Pregnancy 35+ Community
clomid

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

clomid

hi all
im thinking about talking to my doctor about clomid. has anyone had success with clomid. also wondering about side-effects. ive heard this drug isnt effective in women over 38 years old
anyone have any insight please
I too have heard it's not great for us "mature" women. However, I do know several women on this forum who have had success.  Personally, it did not work for me. It actually prevented me from getting pregnant (apparantly this is common in about 20% of us).  I was on it to increase progesterone and to help me get a good egg, but never conceived on it.  The side effects for me were not horrid, but they were there.  Mood swings, tender breasts, basically all the things I experienced in first trimester.  It tends to mimic pregnancy symptoms because it does increase progesterone levels.  It also lengthened my cycle...I ovulated later then normal.  That is just my experience with it.  As I said, I do know many women who have had success with it.  I will say one additional thing...don't try to order it over the internet or anything. Get it through your Dr. to ensure you stay safe and are on the correct dosage.  It can be a bit dangerous to try it on your own.  Good luck to you whatever you decide!
I am 38 on clomid for the first time.  Not sure if it worked or not, won't know for another couple of weeks so we'll see.  I didn't know about it not being as successful for women over 38, will have to talk to my doc about that one.  The side effects aren't great, for me it has been hot flashes, mood swings, irritability and some breast tenderness.  I'm willing to accept the side effects if it works.  I will let you know.
thanks
im interested in knowing how clomid could prevent pregnancy and why it supposedly doesnt work for older women
Christine
I responded well to Clomid -- better than without and better than with the expensive injectibles; but that was me.  Not all women do.  You won't know until you try it.  I got pregnant twice with Clomid +  repronex/menopur/hmg; the first time ended in m/c, the second in a successful pregnancy -- I'm now 23 weeks!  Oh, and I'm 41 and will deliver at 42.  Good luck.
It can prevent you from getting pregnant by changing your cervical mucus.  It can make it acidic and that will actually kill of the sperm. It's not the norm, I was just one of those it happened to.  Everyone responds a bit differently, and there are many women here who have had success with it.
Hello, I  responded to clomid just like Adgal.It gave me little or no mucus.I was so dry from it being so acidic. After 3 months stopping clomid I am now pregnant.I decided after clomid didn't work for me to try naturally using Vitex and Evening Primrose Oil. I only used these vitamins for 1&1/2 months and got my BFP.  Everyone does respond differently so  you never really know how your body will respond.By the way I am 44!
ive read online that clomid doesnt work for older women because it thins the uterine lining (older women have thinner uterine lining to begin) thus preventing implantation. has anyone's dr mentioned this. was this monitored by your dr while taking clomid?
thanks Christine
Yes, they monitored the uterine lining.  Apparently mine wasn't adversely affected by Clomid.
hi, alot of women have had wondeful experiences and BFP's after a few months of clomid.however, my first and only experience is
probably not what you want to hear. but after my first round of 50mg clomid this past month i experienced:
                  excruciating pain in ovaries while ovulating
                  dry cm when ovulating (makes it very hard to bd when ur supposed to conceive)
                  painful intercourse while ovulating
                  delayed period by almost 4 days (a cruel joke bc makes you think maybe   BFP)
                  2 weeks of dull to medium cramping until AF came
                  temp over 99 every day (i dont know if thats considered a hot flash)
all in all i am not too thrilled but every womans body is different. i am 40 and apparently ovulate on my own so i dont know why the doctor tried this out on me but i dont want to go through that again. i'm very discouraged. hope it works out better for you. ssbd
I took it for 2 cycles of IUI's, no success.  Still having side effects a month after stopping, nausea, strong cramping after ovulating until af.  I actually felt better during af.  Made my lining thinner and had the pain while ovulating.   Did have a very good response follicle- wise to it, still no luck, but I'm 41.  Didn't really notice mood swings, but hubby wasn't here, so maybe that helped; no one around to provoke me.  LOL   good luck!
I am currently on my second round of clomid.  The first round worked to get pregnant, unfortunately it ended in mc around 4 weeks.  They monitored follicles and uterine lining with us.  Ultrasound showed nice think lining on cycle day 11 and two fat follicles measuring around 23.

The jury is still out on this cycle.  I hope to conceive this week.

Side effects for me last time included painful intercourse and pain during ovulation, breast tenderness.

This time, so far I have had headaches, sleeplessness (not sure if that's from clomid or my B vitamin complex or just general "being excited to get preg"), some night sweats.
If your experiencing dry cm on clomid, there are 2 different things that I tried that 6seemed to help a lot.  

Robitussin (yep, the cough syrup).  It has to be the type where robitussin is the ONLY active ingredient.  I would take a few teaspoons a day starting about 5-6 days prior to ovulation, then discontinue it right after o.  It dramatically increased the amount of ewcm.

PreSeed.  You'd have to go to their website to find out where you can buy it. I had to order in online.  It is a "sperm friendly" lubricant that definately helped with BD, both while on and off clomid.  Some claim it actually helps you conceive. I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly makes things more comfortable and won't interfere as most lubricant's will.  I love it.

One other tip for you...when I started clomid my cycles changed significantly.  I o'd a few days later then normal, so for me OPK's were an absolute necessity.  Of course I used them while not on clomid as well, and swear by them.

Good luck!!