Pregnancy 35+ Community
are enemas safe in pregnancy?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

are enemas safe in pregnancy?

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and very constipated. Is it safe to give myself an enema?
I personally don't think it's a good idea.  I have never tried that, but in all honesty I am a big believer in talking to your Dr. prior to doing anything like that.  Sorry, that's the best I can do with this question.  I can tell you that I (along with most of the pregnant women here) suffered from bad constipation.  I took dried apricots.  A handful of those worked very well for me.  I know some of the other ladies also found remedies that worked.  One ate a lot of carrots and swears by it.  Hope this helps.
Yes I was told by my OB-Gyn that enema are OK occasionally - but you may want to check with yours! She also told me that Colace is also OK for emergency - 3 pills/day.

Earlier in my pregnancy I was very constipated and twice I had to drink some strong phospho liquid. I now take Miralax several times a week - Miralax does not go in the blood so it's more gentle on baby.

But again ask your own doctor as doctors don't always share the same philosophy.
I was told it was okay to do an occassional enema.  I have to say tho that for me it didn't work very well and they usually do.  I have been very constipated and I think I will try what the other poster suggested w/ the apricots.
i've been eating about 5 prunes a day every day for many weeks. it works most of the time, if i'm also drinking enough fluids...
i haven't asked my midwife about enemas so i can't comment on that. i'd be interested to know what your doctor has to say. my guess would be that it's safer early on, but probably not in 3rd trimester...
enemas r totaly safe if used correctly and not often! i myself have struggled with constipation very babdly in this pregnancy and had to go to the hospital once because nothing was working.Aslong as you have tried other methods first like supositories, fiber drinks, colace and senokot,prunes and other fruits and vegitables that r high in fiber ! constipation can be serious if left to long and un fortunitly once it get's to the point when it's unbariable it is usually to late for most of those things as it say's right on them that if u have pains,fever,nausea, chills and shakes to go to doctor's or hospital. sometimes ur just to empacted for an enema to help right away and it might not work till the next day. there is nothing worse then not being able to go to the bathroom especially when ur pregnant and there is not much room in there as it is! i hope this helps but rememeber always consult with a health care professional..