in normal circumstances she usually doesn't see pregnancies until they're 18-20 weeks gestation.

I don't understand though how it is she saw a heartbeat & not a fetal pole.  That just doesn't make sense.  Hopefully on monday, your ob can look at the pics or redo the u/s and make sense of it all.

I looked at your u/s pic but since I'm no expert, I really can't tell - wish I could be more help.  I even looked at a pic of my baby at 7w1d & really couldn't tell anything.  I hope you get good news on Monday!
I feel ya .. i'm on my 3rd pregnancy last was miscarried at 14 weeks. I know i should be 8-9 weeks now, but they are telling me i'm 6. there was a heart beat, gest. and yolk sac, but they are not seeing fetal pole. I go 2morrow for another US.  Dr. finally called me after a week of waiting and told me i was possibly headed for a M/C. makes me wait 2 days for the next US (which is for 2morrow) and no results till monday? grrrr.. I to am switching after all said an done!!  
   They need to put the tech's behind a curtain so u don't read thier expressions!!!!   wish u the best!!! :)  Good things come to those who wait :)